Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to feel out the market for a trade?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Thinking of getting off my unrestored (and very badly rusted nearly taco'd) LE.
Actually, I would prefer to trade it for a 5-lug tub without an engine or trans.
Where would it be best to test interest for something like that, here or the classified's (rules in classified's stipulate placing a price on all posts)?
Chime in admins.
Mueller
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Oct 16 2015, 03:49 PM) *

Actually, I would prefer to trade it for a 5-lug tub without an engine or trans.
Where would it be best to test interest for something like that, here or the classified's (rules in classified's stipulate placing a price on all posts)?
Chime in admins.

I think posting as many detailed pictures here wouldn't be a bad idea to get a general pricing feel.

Just from your description, I wouldn't trade a 4-lug chassis without a drive train for an LE in that bad of condition.

HalfMoon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 16 2015, 07:41 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Oct 16 2015, 03:49 PM) *

Chime in admins.

I think posting as many detailed pictures here wouldn't be a bad idea to get a general pricing feel.

Just from your description, I wouldn't trade a 4-lug chassis without a drive train for an LE in that bad of condition.

Here's a link to photobucket. Some 20 pictures. If there's interest in more (detailed) images I'll spend some time to take them and upload to photobucket.
http://s32.photobucket.com/user/david16481...ibrary/914%20LE
Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
unsure.gif

Hope it looks better underneath. shades.gif
boxstr
Take as many pics as you can and post it on the 914 world, pelican and Craigslist and the Samba. Get it out there as much as you can that's the only way anyone will know that it's available.
Craig at CAMP
HalfMoon
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 17 2015, 12:18 AM) *

unsure.gif

Hope it looks better underneath. shades.gif

No. It doesn't.
This will be a VERY major restoration effort involving a large sum of money and skill.
It was rescued days before the PO was to send it off for destruction. I only saved it as it's an LE.
This would not be for the faint of heart.
As my pal Dr. Evil has said of it, "that things a zombie"
But what would you have done, right? Let an LE go off to the crusher?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(boxstr @ Oct 17 2015, 12:53 AM) *

Take as many pics as you can and post it on the 914 world, pelican and Craigslist and the Samba. Get it out there as much as you can that's the only way anyone will know that it's available.
Craig at CAMP

Good tip Craig. I'm in the process of posting it all over. It's also at the fb LE group. Over the next few days I'll be posting it at all the usual places.
It's been in my garage for too long already. Between poor health, other projects and the amount of money and resources to do the kind of restoration this would require...well, ya'll get the picture.
HalfMoon
Close to taco :-(
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JoeDees
I'm a car optimist, but that thing's toast.
JeffBowlsby
Its technically savable with enough time/skills/money. 1 of only ~150 surviving and it has important parts with it. I would learn to weld and take it on if it were nearer to me. Please do not destroy this one.

You will probably have better luck just selling it and buying the tub/parts you would rather have than trade it.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 18 2015, 08:06 PM) *

Its technically savable with enough time/skills/money. 1 of only ~150 surviving and it has important parts with it. I would learn to weld and take it on if it were nearer to me. Please do not destroy this one.

You will probably have better luck just selling it and buying the tub/parts you would rather have than trade it.

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif

This would be a cool project for someone with mad skills....
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 18 2015, 11:06 PM) *

Rest assured Jeff, I have no intention at all of allowing it to be destroyed and will only sell or trade to someone I feel VERY confident will restore it. Failing that, I will keep it and continue it's dry storage (although as we all know...rust never sleeps).
Agree important parts-dealer installed AC, rear window defrost, intermitent wipers and even the electric antenae option. Not many had this level of both dealer and factory options.

Help me find someone who you think would undertake the level of restoration it surely deserves?
D
r_towle
I will bite, how much?
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Oct 18 2015, 08:41 PM) *

Rest assured Jeff, I have no intention at all of allowing it to be destroyed and will only sell or trade to someone I feel VERY confident will restore it. Failing that, I will keep it and continue it's dry storage (although as we all know...rust never sleeps).
Agree important parts-dealer installed AC, rear window defrost, intermitent wipers and even the electric antenae option. Not many had this level of both dealer and factory options.

Help me find someone who you think would undertake the level of restoration it surely deserves?
D

Those parts are not significant. I was talking about the 2.0L engine with FI (is it the original case?) and the front spoiler. If you want I will put your email on the LE Registry indicating its for sale and so a buyer can contact you.

It will be a tough sell though because it needs so much work. Its one of those "for love, not money" types of projects.

You may just need to be content that a future owner will save it and not cut it up, it will not be a money maker.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 18 2015, 11:50 PM) *

I will bite, how much?

Send me an offer via PM
D
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 18 2015, 11:55 PM) *

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Oct 18 2015, 08:41 PM) *

D

Those parts are not significant. I was talking about the 2.0L engine with FI (is it the original case?) and the front spoiler. If you want I will put your email on the LE Registry indicating its for sale and so a buyer can contact you.

It will be a tough sell though because it needs so much work. Its one of those "for love, not money" types of projects.

You may just need to be content that a future owner will save it and not cut it up, it will not be a money maker.

Well those parts obviously are valuable. I presume the case numbers are right, but I need to make sure. I'll check it out tomorrow.
As an aside, I've not seen many COA's that had these many options on one LE. As I understand it COA's wouldn't have the dealer options listed but would have the factory options listed? I believe it may have all the factory options.
Yes, please indicate on the registry that is up for sale, thank you. And, no it will not make money due to the extensive cost of a restoration either in terms of money or effort. As I've said before, the only reason I saved it was due to it being an LE. Had it been anything other than an LE I would have parted it long ago.
I had originally thought I may undertake the task but failing health now makes me aware my limited ability to do so.
But, at the end of the day, if I can't find someone who intends to restore it, I'll let it sit in my garage forever. I'm certainly not looking to make money on it. I just can't bear to see it destroyed or parted. It'd be nice to reclaim some garage space though...winters here can be brutal and my daily driver could use a nice warm garage.
HalfMoon
Interior
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Will do. I have not seen the COA for this LE...can you post it here or email it to me?
HalfMoon
Perplexed. Engine number indicates 1975 or 76. I expected a GA or GB motor number. Perhaps Jeff can shed some light? Were any of the LE's built with a GC engine or has is this in fact had a replacement engine?
Addedum-this can't be the engine number. Missing a 0Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JeffBowlsby
Replacement engine Dave. Sorry.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 19 2015, 02:03 PM) *

Replacement engine Dave. Sorry.

The number (according to the below linked chart) is missing a zero? What does that mean?
http://www.p914.com/p914_vin.htm
JeffBowlsby
Doesn't mean anything. The car has a 1976 2.0L engine. Not the end of the world, but does affect the value because its not the original engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.