Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedy delivery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
i had never riden in a v-8 or a 6 car, let alone driven either flavor. today i had the pleasure of driving, deliverying, craig's new, flared, 75' 8 clyinder beast, fron seattle to portland. great car. very well manered while cruising at a moderate rate of speed. the same behavior while rolling at a less than moderate speed. the car really makes the leap from 70 to 110 at a amazing rate, but not in a fashion that leaves you wondering. now i only did this one time dry.gif . pity the hapless young sprat in the mustang cobra who thought he could goad the old timer that was just putting along. he was a mere speck in a heatbeat. his bad to think the 2 huge pipes sticking out the of the valance were all for show and not for go. thanks craig, i won't forget the morning

you may be wondering how i got home. did i take a fast motor boat? a speedy jet plane? an atomic train? oh no. got to drive the "used to be dan root's" flared 6. i got lots of thumbs up during commute traffic. a guy that was working maintanace at a rest stop asked me if there was a car show in the area today. he said the orange car was the second 914 he had seen today. i asked him if he saw the first one this morning, was it flared too, and was it yellow? "yes it was. how did you know?" great day. great weather, and a great drive. anyone else need a car delivered?

k

sj914
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 7 2005, 07:26 PM)
the car really makes the leap from 70 to 110 at a amazing rate, but not in a fashion that leaves you wondering. now i only did this one time dry.gif .

You sure you weren't a valet attendant in a former life.
VegasRacer
So if you could have kept the keys to one of them, which one would you choose?
skline
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Mar 8 2005, 04:13 AM)
So if you could have kept the keys to one of them, which one would you choose?

Excellent question, I would be interested in that answer as well.
Root_Werks
Actually Kevin, I would be interested in your answer to that question myself. After owning the flared orange car and driving the V8 car I know my answer. I would choose the six for these reasons:

The six is just true to what the 914 was meant to be. It is a more refined power.

Although the V8 has POWER happy11.gif I didn't like how the wieght was placed up higher in the car.

I could easily push the six out of the garage by hand. The V8 I had to prop my legs against something and PUSH. Obviously a wieght difference which can be felt while driving it.

Craigs was the first V8 car I had ever driven and I am glad I did. It is a very well done car, very tight.
red914
why is it, Kevin, that i get this vision of the slow motion airborn ferrari scene from "ferris bueller's day off," only it isn't a ferrari, it is you in the V8 914?

glad you hsd fun. tell us more at breakies on saturday!
rhodyguy
tough choise. with a tall limit on the visa for fuel the 8 would be a swell car for road trips. i think the added weight would be a disadvange for hard carving and zero practicality for auto crossing and it's terrible on a congested freeway. it's a bit overwellming the first time in a v-8. the 8 engine is an agressive unit and i'm sure i would get a ticket or 2 in short order. what i didn't mention was how quiet it was. much more so than my 4 with webers for cabin noise blink.gif don't get me wrong, the 6 is fun too. bottom line is 2 cars would be the optimum setup. i think i get what howard has going with moby AND suzie. so if i had to choose between the 2, i guess i would say i don't know wacko.gif . i'll be calling you around 11 dan.

k
Root_Werks
Sounds good man.

Yeah, I didn't mention that the V8 was quieter than the six. Water jackets make a difference. wink.gif And that V8 felt right at home humming along at 3500rpm's. Very well built engine and car. driving.gif
boxstr
Weight, you can definetely feel the difference in the six and eight when I tow dolly either car. The eight takes much more throttle to get rolling than the six, and I notice it in gas mileage also.

A few weeks ago I tow dollied the 8 up to Dan in Seattle, dropped it and then loaded the 6 and towed it back to Portland.
Felt like the rear calipers were dragging.
CCLINPOWERSTRANSPORT
rhodyguy
the 6 is quieter than my car too dan. i'm not refering to the exhaust either. i have no idea why the 40idfs are so droning. not having to down shift crossing the syskious on I-5 would be a lot less work too. "ok. i'll just give it a bit more throttle".

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.