Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Rattle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CSoso
Hi All,
I have a 73 base 914 with a 1.7L FI engine. When I accelerate hard, or even medium, I hear a rattling sound from the engine. Otherwise it starts great, runs great, no oil leaks or burning oil, etc. It has better power (according to my calibrated seat of the pants) than my old 1.7L dual Weber car. There are unknown miles on the engine as it was replaced with a "good used engine" 3 years ago by the original owner (stuck wot blew original engine). Engine #'s are correct for a non-smog 73 1.7L engine. Any ideas on cause and fix are appreciated!
somd914
A few typical items to check as a starters:

- Heat plumbing under the car: make sure none the elbows, flapper boxes, j-tubes, etc are tight and not rattling.

- Make sure heat exchangers and muffler are secure and not rattling such as with internal rust

- Alternator belt: is it tight

- Fan: make sure no foreign objects are floating around the shroud

Does it make the noise if you rev it up while sitting or just under load while accelerating?

CSoso
Thanks! I will check those items. It only does it while under load. Could it be detonation? Thanks again!
cary
Check that the muffler isn't touching the heat shield or the rear valance after everything gets warmed up.
'73-914kid
QUOTE(CSoso @ Oct 19 2015, 06:19 PM) *

Thanks! I will check those items. It only does it while under load. Could it be detonation? Thanks again!

Sound like gravel in a coffee can? That would be pinging...
Bartlett 914
it could be a rod knock
dirk9141973
confused24.gif I have a ping, rod knock under load like climbing a hill ?? is that bad? if I lift just a little goes away
wndsnd
Sounds like pinging. Check timing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.