Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Painting cost
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Dumb question.....I'm looking at a 914 FS that is rust free but has tired paint. What's the average cost for a high end driver quality paint job - body, both trunks, door jambs, etc. with no metal work required. +/-$10K ????
nine9three
QUOTE(Cal @ Oct 16 2015, 09:48 AM) *

Dumb question.....I'm looking at a 914 FS that is rust free but has tired paint. What's the average cost for a high end driver quality paint job - body, both trunks, door jambs, etc. with no metal work required. +/-$10K ????

$8k - $10, yes.
JDW914
Mine only cost about $5K for exterior only and turned out exceptionally well. However, I stripped all the old paint down to bare-metal and did a bit of smoothing myself. The car was also pre-stripped of trim and fittings beforehand, so it didn't need masking. The more preparation you can do yourself without hindering the body shop, the cheaper it'll be.
bandjoey
For the same color respray I'm trying this right now. At upper end new car dealer pre owned lots there's always a good freelance painter. I'm buying the paint, and prepping the car. LOTS of sanding and trim removal. He's charging $1000 to spray. He's doing the hood (off the car) to see how it looks. Let you know how it turns out next week.

For $10k it should look like a new car when you get it back.
jimkelly
paint is more than most cars cost to buy or build, and this is sadly why my car will be dog ugly forever barf.gif
Jamie
One of the advantages of living in a small mid-western town is the lower cost of many services. I had Mistress painted 2 yrs. ago, he took the exterior down to bare metal and did a fabulous job with the original Delphi Green from Germany. There was no rust restoration needed, and she looks like new for cost of $3100. He has done several jobs for me in the past, and just works at his own speed, in this case 3 wks. Town and Country body shop, Georgetown KY, and I'm a happy driver! bye1.gif
rhodyguy
Worth it to ship a running car to KY for paint than having it done where I live. Guys are spending rediculus amounts for paint jobs. If the day ever comes, I'll be looking out of state.
saigon71
I was looking for the same thing a few years back, a good quality driver paint job.

Stop in at a few private restoration & paint shops and talk to them. You can save money by doing the prep work.

I've got under a grand invested in my paint job, which includes all supplies and the cost to sand it down after I screwed up the paint the first time. dry.gif

Car was not stripped, this was it's 2nd respray, but careful attention was paid to prep work on the existing paint.

I'm perfectly happy with the single stage acrylic enamel. You're not too far from me, PM me for the guys contact info if interested.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.