Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interest in a Driveway Strip&Paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
I am going to strip all the existing paint off this car and repaint it in my driveway. I was wondering if any of you would be interested in a step by step thread as I go along? I will be using a chemical stripper to remove all the paint and then sand what it doesnt get. Any bondo in the car will be removed and I will take the dents out the way they should have been. Then I will shoot the car in an Epoxy primer and then block it and shoot it again and then a final block and paint a single stage bright yellow. Would you all be up for a progress thread? I figured I would post now and then create a new thread with the progress.
Aaron Cox
hell yeah! show pics......

i gotta do this myself..... sad.gif
skline
Oh, This is what the car looks like now, I am starting on it tongiht.

spare time toys
I painted a moterbike in our garage at the old house. It took a long time for the smell to get out of the house. And longer for the wife to forget I did this Yack.gif chair.gif
Twystd1
Let me get this straight Scott....

Your REALLY asking us about what we think of you doing a strip job in your driveway... And then covering up your sexual fantasy by including some paint BS to cover up the real motive of your question......

BRO!!!!!

You have been hanging around Aaron way Too long...........

UUUUrrrr... Ummmm.. BurrrrPppp..... ErrrGgggg....

Fukit, Go ahead.....

Twystd1

PS: Your welcome Aaron
ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Aaron Cox
blink.gif
iamchappy
Do yourself a favor and take it south of the border. Plan on investing in a lot of money in stripper, etch primer, build primer, sealer, top coat paint, solvent, sandpaper, and body putty, plus your time which adds up if your unexperienced.
You can do a nice paint job yourself but expect to make mistakes.
McMark
Isn't this what Blogs are for? wink.gif lol2.gif
iamchappy
Please do show us all the steps as you go along and the empty beer bottles.
I will stay tuned, Good luck.

skline
Well, I have done this before on several cars. Even did a few vans back in the day when there were true custom vans. This will be my second 914 I painted myself. Stripped it the same way. I already have all the materials. I want to at least have it all in primer by the WCC. So the first coat of primer with be the etching primer and sealer. Then with any luck, I will have it blocked and reshot with a sandable filler primer. Then drive it to win at the track at WCC. Look for this car to do well in the race. Should be fun.

It will be empty Propel bottle as I dont drink beer. biggrin.gif
JoeSharp
RIGHT
biggrin.gif Joe
JB 914
QUOTE (Joe Sharp @ Mar 7 2005, 07:46 PM)
RIGHT
biggrin.gif Joe

How DARE you doubt Scotty....................... cool_shades.gif
Mrs. K
smilie_pokal.gif Go for it! What color are you going to paint it?

Lisa rolleyes.gif
bd1308
not to be a asshole, but how are you going to prevent leaves and fuzz and stuff from sticking to the car while it dries for a day and a half?
MattR
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Mar 7 2005, 08:15 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif Go for it!  What color are you going to paint it?

Lisa  :rolleyes:

which car, whitesoontobeyellow?

Dunno, maybe dodger blue? rolleyes.gif

lol2.gif
914GT
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 7 2005, 09:20 PM)
not to be a asshole, but how are you going to prevent leaves and fuzz and stuff from sticking to the car while it dries for a day and a half?

A friend of mine told me his neighbor once painted his car in the driveway. He got it all done and was admiring his work, then a dust devil blew through and leaves, paper, you name it was stuck all over it. I can just imagine what it looked like, and how many 4 letter words were shared with his neighbors!

I think you could get away with it on a very calm day. For sure it's going to have some dust nibs and stuff in it. Not a show car finish. You can make it look better with sanding and buffing. I would definitely not use enamel outdoors, use acrylic lacquer or polyurethane - something that flashes and isn't still sticky after a couple hours. Your neighbors will love you for painting outdoors. Overspray can drift for a long distance, plus everybody will know you're painting when they smell it.
Aaron Cox
why not put plastic up in your garage.... wet the floor (to keep the dust down) and then close the plastic behind you?

wear a respirator
drew365
Why paint it? It looks better than my car. rolleyes.gif
John
I would seriously consider doing the final topcoat indoors for the exact reasons some others have brought up.

I have done several cars in the past and know that dirt sucks.

I usually wet down the floor and spray away. The water on the floor traps dirt and keeps overspray from adhering to the floor. I usually covered everything else in the garage with heavy plastic.

Good luck.

