Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joints for 914/4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
reverie
John Walker's post over on Pelican asks about this.

CV joints seem to be NLA... nobody has them.

Is this part cross-listed as a VW part? huh.gif
ArtechnikA
yes, they're NLA.
no, they're not available from another VW model.
'rebuilt' halfshafts seem to be available, shop carefully and save your receipts (for warranty purposes).

i suspect we are not far from people trying to make conversion kits and adapters from Bus and 911 CV's, but i haven't seen those widely available in great number yet.

(914.6 CV's have been NLA for several-many years...)
Yoei66

I blew a CV joint on the passanger side a month ago. Couldn't find any local sources for a new CV joint. 9Xauto.com had them for $110 each. I ended up going to a local driveshaft rebuild shop. The shop rebuilt both CV joints on the passanger halfshaft with new bearing inserts, repacked, and put two new CV boots on for $99. 650 miles on the rebuilt halfshaft without any issues.

Yoei66 driving.gif
914werke
So how do you determine if the CVs on your now 30 yr old .5 shafts are wasted & need to be addressed? What are the symptoms? ohmy.gif
Bleyseng
Clunking, noise, grinding, excessive slop in the CV, ball bearing just fall out when you take it apart, CV cage is all broken into little pieces.....typical stuff.

Geoff
914GT
This VW CV joint part # 113501331 is close to the original. It requires a slight modification for the roll pin from what I remember. I have one of these on my car.
914werke
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Mar 8 2005, 10:53 AM)
Clunking, noise, grinding, excessive slop in the CV, ball bearing just fall out when you take it apart, CV cage is all broken into little pieces.....typical stuff.

Geoff

OK.........all of that is clear and your correct obvious except "excessive slop in the CV" which Id imagine would lead you to dissasemble the danm thing in the first place. mad.gif How to do asses that you have a "sloppy" of failing CV as opposed to any other # of problems in your drivetrain/suspension?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Mar 8 2005, 02:58 PM)
...all of that is clear and your correct obvious except "excessive slop in the CV" which Id imagine would lead you to dissasemble the danm thing in the first place. How to do assess that you have a "sloppy" of failing CV as opposed to any other # of problems in your drivetrain/suspension?

halfshafts should be removed, cleaned, inspected, repacked, and reinstalled with new Schnorr washers and (ideally, IMO) new bolts, on a periodic basis.

mostly it depends on how hard they're being called upon to work -- how many track days transmitting full power, how many AX's with body roll, how many really hot days. and the quality of the grease used.

when i did a full season of track events, i repacked the CV's twice in the year. real racer guys probably have an even more aggressive inspection/repack schedule. some folks also swap them from side to side to equalize the thrust wear.

CV's must have a substantial amunt of compliance axially, but when you grab the drive shaft, you should not be able to detect any rotational movement, and if you try to move the axle up-and-down or back-and-forth, there should be no movement.

remove, iclean, inspect, and repack the halfshafts every couple of years and you'll see little cracks in the cages and excessive wear before it's bad enough to risk failure at speed (which you don't want to have happen especially to an inboard joint...)
reverie
I wonder if 914 CV joints are actually identical to the VW ones in that link (IRS type 1 and 3), or if they have been modified from those... or if they are identical to the CV's for a VW type 2 or type 4.

Are 914 CV joints a VW part, or a modified VW part?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (reverie @ Mar 8 2005, 03:59 PM)
I wonder if 914 CV joints are actually identical to the VW ones in that link (IRS type 1 and 3), or if they have been modified from those... or if they are identical to the CV's for a VW type 2 or type 4.

Are 914 CV joints a VW part, or a modified VW part?

every time we have this discussion we conclude that they are different, but perhaps this time it will work out different.

they are interchangeable with every other mid-engine VW...

the part number is 914.332.029.03 -- IOW -- they are not a VW part.
JWest
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 8 2005, 04:08 PM)
they are interchangeable with every other mid-engine VW...

That was cruel... happy11.gif
914werke
Thanks Rich that is what I was looking for. I ask as I had recently done just that torn down both my half shafts and am replacing the boots circlips and repacking, but what are "Schnorr washers" and where do those go? Inspecting the cages there was polished or wear patters but nothing so gross that would lead me to belive they were spent!?
JWest
QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Mar 8 2005, 04:25 PM)
but what are "Schnorr washers" and where do those go?

Ribbed locking washers that go under the retaining bolts.
dinomium
Has anybody bought parts form MittlelMotor out of Germany? I see they have half shafts on evil bay all the time. Thier site has both cvs and complete axles listed as new...
confused24.gif
German Parts house
sixnotfour
The other problem is that the car ( John Walker) is working on the owner would not have purchased new ones anyway. Cost versus Car value. I gave him 2 good axles to pick from.
Their probably wasnt enough demand for New CV's. Most 914 owners have 2 or 3 axles lying around with relativly low miles.(jackstands)
Would you buy new?

Just an opinion.
Allan
I was in GPR last week picking up some stuff and I noticed a sales brochure with a CV joint kit for $70.00. I asked the guy behind the counter (Mark) and he said it was a rebuild kit with CV joint, gaskets, etc.
Dr Evil
Don't forget to by some bolts drilled for safety wire once they are nice and clean and rebuilt. I ouwld like to know what the spline count and bolt circle dimentions are on the CVs. The VW ones were different due to the fact that they had six bolt holes and no holes for pins. You could always drill out the two extra bolt holes to get the pins to fit. (If it is the same size in the other dimentions)
Aaron Cox
ok... whats the consensus on 911 ones with adapters?

what about using 930 CV's (they are HUGE- and they are widely used in offroad racing)

anyone with a lathe could make adapters and splined axle shafts....
Dr Evil
For $700 you could have the bus conversion from Pelican.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.