Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I believe I have set the world record
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
First I would like to thank McMark for the great article which has enabled everyone else in the club do this in 3 hours. Somehow in my overzealous excitement I must have missed the part that said.....

"No matter what you do or how hard you try, Jerry, you will never....ever get the rear transmission mount bolts out because some sadist has welded what appears to be a crazy metal heat shield over top of the muffler and within 1 inch of the head of the bolt to make double sure that you will have no chance in hell of accessing the otherwise inaccessable head of the bolt....and turning the the nut will of course just make it all just spin and spin and spin." laugh.gif headbang.gif

Ok...venting done. So what would you guys do? Impact wrench.....a one inch long vice grips....sawzall? Anyone? The mounts are toast already anyway.

skline
Show us what you are dealing with, I am sure we can help you. I have dropped the engine and tranny in 30 minutes. There are others more challenging and it has taken me up to 2 hours.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
mightyohm
That heat shield is supposed to be there!

I use a 10mm wrench to keep the bolts from turning (on top of the mount) and another wrench to loosen the nuts. There should be enough room to fit a wrench in between the heat shield and the transmission mounts but it is tight.
Allan
agree.gif I didn't have that problem. Pictures would help alot. wink.gif
scotty914
or just undo the big nut, its a 19 mm. put a wrench on the top and use a ratchet to undo the nut.

it takes some wiggling to get the bolt out of the ears due to the angle but it can be done and shot tranny mounts makes it easier.

on the porscharu, the motor bar is basicly on the balance point of the tranny/motor, so i just unbolt the mounts, lower the car and the engine bar bolts are on top of the engine bay, i just stand there and crank it down
JerryP
Sorry for the lack of pictures. I left my camera at work. I know the heat shield is supposed to be there. I was just ranting. I tried for an hour to get a box wrench, socket...even just wedge a screw driver between the head and the side of the moutn but as soon as I turn the nut even a little everthing just slips off. I have a very small vice grips and even that has no room to get in there. Hmm....maybe a small needle nose vice grip would do it.
JerryP
Thanks. I'll try the big nut approach.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.