P.S. I prefer to do cars at home in the winter as the bugs (especially the gnats) are all dead then.
skline
Ok, The top coat will be done in the garage but the primer can be done out in the driveway. The white car will be painted yellow. The Chalon will be painted Cobalt Steel Blue. I will be renting a booth to do the Chalon as it will be a 2 stage paint. A single stage I can do here in the garage. The results will be posted in the progress thread so you will all see how it comes out.

J P Stein
I will NEVER paint another car. It's kinda like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.... it feels so good when ya stop.
Series9
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Mar 7 2005, 10:33 PM)
I will NEVER paint another car. It's kinda like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.... it feels so good when ya stop.

I'm willing to watch Scott hit himself in the head with a hammer.
Mrs. K
QUOTE (MattR @ Mar 7 2005, 08:43 PM)
QUOTE (Mrs. K @ Mar 7 2005, 08:15 PM)
smilie_pokal.gif Go for it!  What color are you going to paint it?

Lisa  :rolleyes:

which car, whitesoontobeyellow?

Dunno, maybe dodger blue? rolleyes.gif

lol2.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Great idea Matt! Go Dodgers!

Lisa lol3.gif
Rand
The last car I painted outdoors turned out great, but I did have a few choice words to say about one gnat in particular. I was under a carport and started early in the morning in hopes of avoiding bugs and breezes, but... along comes a giant gnat, lands right in the middle of the hood in the wet paint. Of course then they get stuck and struggle for their lives... it writhed and flapped and rolled and... Doh! I picked part of it out, but it left a track. Fortunately it buffed out pretty good.
bd1308
skline, i hope you do a fantastic job on this paintjob. I was just wondering about painting it outside, but it seems you have it taken care of. I would seriously like to learn how to do this.
Jenny
Shoulda left him there as a warning to all the other gnats. smash.gif

Jen
skline
Ok, Second day of working on the car and its not even noon yet. I got the car pretty much stripped of bolt on stuff. Found rust in some places I didnt expect but should have and no rust where I thought there would be. So good and bad. It will all need to be fixed. I am open to suggestions on the rust repair that needs to be done in the front trunk gutter. Pics to follow. Here is the nose, I still have to remove the fogs and horns.
skline
Front trunk, no rust!! Yeah
skline
Rear trunk, you can hardly tell but the back lip is not as it should be, I have pulled it out a little but it still needs more. I have a new deck lid for it and it must fit right.
skline
Driver side sail panel, I almost expected rust here and on the other side. Lucky me!!
skline
Passenger side sail panel, no rust here either. I like that.
skline
The rust I need to fix, not sure how yet, but I will figure out something, cant leave it there. Any suggestions?
skline
More rust to repair
skline
Drivers side rust in channel
skline
A naked rear!!!
Aaron Cox
are you dropping the engine to do the engine bay and all?

BTW... dont forget the inner sail panel! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
skline
I am going to weld in the holes on the sail panel, for those of you who wish to do this and dont have a welder, you can also use a propane torch and some lead or silver solder. I would not use bondo as it can shrink and leave marks. Welding is the best bet.
Rand
Shoulda left him there as a warning to all the other gnats.

laugh.gif
Yes! Dang, I wasn't thinking straight.
skline
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 8 2005, 12:06 PM)
are you dropping the engine to do the engine bay and all?

BTW... dont forget the inner sail panel!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I did that on the one before and had to go back after I got it all done and paint there. What a pain that was. I have not decided if I am going to drop the motor or not, if you want to come help me remove it and reinstall it when I am done, then sure. Actually, I am only going to do primer before the WCC so no, but when I get ready to do the color I will pull the engine. Might as well. Plus I have some welding to do in there to repair the engine shelf.

Lunch break and then back to stripping paint. With any luck I will have it all stripped today.
SLITS
Let A-aron Admin weld it.....he'll do a gud job... unsure.gif thin strips of metal to replace that which is rusty or just clean it, por-15 it and glue the seals in.

I have no clue.....................
Howard
So, Scott. What are you doing in your spare time these days? cool.gif
fiid
Is it dumb to rub down the existing paint and then paint over it? Why?

Just wondering....
skline
QUOTE (fiid @ Mar 8 2005, 01:00 PM)
Is it dumb to rub down the existing paint and then paint over it? Why?

Just wondering....

Well, if the body is perfectly straight and no body work needs to be done you could sand the whole car down and prep it and then block it and shoot a new coat over the factory paint, but anytime there is a non factory respray, it is best to strip it off and do the whole thing over again. Besides, I am doing a color change, not that I dont like green, but I want the car to be Yellow. Its a personal prefference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.