Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working on a valuation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
I've had the car 20 years, only have $5k into it without my time. Working on what it would cost to reproduce today for insurance.

Easiest if I break it down since it's a one-of-a-kind swap aktion035.gif

What's a rust free (repaired as needed) and freshly painted chassis worth on the west coast, but outside CA. DD paint quality not show car, definately not $10k worth screwy.gif

Assume I swap the suspension, drivetrain, custom interior, and other goodies for which I'll add costs to later.

Do you insure it for a total loss or expect to recover the drivetrain, interior, susp etc to put in a new chassis?

Would you use $100hr shop labor or something closer to your own paycheck?

Thanks.
jim_hoyland
Have you tried using the Hagety Insurance website ? They have a user friendly valuation and will suggest valuations for cars by use/condition; i.e. Concours, Daily Driver, etc, etc

Worth taking a look at.... smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Start at $20k and go up from there. If it's a total loss you will want a really nice one to replace it.
somd914
No matter what you insure it for, you will only realize that settlement if it is totaled. If you then expect to then salvage it for parts, you will need to purchase from your insurance company and whatever they deem it's salvage value is, so you would want to factor that in.

For me, I insure for what I feel the market value is plus a little extra. I don't insure for everything that has been spent on it...

Chris914n6
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 18 2015, 05:30 PM) *

Have you tried using the Hagety Insurance website ? They have a user friendly valuation and will suggest valuations for cars by use/condition; i.e. Concours, Daily Driver, etc, etc

Worth taking a look at.... smile.gif

I have. Doesn't cover conversions, just stockish. Can't use -6 because their value is greater than the sum of it's parts.

I can get current market prices for the parts and labor, but a good chassis is the loose end.

Back in the day when my first 914 was totaled I bought it back for like 10% and put the better stuff into the replacement, which just happens to be the current car.
JamesM
Check the classifieds. What you have into the car is irrelevant, what matters is how much it would cost you to immediately replace it with a similar car.
JeffBowlsby
I try to maintain a current database of high value "original" 914/4 documented recent sales here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/RecentSales.htm
JRust
I just had an appraisal done by a legit guy. He did my v8 years ago & it was 25k. He is huge Mopar guy & does restorations himself. So his estimate is for replacement value. Not what you could sell your car for. He uses the Nada price for your stock car. Then ad's onto that for what you have done to the car. He talks with the banks & Adjustors all the time. His quote's hold up for insurance purposes. Mine came back at 50k+ . I had to list all the modification made to it. When you go through & add all that up. Plus the time it takes to do it. Your looking at a hell of a lot of money. I will be bumping my hagerty value up to 50k. Have had it at 20k since I got it.
EdwardBlume
I have Dad's car at $14K, but I need to revisit it.

I would not be happy with any check if Dad's car got hit, and to replace it would be impossible.

Still, its worth nothing unless I drive it.
mepstein
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 19 2015, 04:26 PM) *

I have Dad's car at $14K, but I need to revisit it.

I would not be happy with any check if Dad's car got hit, and to replace it would be impossible.

Still, its worth nothing unless I drive it.

I would up it by $10k. Shouldn't cost you more than a couple dollars a month. My insurance company raises the value every year automatically.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.