Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suspension diagnosis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arsprod
I've got some front wheel play and occasional front end shaking. With 105k on the car I'm suspecting ball joints but thinking it could also be hubs. I hate doing ball joints... but hubs could suck too. Anything obvious on these cars?
Larmo63
Lift it and wiggle the wheels. You will be better able to diagnose the issue that way.
arsprod
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 18 2015, 06:03 PM) *

Lift it and wiggle the wheels. You will be better able to diagnose the issue that way.

By seeing if the ball joint moves?
r_towle
Jack up the car, put one front side on a jack stand, leave the other on the ground.

Grab wheel in the air at 3 and 9 o'clock
Shake it
That is tie rods
Grab wheel at 12 and 6 wiggle
That is ball joint

All wiggle, all directions is bearings.

I would do the ball joints, tie rods and bearings all at once, it's not super expensive
You will be good for another 40 years.
arsprod
Got it - and grab my balls and cough for the final test? Thanks!
r_towle
Well, you could bring it to a shop and pay someone to diagnose the car, or you could learn....up to you.

When you remove your rocker covers, that is the colonoscopy.
r_towle
Make sure you don't put the jack stand under the suspension, instead put the Jack stand under the body donut up front.

arsprod
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 18 2015, 06:54 PM) *

Well, you could bring it to a shop and pay someone to diagnose the car, or you could learn....up to you.

When you remove your rocker covers, that is the colonoscopy.

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Appreciate the lesson and will do the wiggling this week. And I'm not due for another colonoscopy for another couple years
arsprod
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 18 2015, 05:24 PM) *

Jack up the car, put one front side on a jack stand, leave the other on the ground.

Grab wheel in the air at 3 and 9 o'clock
Shake it
That is tie rods
Grab wheel at 12 and 6 wiggle
That is ball joint

All wiggle, all directions is bearings.

I would do the ball joints, tie rods and bearings all at once, it's not super expensive
You will be good for another 40 years.

Just wanted you to know I did the bearings, ball joints and tie rods. I'll check back in 40 years to see if you were right. thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.