Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Winches (for trailers etc)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Subject says it. Anybody have feedback regarding the budget winches from Harbor Freight, currently on sale for $49 (!) versus the big brand names like Superwinch etc that go for >$200 ?

I am pretty much convinced that this is the "way to go" in terms of loading and unloading the car from the trailer. Mostly loading. (Our good buddy Mr. Gravity helps a lot with unloading.) Especially if the car is broke. (Or some future non-running project).
EdwardBlume
Do you have a link for this wench?? I'm looking to install a removable one. Thanks, R
L8Apex
This one?

IPB Image

Click here for link to site

I have been thinking of one of those for my trailer also.

Give me feedback!
EdwardBlume
Thats exactly what Im looking for. Thanks! R
L8Apex
please! someone take a hit for the team and buy one to test out! hehe dance.gif

-Terrance
jonwatts
Ha! I've been tempted to buy one every time I see they are on sale, and I don't have a trailer!

Maybe I should contribute one to the community (mueller) trailer smile.gif
URY914
I use to use a small Superwinch to load my car, but I took it off. It became a PITA after a while. It just takes too long to load the car. If the car is working-drive it up on the trailer. You get use to driving it on after awhile. I now carry a "come-a-long", a hand operated cable winch if I break the car. But I've only used it maybe twice.

Paul
Blynes
I bought one.

They are junk.

I took it back.

BL
MJHanna
I bought one for my open trailer I liked that you could take it off and not worry about it. But it sucks as far a usage. It will only pull forward. Cannot use it in reverse. Real pain to get the “slippage correct to get it to wind-up. Hated to use the damn thing. finger.gif On my enclosed trailer I bought a small Warn winch (1000) works great! Only draw back is it does not have the long cord with the switch on it. Its 150 bucks at Tractor Supply Co. way better than the Harbor Freight one. stones.gif
john rogers
I've had the Harbor Freight winch for about 3 years and have had to use it more than I'd like to but it works great. I put a 12 volt plug at the rear of my two vehicle and plug the winch into it (also used for the power jack) and have had no issues. I even tried the hand crank once but it takes a long time to hand crank the car on. I'd highly recommend it.
fuch toy
I had one.....it worked....OK. Next one will be the more pricey model. You get what you pay for.
J P Stein
I had to winch my car up into the shop....about 120 feet, up hill. I have a Warn 2500.....not top of line, but not cheep either.

By the time it was half way, "magic smoke" was boiling out of it. My buddy says " I know that smell.
It's the epoxy on the armature". Lovely...hay, it still works...I doan wanna know how it looks inside.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.