Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rally CIBBIE Lights pictures/suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
R8CERX
...so...
Decided to purchase the CIBIE style 1970's hood rally lights and put them in my original 914-6

Did a search in this site, did not find much....

Heck, I figure, I want to add something to the car that I like... with the period correct lights. I have always wanted the yellowish color lights.

I am open to suggestions/ideas.. PICTURES ARE REALLY WELCOMED!!!!

1-I want to put 4... blink.gif ; minimum 2 on the front hood
2-since we will need to add a circuit, might as well add more lights--perhaps the outside rally lights near the standard fog lights.... like the Marchal ones...

I would like to see what anyone has done in their cars; and advise on how to create a dedicated independent circuit with switches.

Will I need more juice? extra battery perhaps? my alternator with an extra battery may suffice?

Want to have independent switches for each pair as well--to have some fun whenever I want to use one pair, two or the whole set.

Open to constructive feedback and suggestions. idea.gif

At the rate I am going, I think I will have the four on the hood plus the two extra on the lower bumper near the existing fog lights, plus my regular pop up lights...

I am just evaluating right now...

thieuster
Well, I don't want be pedantic... But the word is Cibié. It's French and pronounced as Cee-Bee-A. Perhaps this why nothing turned up? Try the French car forums as well. Great source & info there.
Nowadays, Cibié is owned
by Valeo. Perhaps a search into that direction might help too.
bdstone914
Just curious as to why. Unless you are planning to use the car offroad you have to put covers on them for street use in California.
dflesburg
Dave_Darling
I strongly suggest getting a second front lid, and mounting the lights to that. That way it's easy to go back to the un-lighted look when you get tired of it, and you don't have to fill extra holes. (Plus you can go back and forth almost on a whim!)

--DD
Cal
Hope this helps.....
GermermanCarGuy
Four from my photo library. All copied from web (i.e., not mine). I take no credit for them, however, they routinely pass through my screen saver.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
914mikee100
I like the stock bumper better, but here is mine with a 916 front and Cibie lights.
R8CERX
QUOTE(thieuster @ Oct 23 2015, 04:52 AM) *

Well, I don't want be pedantic... But the word is Cibié. It's French and pronounced as Cee-Bee-A. Perhaps this why nothing turned up? Try the French car forums as well. Great source & info there.
Nowadays, Cibié is owned
by Valeo. Perhaps a search into that direction might help too.

Thank you! agree...had it wrong in title but correct in post... FAT FINGERS.... headbang.gif

Great suggestion!
type.gif
R8CERX
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Oct 23 2015, 05:05 AM) *

Just curious as to why. Unless you are planning to use the car offroad you have to put covers on them for street use in California.

I like the looks... and even though the car will never be rallied, I just enjoy the old style lights and they way they look in our square looking car...brings some roundness!!

confused24.gif

The covers give the car the extra look... yellow covers are cool!
R8CERX
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 23 2015, 07:28 AM) *

I strongly suggest getting a second front lid, and mounting the lights to that. That way it's easy to go back to the un-lighted look when you get tired of it, and you don't have to fill extra holes. (Plus you can go back and forth almost on a whim!)

--DD

WOW!! blink.gif

Thank you!! beerchug.gif

Totally great suggestion!!

Now, I am looking for a great condition AFFORDABLE front lid! anyone?
Local area pickup would be ideal--willing to drive for a couple of hours from Murrieta/Temecula driving.gif

R8CERX
Thank your for the pictures!
EXACTLY what I needed...

anyone now knows how to wire them? or what I should do?

I think my car will look like this! same color and type of lights... !! piratenanner.gif
eitnurg
The Cibié lights mounted on the 914 registered KBJ 68J (and others) are actually originally meant for the front of a Citroen DS Pallas, and are otherwise colloquially known as "Pallas lights" or "phares boules" in French, which may help you track them down (on eBay.fr for instance). Back in the day the Porsche factory also used them on competition 911s; they were also on Matras and some Renault Alpines, and are extremely rare and desirable. Unfortunately they are a unique size, so only original parts will fit: unless someone is making repros now (and that includes the lamp unit), they will also be expensive. (Some light units were made by Marchal, which may introduce a thrill factor: but they are rarer than rocking-horse manure). Make sure they also include the backing ring.

On 911s they seem to fit OK but on 914s the angle of the bonnet/hood is too shallow: with the lamp adjusters at their max the beams still point at the treetops. The solution is an angled spacer between the lamp and the bonnet/hood to point them down a bit: such a spacer needs to be home-made. This still leaves the issue of the small lug at the bottom of the chrome rim, which would otherwise foul the paintwork. Most people bend it to a right-angle.

