Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drill and Tap Sizes SAE and Metric
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
froggie
If you are like me, you have a set of 115 drills - number, letter and fractional inch. Seems like there is every size here you could ever want. So which one do you use if you want to tap an 8mm - 1.0 thread?
These tables list the tap and clear drill sizes from your american-size set for both SAE and metric threads. There is also a table that gives letter, number, fractional and metric sizes all sorted by size and indexed by diameter in ten thousandths. I made it because I need it. Maybe it will help you too.

find it at froggie info
airsix
Paul, you are no frog, you're a prince! Thanks for sharing your work. Very handy info.

-Ben M.
J P Stein
Thanx. A handy reference.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (froggie @ Mar 7 2005, 09:38 PM)
If you are like me, you have a set of 115 drills - number, letter and fractional inch. Seems like there is every size here you could ever want. So which one do you use if you want to tap an 8mm - 1.0 thread?
These tables list the tap and clear drill sizes from your american-size set for both SAE and metric threads. There is also a table that gives letter, number, fractional and metric sizes all sorted by size and indexed by diameter in ten thousandths. I made it because I need it. Maybe it will help you too.

find it at froggie info

My tap sets (metric & US) both came with a chart .............................. Perhaps yours did'n't? The Cap'n
airsix
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 7 2005, 10:50 PM)
My tap sets (metric & US) both came with a chart .............................. Perhaps yours did'n't? The Cap'n

My metric "set" didn't come with a chart (but does have SAE drill sizes stamped on shanks).
My SAE taps are bought individually.
I don't want to get my grimy fingerprints all over my "Machinery's Handbook".

-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.