Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-People suck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
groot
So, I got a new RX-8 a few weeks ago. I've only managed to get 620 miles on it so far and some a-hole ran into it when it was parked on the street last night.... and didn't leave a note or anything.

Man, I'm pissed.
skline
You park on the street? I dont like to do that over night anymore. Last Halloween I parked the truck on the street and some mornic kids egged it. Never again.
groot
No, I don't. I stopped at my brother's house and we were in his garage.... we were only 30 feet away and didn't hear a thing.... door was shut and we were working his race car.
Jeroen
that sucks!
how bad is the damage?

and how do you like the RX-8?
JerryP
That is so low. Man, I don't know how people like that sleep at night?

Same thing happened to my wife parked in front of her friend's house....except a kid came over later and fessed up to it. His mom actually told him he shouldn't say anything because it was my wife's fault for parking on a street where she didn't live. I felt bad for the kid after that.
groot
Crunched quarter panel ahead of the rear wheel and behind the 2nd door on the driver's side. The tire rubs in jounce conditions. It's not that bad, but it's such a pain in the a@#.

I went from a Focus SVT to this RX-8. The RX-8 is so much fun. I always dirt-track it around, hanging the rear out as much as possible. Mileage is horrible... I managed 11.5 mpg on the last tank. Turn-in is actually not as crisp as the Focus, believe it or not. But, I regard the Focus as the high-water mark for turn-in. The impact harshness is better (less) than the Focus, too. My only criticism of the suspension is that, to me, there's too much pitch and dive under longitudinal accelerations.
Toast
Man, that sucks! mad.gif

What does your insurance cover it for? Hopefully you can get it fixed without much out of pocket and without your insurance raising. sad.gif

My truck got egged and got stolen when it was parked on the street! mad.gif
Of course it was broken into twice when it was it the driveway. Soooo..........
Brett W
What color is the paint all over the quarter. I would start there and look through the neighbors yards and see if there are any possible culprits. Then just keep your eyes on the neighborhood.

Yeah for the most part personal responsibilty is gone and it ain't comin' back. That kid is a perfect example of that.

Sorry for your trouble.
balljoint
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 8 2005, 03:25 PM)
What color is the paint all over the quarter. I would start there and look through the neighbors yards and see if there are any possible culprits. Then just keep your eyes on the neighborhood.

Totally, you've got to CSI that damage.

Figure out the colour of the vehicle, then notify the police that you saw a car of X colour, the driver was waving a gun and a Cuban cigar and anything else that will get Smokey on his trail out the window and that he hit your car. Musta been a hazy/foggy day 'cus you got the colour of the vehicle but not the type.

That totally sucks, and it is not the first post with a story like that either. I feel for you.
brant
man that sucks...
thanks for the comparo against the SVT.
I just bought an 03 SVT euro on saturday....
dang I love it

I'm sorry about the mazda

Scott Carlberg
Now see, IF you'd stuck with a German car, they prolly would've missed ya! laugh.gif

Sorry to hear about this Kevin, that does SUCK.

Do you think being car-guys makes it easier to Leave a note if you caused damage like this, instead of driving-away like Kevin's A-hole did?

Sc
groot
Insurance covers the whole thing. Nothing out of my pocket, but the pain in the ass factor. This car is a management lease vehicle, it's a good thing Ford owns controlling interest in Mazda or it would be tough for me to find a good car to drive. We get new cars every year. The wife gets the tow vehicle and I get the fun car. We do pay for them, but it's relatively cheap and insurance is included.

I filed a police report yesterday, not like that will make any difference. The only identifying marks on my car are from a rubber bumper strip. I could go around and look for red paint on other cars....

