Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: color change opinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
iankarr
Hey Guys,

My '73 2.0 was originally L13K Sunflower Yellow. The PO painted it a custom shade of yellow 15 years ago. It looks a little more vibrant than L13K...but it's still yellow. Starting to see a bubble or three on the body and both trunks have small rusty areas which need to be stripped, patched and primed now. I also need to drop the motor this winter...and remove the windshield to fix a sloppy installation. Basically, I'm already 25% of the way towards the prep work needed for a full repaint...so I'm seriously considering it.

Ravenna green is my favorite 914 color and I'm wondering what you guys think of that change. I know that going back to L13K would make it more original, but the engine is already modified (McMark's 2056 running dual carbs) and I won't be taking this car to a concours level. Ravenna Green seems to be really sought after... so do you think from a preservation/value perspective that the lack of originality would be offset by the rarity of Ravenna Green?

It's not just a resale question, as I have no illusions of getting my money out of the car in the near future. I know I'd personally love the color change, but with a 73 2.0, I also want to "respect" the car...and future owners.

Thoughts???
Cairo94507
So it is your car - Ravenna Green is a great color. I think if you do it right, strip the car down so there is no yellow left at all and do a full chassis paint, you will not hurt your car. If your car was a 100% stock original, then I would stay yellow. Just my 2 cents.
Larmo63
agree.gif

I totally agree.
zambezi
I agree. Generally a good quality color change does not hurt much or at all to most people. That is as long as it is a factory color. If you want to paint it plum crazy or candy apple red, then the value will be hurt and it will only appeal to a very small audience.
mepstein
agree.gif with all of the above.
It's your car and you should do what makes you happy.
jor
I had the same decision. Originally sepia brown, but PO painted it (apparently with mister bottle) a grubby shade of white. Mine's now being painted Ravenna Green because that color makes me happy. You only go around once; why be slave to originality?
iwanta914-6
Agree, do whatever makes you happy. I also agree with the comment about doing it right, full and complete chassis paint...
eeyore
I also have a Sunflower yellow 914 that was repainted some not-quite VW yellow color.

I have also considered going with Ravenna green but it always seemed a little 'off' -- a bit too yellow.

I say go for Ravenna. I haven't seen too many.

-

PS I really like the vibrancy of the 2012 Jeep Gecko Green. I think it is a period correct color (as long as the '70s Mopar colors come to mind).
PanelBilly
I say you should pick a different green. There's no reason to stick to a Porsche color either.

Or paint it blue.....
Montreal914
Ravenna Green, great 914 color. popcorn[1].gif
I'd go for it.
Your car, your choice.
cali914
Live your life your way, it is the closest possible way to your happiness. The rest of us are on the outside looking in. The mean green machine. smoke.gif
EdwardBlume
"Do what you feel, keep both feet on the wheel. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.