Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stub Axle installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A&P Mech
I am getting ready to install my axles and I am wondering if I should lube the splines of the stub axle before I insert them into the hubs?

ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Oct 15 2015, 06:41 PM) *

I am getting ready to install my axles and I am wondering if I should lube the splines of the stub axle before I insert them into the hubs?

If it's ever supposed to come apart.. it gets anti-seize/grease. If it's dangerous if it comes off... it get's threadlocker.

I say put some grease, or anti-seize on them. The mechanic who has to deal with it later will thank you.
A&P Mech
Thanks for the help George. I put a little grease on the splines and installed them.
ThePaintedMan
aktion035.gif You got it. I mean, that's just my own opinion, but I've always wondered why the factories don't do such things. Seems like there's never any kind of anti-seize on any parts that were intended to be serviced. Parts with splines seem to be the very worst in the "stuck" department. Like I said, everything else that I don't want coming off always gets threadlock. Not sure how you guys do it in the A&P world.
whitetwinturbo
Factory build so that stuff stays together. In-House attorneys frown on stuff coming apart. happy11.gif
DBCooper
Yeah, that stuff never seizes until it's long out of warranty, so no skin off the factory's nose. Just off yours.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.