The thing that pisses me off most is: There were no driveways in the imediate vicinity, so someone had to really try to hit my car. So, in my opinion this was no accident. headbang.gif

The Euro SVT is a great car... I just hate the fact that the traction control defeat button doesn't totally defeat the system. The wheels are much stronger (I actually bent 3 of my original wheels and then bought a set of the Euro wheels) and look much better. The seats are simply incredible. You'll have fun with that car.
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (groot @ Mar 9 2005, 08:14 AM)

The thing that pisses me off most is: There were no driveways in the imediate vicinity, so someone had to really try to hit my car. So, in my opinion this was no accident. headbang.gif

Nah, I doubt it was on purpose. It was prolly just your standard SFM driving around without paying attention to anything. I don't know how much driving you do behind other people, but lately I've been doing a boring drive into school every day. I notice about 75% of the people I'm behind can't keep their eyes on the road. Always checking out the views, seeing what that roadkill is, talking on the phone, staring at the clouds, etc. So many people don't seem to realize they're driving a death machine. It doesn't occur to them that 60MPH into the side of a mountain isn't gonna be a fun ordeal. They're "experts", so don't NEED to pay attention. Their airbags and lawyers will take care of any problems they encounter. And that's only if they can't drive away from it- like your bastard/bitch.
There's nothing more anger-inducing than a scumbag POS with no respect or personal morals. Hope that f'er gets what he deserves and drives off the side of a cliff. We don't need people like that in the world.

Cole ar15.gif
brant
Kevin,

I didn't know about the wheels. Thats good to know.

I was reading up on the "tunes" or program flashing they do to the chip. Seems like the Traction control is on everyones nerves...

since I don't have many miles on it yet, I become annoyed with it yet. In what way does it become cumbersome?.... just the bog down from leaving a light?

I really like those rotaries.
what a neat car!

groot
Brant,

SOAPBOX.....

Beware of the non-OEM stuff out there, particularly software. The factory calibration is bad enough.... that 2.0L is stressed already and aftermarket tuners (if that's what you're talking about) do not have much of a calibration research program. We paid Cosworth and Roush to do that calibration and it's not that robust, compared to the other calibrations that Ford does. Calibrations are very complex and it scares me that companies throw a car on the dyno, lean it out a bit and sell a product that was only tuned in a very specific condition.

Rant over....

There are 2 elements to the traction control on that car, brake intervention and engine intervention. I believe the defeat button only disables one of these features (if I recall correctly it turns off the brake intervention) and that's why people don't like it. It's still a great car and you might appreciate the traction control if it snows where you are. I swtiched from the Contis to GY Eagle F1 GSCs and that car went nowhere in the snow, but it was fun.

It still pisses me off that Ford opted to not put in a LSD, it really needs one.
brant
Kevin,

I'm pretty fearful of chips in general and the "tuning" they talk about when they re-flash...

I don't think I would touch much of the aftermarket stuff out there, and I specifically looked for one that was very stock..

but I've heard so many complaints about the traction control and the people on the internet claim that the car is better without it.

I did not know about the bi-mode traction control... I mean I did know that it inhibits the motor and the brakes at the same time, but I did not realize that the switch only defeated part of it. That makes so much sense. Thanks for educating me. I promise to stay away from re-programming the car if it helps you sleep better.

And Ironically, the car came with really fresh blizzaks on it and I've been shopping for summer tires this week.

groot
You're going to love driving that car on decent tires. Enjoy!!
Tom Perso
Since you're associated with Ford, you must be over in the Detroit area? I'm just a few hours away...

Later,
Tom
groot
True. I live in Dearborn.

Do you get to Bell's Eccentric cafe ever? I've never made it, but someday I'll get out there.
1bad914
On a good note, parked the BMW in a lot, went in and did some business, came out and found a young man writing a note to me that he had hit my car with his door while wrestling his pissed off toddler into his car. The guy was really apolagetic and offered to pay for any damage. I thanked him for being honest and told him not to worry. I was impressed that he was writing the note, there are some good people out there!

Also in Michigan...17 degrees this morning...woohoo!
Tom Perso
QUOTE (groot @ Mar 10 2005, 10:07 AM)
True. I live in Dearborn.

Do you get to Bell's Eccentric cafe ever? I've never made it, but someday I'll get out there.

Errr... I went there once when I had just turned 21... I think it was kinda cool... Maybe that wasn't the place though - there was some regge band and lots of smoke. huh.gif blink.gif blink.gif

I enjoy the beer though. Winter Wheat. Ahhhh.... clap.gif

beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Later,
Tom
carambola
had that happen to me, a 95 bronco in connecticut parked on the street at the in law's grandmother's house. after that i just had to get rid of her. something just wasn't there anymore. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.