Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If you leave your key on...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
A friend just bought a 73 2.0... her first one. The key was left on for an hour. It didn't want to start (turned over very slow) but after letting it sit for 10 min. it started.
What's the worst & minimal things that could have happened by leaving the key on?
The car ran good before and real crappy after. Doesn't want to run until 3000 rpms now. I've heard if the points are closed the ignition harness could melt!
bruce
Rockaria
When I do work on my car that requires the keys to be in the on position for any time I usually take the three seconds to remove the black power wire from the coil terminal 15 (Not the big one to the middle of the dizzy, the smaller black one on the side). Though I always seem to forget for a second I did it when I try and start the car, but them I just say Dohhh... and put it back on.

I have points so its easy. I am sure the electronic ignition people have an easy power wire they can take off when needed as well.

No more worries!
Mark Henry
Yep, you will kill your points. Her points are toast.

Her battery doesn't sound to great, it's a drain on it, but not that big.
Bruce Allert
Thanks guys,
Mark, your avitar is very appropriate for this question clap56.gif
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.