Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT replica
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Just interested in views on using a real 6 for a GT replica / tribute car, as opposed to using a standard 70/71 body?

Will the cost of the 6 vin ever be worth it in terms of value and peer appreciation of the finished project?

Would welcome your thoughts

Thanks

Brian / Kate
AZ914
I think if its done right, Porsche steel GT flares, the proper rockers, valences, etc. Professionally done, then I would think it wouldn't de-value the car.
Just my .02
rhodyguy
I think the 6 value result with the flares would be less than the slab sides. Esp after you factor in the cost to buy the flares and shipping, install and paint. Sourcing true GT parts is an expensive and time consuming process. Then you look to buy the parts and build for the GT engine. Do you have access to the crown jewels?
Peashooter
I did that with my six. Real factory flares, proper valence flares, etc. Going for an M471 look really. GT's are hard to emulate without the right parts and a lot of $. Mine was stripped when I got it with the arches all cut out for the flares and the original engine was long gone. If it was an intact car with matching#'s, I might have gone stock, but I like it as is with a warmed up 2.7 six
rhodyguy
A real replica would be 'correct' with just a fixed pass seat fiberglass shell. Check with potential passengers first.
Cairo94507
Yeah, kind depends upon the condition of the chassis you have. Wrecked and cut up fenders, GT flares all day long. Decent body, I would have to ponder that. I love the look of the M471 cars but they have to done correctly.
iwanta914-6
The big question in my mind is, do you want to have fun or just let the car sit hoping in increases in value?

If you like to have fun, do whatever makes you happy. There's nothing sexier IMHO than a GT/M471 optioned 914. Build it how you want it and get out and drive! driving.gif

If you want a concours show piece that never sees the road and increases value, keep it original.
cal914
We have an original 6 engine and tranny to go in the car ,
Kate /Brian
rhodyguy
Noticed your signature. Build the tribute.
EdwardBlume
Do whatever you want. That's kind of the creedo most of us adhere to.
porschetub
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 16 2015, 09:20 AM) *

I think the 6 value result with the flares would be less than the slab sides. Esp after you factor in the cost to buy the flares and shipping, install and paint. Sourcing true GT parts is an expensive and time consuming process. Then you look to buy the parts and build for the GT engine. Do you have access to the crown jewels?

Yea I agree,the standard six conversion is up there enough anyway if done right (ask me how I know),a flat six engine even near enough to GT spec is mental money if the right parts are used,most look @ the cost of a suitable/useable crankcase for example and run for cover.
The cost of the wide body conversion "done right anyone know "?
IMO the valve is up there for a correct 6's converted to M471 as the originals has long been out of what would be considered sane resale prices,build numbers have taken care of that.
So many of the original parts sources have dried up now so recreations are becoming less authentic,that can knock back resale values somewhat.
draganc
QUOTE(cal914 @ Oct 15 2015, 01:42 PM) *

Kate /Brian

This a very important factor for your question. Imho, I would not do it and keep it original.
QUOTE(draganc @ Oct 15 2015, 02:26 PM) *

QUOTE(cal914 @ Oct 15 2015, 01:42 PM) *

Kate /Brian

This a very important factor for your question. Imho, I would not do it and keep it original.

Even if you have the running train, what about the rest of the parts. The sum of the parts = the end product.
Just my .02.
Cairo94507
He might have misspoke, but he said we have "an" original, not "the" original engine/transaxle. If it is numbers matching to the car, then keep it stock. If not, then that leaves the door open for the M471.
toolguy
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 15 2015, 03:41 PM) *

He might have misspoke, but he said we have "an" original, not "the" original engine/transaxle. If it is numbers matching to the car, then keep it stock. If not, then that leaves the door open for the M471.

agree.gif
100% correct what he said. . needs THE original number engine AND trans to be a top dollar car. . without it, the cars value is therefore diminished so do what you want with the body. . as if it is done correctly will not hurt the overall street car value and may increase it

Another route is find who has the car your current engine belongs in and see if they want it back. . that should pay for a really nice 3.0 or 3.2 for your car.
Larmo63
agree.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Oct 15 2015, 04:59 PM) *

Noticed your signature. Build the tribute.

Replica is in progress at a Grand Rapids Michigan shop... biggrin.gif
OllieG
QUOTE(toolguy @ Oct 16 2015, 12:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Oct 15 2015, 03:41 PM) *

agree.gif
100% correct what he said. . needs THE original number engine AND trans to be a top dollar car. . without it, the cars value is therefore diminished so do what you want with the body. . as if it is done correctly will not hurt the overall street car value and may increase it

Another route is find who has the car your current engine belongs in and see if they want it back. . that should pay for a really nice 3.0 or 3.2 for your car.

agree.gif Bang on the money here..if the numbers don't match, I think whether it has flares or not is pretty much irrelevant in terms of value if the car isn't completely original anyway. Build the look you want...and yes, if you want improved performance why not trade up to a larger capacity? I'm putting a 3.0 in mine...some day!
eric9144
Might want to keep an eye on this one to see how the value goes:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-914-6-...em=181901139669
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.