Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Fuel Cell - new design fits in stock tank location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
Hi all
Wasn't sure where to post this, I put it in Vendor section, but it's not really something we MAKE, thought it might garner interest here...

With the help of Mike Phillips out in Oregon, we've had Fuel Safe design a fully compliant fuel cell for 914's that fits into the stock tank location and holds 14 gallons vs. the PMS tank that holds only 10.

- All fittings come out the top: Pickup (-8), Return (-6), Vent (-6)
- Includes level sending unit that works with the stock gauge (slight wiring adjustment needed at the sending unit connection point)
- Includes high pressure pump mounted internal to the cell
- Capacity of 14 gallons
- Fuel Safe bladder and foam inside
- Aluminum outer shell

Price is $3,495 plus paypal fees and shipping. We are the sole suppliers of this tank.

A few pictures below. The cell comes with the tabs you see on the top front and rear to allow for bracketing/clamping. The clamps you see on the front and rear in the pictures are not included, allowing the owner to determine how they would like to secure the unit. Mike drilled holes directly to the front firewall bulkhead and ran bolts through the top tab to secure it. I preferred making clamps that are bolted to the firewall.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mugs914
I was just about to send you an email asking for details on this thing! You said something about it in one of your other posts and piqued my curiosity. Looks like a really nice part!

Mugs
campbellcj
That looks really great. Obviously will be spendy for most 914 folks but I understand the concept of low-volume manual fabrication.

I have the Patrick cell and have to constantly watch fuel levels. I doubt mine holds even 10 gallons. I typically fill it 3-5 gals at a time in between run sessions. At full boogie my car will burn around 4 gals of 100 in 20 mins, give or take. I don't have a working gauge but the low fuel light works. Never have run out on track yet, but I did coast back into the paddock on empty once...
naro914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Oct 15 2015, 11:27 PM) *

That looks really great. Obviously will be spendy for most 914 folks but I understand the concept of low-volume manual fabrication.

I have the Patrick cell and have to constantly watch fuel levels. I doubt mine holds even 10 gallons. I typically fill it 3-5 gals at a time in between run sessions. At full boogie my car will burn around 4 gals of 100 in 20 mins, give or take. I don't have a working gauge but the low fuel light works. Never have run out on track yet, but I did coast back into the paddock on empty once...

This is exactly why we looked to get something different developed. Papa Smurf uses about 13 gallons per hour, or about 20 gallons in a 90 minute enduro. There was no way to do that with a 10 gallon tank - I'd basically have to run it dry and come in exactly when it was empty then fill 10 gallons.

Yes, its way more expensive than I was hoping it would be and was hoping I could get Fuel Safe to drop the price a bit because all the design work is not done...but no..

One thing I forgot to mention is that as you can see it's built in a full aluminum can...I'll add that above.
campbellcj
I suppose I never really thought about that angle since all my experience to date has been 15-30 minute events/sessions.

Back "in the day" (or now) how did 914's run endurance events - was there an extended or secondary tank fitted similar to the 100L enduro tanks on the 911s? Or they just pitted every hour? There's just not much additional room for fuel besides the passenger seat/floor or rear trunk which obviously aren't ideal/safe/allowed.
naro914
Nornally, they just put it up front on the floor as a big square box...we just don't have that room...as you can see in one of the pictures
brant
Factory endurance cars had a tank like the 911 (100L)

We run about 16 gallons worth of aluminum cell on the trunk floor due to our odd cooler placement

Rule of thumb at our builders shop is 10 gallons for 4/cylinder. 12 gallon min for 6 cylinders
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 16 2015, 08:10 AM) *

One thing I forgot to mention is that as you can see it's built in a full stainless steel can...I'll add that above.

Looks like aluminum not stainless.
Very nice.
naro914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Oct 17 2015, 01:16 PM) *

Looks like aluminum not stainless.
Very nice.

Of course it's aluminum... 0.063 aluminum to be exact...why would I have said stainless... confused24.gif
The mind is the first thing that goes when you get older...
naro914
Here's another picture I took today with a much less 'in your face' FuelSafe logo...

Click to view attachment
slivel
QUOTE(naro914 @ Oct 21 2015, 11:01 AM) *

Here's another picture I took today with a much less 'in your face' FuelSafe logo...

Click to view attachment

I sent my stock tank to Fuel Safe and they converted it to a legal fuel cell for much less money....not as pretty and shiny but functional. Sorry about the lousy photo quality. The tank first had the corners notched to accommodate the camber boxes before being converted to a cell. I think it has a 14+ gal capacity after conversion. This was done about 15 years ago but I sent the tank back to Fuel safe two years age to have the bladder replaced due to age. Bladder replacement was about $1500 as I recall.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.