Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor Swap BBQ and Party (Fort Worth, TX) Nov 21
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mr2by4
So what started as a request for a mechanic recommendation
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2248578
Has turned into a community event invitation.
I have a 1971 with a rod knock 1.7 and a tired tail shifter that I have a 1911 and a side shifter that need to be swapped.
I have found that I lack the time to get there and get it done, but with the encouragement and support of local community members it has turned into a party.
I will be inviting any and all of you to join me at my garage to enjoy camaraderie, bbq, drinks and a 914. What else could you ask for?
Well if you contribute to the work, I even have small (very small) thank you gifts/prizes. I know it is not much, but I wanted everyone to know how much I appreciate the support.
Please reply to this thread if you think you can come. I will pm you with address times etc. You don't have to be a mechanic or even mechanically inclined. There will be chairs and snacks for everybody, even if you are only coming for moral support and to watch the mayhem.
When we are done there will be pictures and stories to share, and if all goes well, my car will be a runner once again.
Spread the word and please RSVP. There is over a month to plan and I want to make sure that I have plenty of everything for everyone.
Party at my garage! piratenanner.gif
I hope to see you there beerchug.gif

List of RSVP thus far (edited 10/18)
The Cabinetmaker (?)
ClayPerrine (x2)
Theleschyouknow
02loftsmoor
Rob-O
Cody914
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like a great time. Are Okies invited too?
Rob-O
I'm in.
ClayPerrine
As I said today, Betty and I will be there.

Gonna be fun!

smash.gif
mr2by4
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Oct 17 2015, 05:15 PM) *

Sounds like a great time. Are Okies invited too?

That is quite a drive! Maybe I should have a prize for furthest driven distance!
If you want to come I will send you the details. I will let everyone decide what defines "local" for them. My car was purchased from Tulsa anyway, so it is only right that you come to represent its long time home.
theleschyouknow
I'm in
beerchug.gif
cjl
02loftsmoor
I'll be there.
mr2by4
I added a list of RSVPs and will be updating it as time rolls on. I hope to have a big crowd. We will have cover from the weather so the event should be rain or shine. I hope that we don't have bitter cold, but a bit of cooler weather might make beer and brats taste that much better!
02loftsmoor
some questions for you.
1. do you have a floor Jack?
2. jack stands
3. a movers dolly
4. some 6x2 lumber
mr2by4
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Oct 18 2015, 01:26 PM) *

some questions for you.
1. do you have a floor Jack?
2. jack stands
3. a movers dolly
4. some 6x2 lumber

Those are excellent questions.
I have jacks, jackstands, scissor lift (I could not get a post lift b/c the roof is too low), mover's dollies, compressor, air impacts, cordless impacts, etc
The only tools I may need are things that are specific to this operation that I may not have ever heard of. (Like the oil cooler wrenches I had to make for my 911 back in the day)

Cody914
Count me in too!
mr2by4
Who are we missing? Or is that fairly representative of the local 914 contingent?
Rob-O
Got the sockets for the CV bolts?
TheCabinetmaker
My trip is a little iffy, but gonna give it my best shot. I figure if I spend the night in dfw, I can have a great drive home through the kiamichi's in southeastern okieland on Sunday.
mr2by4
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Oct 20 2015, 05:07 PM) *

Are they allen head? What size? I should have it covered, unless they are really odd.
Rob-O
I believe they're 'triple squares'. Can't remember the size, but I *think* they're 12mm. I've got some sockets (used in my 944 when I replaced the clutch. I'll check to see if my set fits the 914. I think the set came from Autozone and came with three sockets.
mr2by4
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Oct 21 2015, 08:18 AM) *

I believe they're 'triple squares'. Can't remember the size, but I *think* they're 12mm. I've got some sockets (used in my 944 when I replaced the clutch. I'll check to see if my set fits the 914. I think the set came from Autozone and came with three sockets.

Are they not star drive? I may need a tool if they are not.
Rob-O
I don't think they're Torx bits
toon1
lets see.....45min to pull the old motor, 45minutes to install new motor, 45minutes to tune new motor.

Sounds like one heck of a party for the rest of the day!
brettrarnold
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Oct 21 2015, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Oct 20 2015, 05:07 PM) *

Are they allen head? What size? I should have it covered, unless they are really odd.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007SX10A...ailpage_o02_s00

I found the kit above to be helpful for removing the cv joints. I also purchased this: 12 pt star bit vw cv joints but found it harder to use than the longer star bit in the kit above.

I tapped in the longer 12 point bit with a hammer before starting to try to turn it as im told stripping them is a royal pain.

-Brett
mr2by4
QUOTE(toon1 @ Oct 21 2015, 11:40 AM) *

lets see.....45min to pull the old motor, 45minutes to install new motor, 45minutes to tune new motor.

Sounds like one heck of a party for the rest of the day!

There is also a transmission to be swapped (tail to side shifter) and some other bits to be cleaned up (fuel lines and 2 port relocated fuel pump) The hope is to have time to relax and enjoy our BBQ. I am sure there will be some bench racing, tall tale telling etc mixed in.
Cody914
I have the correct socket for the CV bolts and will bring it with me.
Rob-O
I've got the right tool. They are M8's.
mr2by4
More parts ordered. This is getting exciting! If we get it done and running, it will be almost exactly a year that it has been down waiting for me to "find the time".
Thanks so much to the community for all the help and support (and Chris at Tangerine racing for responding promptly to questions about the fuel lines even after a year of asking without ordering)!
aktion035.gif
mr2by4
So I have the tins from the replacement motor just sitting in the garage. They are not in bad shape. Should I just clean them up or try to get them coated in some way?

