Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any suggestions for head work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shelby/914
Title says it all. Need to get a set of 2.0L heads refurbished. Currently using my origional '76 s with the air injection ports plunged until one blew out last week. Threads are gone, the tube drops all the way into the head now. Need to either have these fixed or refurb the spare set of '73 s in the garage. No longer have to do smog based on where the car is registered.
colingreene
EMW in california.
DBCooper
DRD: http://www.drdracingheads.com/
Headflow Masters: http://www.headflowmasters.com/
914work
Thats news. When did Len stop taking on "individual's" business?
shelby/914
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 16 2015, 10:37 PM) *

Sent them an email yesterday about getting a set worked on. They replied today saying that they were no longer servicing used heads but were concentrating on new ones sold by the type 4 store.

Dan
r_towle
All of the above places have good reputations.

Headflow masters has been around for quite a while and is solid.
Elliot Cannon
Here. http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/
HAM Inc
Hi all.

Just want to clarify and speak directly to the 914 community on the subject of our policy regarding t4 heads and who we do business with.

We do still work with individuals for many different cylinder head offerings, just not used T4 heads - for that matter we do not offer our T4 re-man service for shops either. It's not just individuals.

In 2014 we had over 20 sets of T4 heads sent in and only 3 met our high standards for our reman service. Can't make a living off numbers like that.

Add to that the facts that combined demand from the t4store and Jake's T4 engine shop is very high, along with demand from pro shops for our modern Porsche and BMW service, sprinkle in some 356/912 and aircooled 911 head work, scca race prep of honda and mazda and bmw and it becomes obvious that something had to go. Given the poor overall state of the available T4 core bank it was no-brainer.

We will re-visit this policy next year, but I do not see it changing as long as amc castings are available.

The amc castings are fantastic, though the seats and guides and retainers are garbage.

We have been working with amc heads for over twelve years and there has been no change in the valve seat and guide materials. They are still the same super soft, crappy parts they were when we started. AMC has not improved the quality of those parts. Not sure where that bit of mis-information originated, but we can confirm those parts are still piss-poor.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Oct 17 2015, 06:49 AM) *

Hi all.

Just want to clarify and speak directly to the 914 community on the subject of our policy regarding t4 heads and who we do business with.

We do still work with individuals for many different cylinder head offerings, just not used T4 heads - for that matter we do not offer our T4 re-man service for shops either. It's not just individuals.

In 2014 we had over 20 sets of T4 heads sent in and only 3 met our high standards for our reman service. Can't make a living off numbers like that.

Add to that the facts that combined demand from the t4store and Jake's T4 engine shop is very high, along with demand from pro shops for our modern Porsche and BMW service, sprinkle in some 356/912 and aircooled 911 head work, scca race prep of honda and mazda and bmw and it becomes obvious that something had to go. Given the poor overall state of the available T4 core bank it was no-brainer.

We will re-visit this policy next year, but I do not see it changing as long as amc castings are available.

The amc castings are fantastic, though the seats and guides and retainers are garbage.

We have been working with amc heads for over twelve years and there has been no change in the valve seat and guide materials. They are still the same super soft, crappy parts they were when we started. AMC has not improved the quality of those parts. Not sure where that bit of mis-information originated, but we can confirm those parts are still piss-poor.

Thanks for this. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Didn't someone build new heads? What do you recommend a T4 person do then?
HAM Inc
QUOTE(914werke @ Oct 16 2015, 09:37 PM) *

Never stopped taking in work from individuals. Please see my detailed response above.
HAM Inc
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 17 2015, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Oct 17 2015, 06:49 AM) *

Hi all.

Thanks for this. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Didn't someone build new heads? What do you recommend a T4 person do then?

Our new, cnc heads based on amc castings are available from the type4store.

The RS+ heads come standard with cnc machined 2.0 914 combustion chambers with 2.0 914 plug angles, cnc machined ports, 3 intake studs, cylinder head temp sensor threads, HD single springs with optional dual crowers available.

They are plug and play replacements for the factory 2.0 914 and 912E heads. The RS+ heads outflow the factory heads, but do so with 1mm smaller intake throat diameter so they have improved performance of flow and mixture velocity.

We also still offer through t4store our LE 200's which are the top of the line for unwelded port volume and flow. They are serious power makers.
EdwardBlume
Cool. Thanks!
r_towle
In an effort to be fair and compare the price of buying the new replacement heads today versus waiting months to get an older set of heads rebuilt, I tried to go to the store to get some pricing to share in this thread.

The store does not work with IPad or phone.

Good luck people.
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Oct 16 2015, 10:51 PM) *

agree.gif Jorge at European motorworks..you may be familiar with their former name of Eurorace if you have been around 914/924s in the 80's.
cary
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 17 2015, 07:20 AM) *

In an effort to be fair and compare the price of buying the new replacement heads today versus waiting months to get an older set of heads rebuilt, I tried to go to the store to get some pricing to share in this thread.

The store does not work with IPad or phone.

Good luck people.

Short Version

These heads have altered ports that are shaped by Len Hoffman to create an awesome set of heads for the medium displacement engines that are so popular today. Created as a lower cost offering to that of the LE 200 heads, these RS+ heads are perfectly fitted to 2 liter- 2270cc engines where torque and usable Horse Power at lower engine speeds are most desired. The ports of the RS+ heads are specifically designed to boost operation in the mid-lift zone and due to that the camshafts used with these heads are specifically set up to compliment this characteristic and are sold separately to create a complete package.

$2750

http://type4store.com/cylinder-heads/rs.html
mm911
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Oct 17 2015, 08:49 AM) *

Hi all.

I have a set of the three 2.0 heads that HAM did in 2014. Still in plastic wrap, never used. p m if interested.
mepstein
Type 4 store site works fine on my iPhone 6 and iPad Air. Cool stuff
Jake Raby
Everything wit these engine is tougher than it used to, for those who maintain their standards and don't just accept what ever they can still buy.

I stopped using OE castings in 2000.

Prices of GOOD type 4 parts will keep going up, IF you can find it. The substandard stuff has become more and more prevalent, and the market is filled with people who will accept junk quality at a lesser cost.
JoeDees
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 17 2015, 03:10 PM) *

Prices of GOOD type 4 parts will keep going up, IF you can find it. The substandard stuff has become more and more prevalent, and the market is filled with people who will accept junk quality at a lesser cost.

Truth. And the truth hurts.
DBCooper
Yup, almost Subaru time... happy11.gif
Java2570
I bought a pair of RS+ heads from Len @ HAM, Inc. right as Type 4 store was transitioning to LN ownership. Len was great to work with and his quality is top notch.
I highly recommend spending the extra cash, if possible, to buy his heads. Here's a pic of my build, currently working on my valve train geometry setup. And yes, it is in my kitchen!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.