Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: can I get ride of this if......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
blk'72
Hey all...
I have a single webber carb set-up installed by previous owner, and he left the whole d-jetronic fuelsystem relay plate in the car.....Is this fuel injection related only?
Can I take this out?
Thanks
R.
If yes....anybody wants it?
Series9
It also has the voltage regulator for the alternator, the relay of the rear window defog and, um, I forget, but you still need it unless you get an internally regulated alternator or are will to do something creative.
scotty914
do you mean the relay board on the left side on the engine bay.

if you do, yes you could get rid of it but, you still really need the voltage reg, fuel pump relay, main relay, heater relay, and it acts as a pass thru for some wires. the wires that pass thru are the reverse lights, starter, coil power, tach, and oil pressure light.

so you could take it out but you would be wasting alot of time getting the stuff you need rigged up
blk'72
ohh shit!
Thanks for your knwoledge guys...I didnt know what I was getting into!
I need help with this car.....anybody around oakland?
Thanks.
R.
Dave_Darling
Do yourself a favor and shitcan the single-carb setup. Duals are the only way to go if you're carbureting a 914 (or any VW Type IV-based motor).

--DD
Flat VW
Why Dave? cool_shades.gif

John
jones
Dave, I know you have a lake test for the under-seat-relay-seat-belt-car-no-start-thing! Is there one for the single carb as well?
Dave_Darling
lol2.gif Yup, there certainly is a "float test" for the single-carb setup! "Throw it into the lake; if it floats retrieve it for further study."

The single-carb setup has a few deficiencies for our motors. The largest is that there is no provision whatsoever for manifold heat. The long unheated intake runners mean that the fuel will come out of suspension from the air stream, and wet the manifold walls down. This leads to an uneven mixture.

The single-carb setup tends to distribute fuel somewhat unevenly between the cylinders, too. This is probably at least in part due to the manifold wetting issues, above, but may also be due to the design of the manifold itself.

Finally, they are a bitch to tune for our cars. Not sure on the "whys" of that, but it's tough to get them set up decently for our cars at all!

Duals have none of the above problems, if they're working properly. They have short manifolds that sit directly over the (HOT!) cylinder heads, so everything gets nice and warm and the fuel stays in suspension.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE (blk'72 @ Mar 7 2005, 09:07 PM)
I need help with this car.....anybody around oakland?

i'm in oakland. i can certainly help you with the car.

if you need the help of a *real* mechanic, i'd recommend Bill Eason from Eason Autoworks,
he's on:

3423 Harlan Street
Oakland, CA 94608
tel.: 510 420 1262

cool.gif Andy
davep
After polluting the body of water with your single carb, you will want to get FI. You don't have to go to a full factory install there. There are several aftermarket FI systems that you can choose from. Kit Carson is one, SDS is another, and Megasquirt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.