Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear mounted Radiators
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MecGen
Hi People
I just tryed to search this topic, no luck?.
Has somebody done this?, I would suspect that
there might be a fatal flaw in the design idea. I am
talking about putting it in the rear bumper, sounds like a good choice except for the targa top thing.... boy I
need pics or links please....I've got ideas.... screwy.gif
Thanx 1000 times
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
Series9
Scott Thacher's Subaru intall w/radiator in the engine bay:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...40&hl=suby&st=0
lapuwali
I know this was discussed recently, like 2-3 weeks ago.

Radiator as in water-cooled engine coolant radiator, or radiator as in oil cooler radiator? If it's water, what engine are you hooking it up to?

I think it's doable for an engine that doesn't want a LOT of cooling (big V8 or rotary), but I don't know that anyone has gone through and tried it. Scott Thatcher is mounting a water radiator in the engine bay for his Soob conversion, but he hasn't finished it, yet.
dmenche914
If you are talking for a water coooled car, I have given it some thought, I'd like to get the radiator in the engine bay if possible, to avoid cutting up the front trunk.

I have thought about running two small radiators on either side of the engine, mounted up near the screened engine lid (use the full screen version, rather than the stock half screen) I would have fans on the radiators blowing out of the eninge bay. Only problems in this mental exercise was:

1. Battery would need to be moved out of the way.

2. The cooling air from under the car would pass the headers ont he way to the radiators, so I'd have preheated cooling air.

Space is tight, and getting a volumous supply of cool air to the radiators seemed un-feasable to me, so the radiator is in the front trunk.

The space probelms are bad enough with a V6, a V8 engine would make matters worse. Now a subaru, or rotary mazda engine might allow more space for engine bay radiators, but still how to get the cool air to them? (short of body side scoops or other outward modifications)

Rear bumper mount for a radiator would not have good air flow I think, plus you still have heated exhaust gas running near it.

Any more thoughts on this???
MecGen
Hey
Ya I've been followind the Suby thred aktion035.gif
But I had mentioned to Scott that I was researching a VR6 engine swap but haven't found anything on that either type.gif
Gotta ta be someone or else ??? cut your car and try it ?
HHhhmmmm
Thanx
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
Pnambic
I *think* Meuller was working on a vr6 and gave it up. I think it was going to need some serious cutting into the front wall of the trunk to get it to fit.
MecGen
Ya know
Today I did a whole 8 hour shift on my car, and was checking out the ideas you had mentioned, at least if it could not get to work, you wouldn't need to hack to much to reverse it,.
Thanx for the Ideas
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
MecGen
Hey Pnambic
I think it was going to need some serious cutting into the front wall of the trunk to get it to fit.

You mean the motor or rad???
beer.gif
Joe
skline
My new neighbor with the 73 914 powewred by a Buick 3800 has his radiator mounted in the rear. If he ever brings it over again I will take some pictures of it. Or maybe I will cruise by there and snap a few. Its interesting what all he did. Drove it from Maine or something like that to here.
riverman
I've done alot of thinking and research about rads for my conversion and these are some of the things I've learned.

A rad needs airflow and and there are two scenarios that work. The rad has to either divide an area where there is high pressure on one side and low pressure on the other or interupt an area of high laminar flow (scenario two causes scenario one).

IMHO, the problem with rear bumper set-up, is that there isn't enough of either. There's a little bit of both, but whether there is enough, is more of a problem for an engineer. The only way to know is to try it, but then you risk f-ing up a nice car in the attempt.
Pnambic
QUOTE (JoeSpark @ Mar 7 2005, 08:06 PM)
Hey Pnambic
I think it was going to need some serious cutting into the front wall of the trunk to get it to fit.

You mean the motor or rad???
beer.gif
Joe

cutting for the motor
smile.gif
MecGen
Cool
Or maybe I will cruise by there and snap a few.

I would reallyyyyyy like to see the pics.
I am aware of the in/out volume, the trunk or sides have to cut for an intake.
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.