Fuel pump has arrived. Clutch parts waiting at Zim's. Fuel lines on the way (I hope).
ClayPerrine
The flywheel and clutch parts are in my possession, and I will be bringing my CV joint bolt tool, my clutch alignment tool, and some other things to make the motor swap easier.

mr2by4
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 13 2015, 08:37 PM) *

The flywheel and clutch parts are in my possession, and I will be bringing my CV joint bolt tool, my clutch alignment tool, and some other things to make the motor swap easier.

That is very exciting! I have the fuel line kit and a pile of other pieces waiting the big day.
sawzall-smiley.gif
I am also going shopping this week for the BBQ!
beerchug.gif
mr2by4
Burgers are marinating, so is the chicken. Car is ready, parts are waiting.
Anybody else want to drop by, we will probably have extra! PM me and I will get you details. Party i in SW Fort Worth about a mile from Hulen Mall.
MMW
I hope someone takes pictures & posts them. This is a really cool idea.
stinkindiesel
Really sorry I'm going to miss this one. Got family obligations for the weekend.

My son and I are slowly working through the same thing here. We've got the engine dropped, FI torn down and cleaned up, and are now in the process of getting things back together. It would have been really nice to see how the "pros" do it biggrin.gif

Gary
Rob-O
Lots of hands on the car today and some pretty good progress by the time I left. I left the phone/camera in the car, so no pictures. But others took some. Thanks for hosting, we'll have to do this again soon.
mr2by4
getting started on the gas tank (to swap lines out and relocate fuel pump)Click to view attachment
mr2by4
Wes getting the job done! (Pulling the old motor)Click to view attachment
I am having issues with the formatting on the pic that includes Clay, but he is on the top side working tag team on the poor tire old 1.7!
mr2by4
"Hurry up already! I can only hold this up for another 2 or three minutes. "Click to view attachment
mr2by4
Naughty motor on its way out (rod knock is not allowed!)Click to view attachment
mr2by4
A more powerful and reliable powerplant was located and quickly installed.Click to view attachment
mr2by4
When I found the cost of that unit (I am talking RABY MONEY) I went with this more modest 1911, which got cleaned up and had a new RMS installed. Not quite ready to install, but soon!
Click to view attachment
euro911
thumb3d.gif
dangrouche
Since it out, Looks like a great oppotunity for galley plug install.
CatDaddy60
I'm sorry I missed it as it would have been a great opportunity to meet others in the Tx community, I moved about a year ago from PHX and am just now getting to work on my car hope things went well
02loftsmoor
QUOTE(Cody914 @ Oct 21 2015, 03:31 PM) *

I have the correct socket for the CV bolts and will bring it with me.

Cody thank for the ride in your car, man that thing will talk to you w00t2.gif
mr2by4
I was busy playing host and worrying about my car, so I missed them, but there were Carnival rides in a certain members tricked out 914 handed out to all good little girls and boys. I won't name any names here to protect the innocent and guilty alike, but many exhibited a similar smile upon their return.
Now I just need to rack down a good passenger side suspension console.
I think I am going to tackle it myself. The motor is out, battery is disconnected and tank is empty. Sounds like it is time to do a bit of welding. Maybe party # 2 will come sooner than expected...
914Sixer
Bite the bullet and buy and NEW console. There are no good used ones.
TheCabinetmaker
agree.gif
mr2by4
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Nov 22 2015, 02:37 PM) *

Bite the bullet and buy and NEW console. There are no good used ones.

If the reproduction is good, I will go with that.
TheCabinetmaker
I really wanted to come this weekend. Glad I didn't. Blew a rear crank seal today. Oil puking bad. After 70 plus thousand miles on my raby inspired 2056 I think it's time for a refresh.
mr2by4
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Nov 22 2015, 04:21 PM) *

I really wanted to come this weekend. Glad I didn't. Blew a rear crank seal today. Oil puking bad. After 70 plus thousand miles on my raby inspired 2056 I think it's time for a refresh.

I could have ordered two. I picked one up to put in the motor going into my car, though I will not need it for a while with the whole rust repair thing...
Cody914
Here is another pick I took that includes our host and awesome cook. He's the one without a wrench in his hand. biggrin.gif

It really was a great time, we definitely need to do more of these!

Click to view attachment
mr2by4
QUOTE(Cody914 @ Nov 22 2015, 06:09 PM) *

Here is another pick I took that includes our host and awesome cook. He's the one without a wrench in his hand. biggrin.gif

It really was a great time, we definitely need to do more of these!

Click to view attachment

I am surprised how little I got to work on my own car. I was busy playing host, chasing parts, and in this picture I am actually holding a light for Clay. Despite whatever level of expertise I may have, I am sure that I did more good holding a light for that man than I could have done with any number of wrenches in my own hands.

I have plenty of project left for another party,

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2268121

,but I don't want to hog all of the fun. I am happy to play host and I love t BBQ for friends, but I know that of all the owners there, only one of them drove his 914 while the rest are all off the road for one reason or another.

Maybe we can do a repeat next month, either my car or somebody elses. We could go the weekend before Christmas. Thoughts anybody?
SLITS
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Nov 22 2015, 06:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Cody914 @ Nov 22 2015, 06:09 PM) *

I am surprised how little I got to work on my own car. I was busy playing host, chasing parts, and in this picture I am actually holding a light for Clay.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2268121

If that was Clay Perrine, you shouldn't have needed jackstands. He's so short he could have walked underneath it. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.