The French-spec lights had a yellow plastic globe over the bulb which slotted into the bulbholder. The bulbholder is removeable, but it's obviously not meant to be, so doing so can weaken it.

They do look the business though.
R8CERX
QUOTE(eitnurg @ Oct 23 2015, 10:38 AM) *

The Cibié lights mounted on the 914 registered KBJ 68J (and others) are actually originally meant for the front of a Citroen DS Pallas, and are otherwise colloquially known as "Pallas lights" or "phares boules" in French, which may help you track them down. Back in the day the Porsche factory also used them on competition 911s, and they are extremely rare and desirable. Unfortunately they are a unique size, so only original parts will fit: unless someone is making repros now (and that includes the lamp unit), they will also be expensive. Make sure they also include the backing ring.

On 911s they seem to fit OK but on 914s the angle of the bonnet/hood is too shallow: with the lamp adjusters at their max the beams still point at the treetops. The solution is an angled spacer between the lamp and the bonnet/hood to point them down a bit: such a spacer needs to be home-made. This still leaves the issue of the small lug at the bottom of the chrome rim, which would otherwise foul the paintwork. Most people bend it to a right-angle.

The French-spec lights had a yellow plastic globe over the bulb which slotted into the bulbholder. The bulbholder is removeable, but it's obviously not meant to be, so doing so can weaken it.

They do look the business though.

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME-!!

This history is key! I will use it.

I just purchased a pair; did cost a lot, but I believe it is going to be exactly what I want!

The information on the angle and bending the tab is great to know!

Please, keep coming with more info, specially the electrical part! this one I want to do it right and not just add a circuit to add a circuit--want to hopefully do it how they did it back then.

Cheers! beer.gif
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
I believe the model the early 911 guys use is the Cibie "Oscar".

There are some NOS units on ebay once in a while for a few grand..may want to check early 911s registry if you want the real thing and follow eitnurgs advice on fitting them from 911 to 914.
porschetub
QUOTE(Cal @ Oct 24 2015, 03:47 AM) *

Hope this helps.....

The ones on the green car are Cibie "osca's'' (?) I think ,or altleast they look like the pair I have in my shed.
I may fit these to my car but don't really want to drill holes in the bumper,I guess a bracket offset out of the foglight grill may work?
The bonnet mount ones are commonly fitted to R/ST 911's,they are sometimes seen up for sale but carry to the 911 tax unfortunately, they do come up on German ebay from time to time but are VERY expensive.
Good luck finding some.
Cal
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Oct 23 2015, 12:52 PM) *

EXACTLY what I needed...

I think my car will look like this! same color and type of lights... !! piratenanner.gif

IMO....this car looks the best with the Cibies. Here's a link for additional photos of the car.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20322/lot/416/
R8CERX
QUOTE(Cal @ Oct 23 2015, 11:57 AM) *

EXACTLY what I needed...

IMO....this car looks the best with the Cibies. Here's a link for additional photos of the car.

Agree-

I do think this is how my car will end up looking...
I am going for FOUR instead of TWO.... Like the overkill factor.

Still, need electrical help to connect them all four, plus have them become independent from the rest of the regular lights in car (two switches at least)

aktion035.gif
Larmo63
Felix, they don't look right on a narrow car. Just my opinion, but on flared GT car they look killer. Narrow stock car, no.

IMHO
R8CERX
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Oct 23 2015, 04:04 PM) *

Felix, they don't look right on a narrow car. Just my opinion, but on flared GT car they look killer. Narrow stock car, no.

IMHO

Agree with your statement; I do think the wide body cars look awesome with them lights.

I am still in love with the looks of our narrow body cars, and for some reason, depending how low and how wide your tires are, the same narrow body car can look very different!

I think with my set up, I will still like the looks-- then again, only one life to live, thus I need to follow my own weird ideas... you know what I mean, butter bean!!

But appreciate your honest feedback!

drunk.gif

Cal
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Oct 23 2015, 06:46 PM) *

EXACTLY what I needed...

Agree-

Still, need electrical help to connect them all four, plus have them become independent from the rest of the regular lights in car (two switches at least)

aktion035.gif

IMO.......if you're going to do 4 lights it might look better with 2 lights on the hood and 2 lights in the bumper.

Cal
......more cibies on a narrow body.

Interesting roof....never seen that before.
R8CERX
QUOTE(Cal @ Oct 23 2015, 05:32 PM) *

EXACTLY what I needed...

Yep--like the look, but I do not want to modify lower fender original fog lights.

I thought of adding brackets and getting the OSCAR Cibie lights to put them near the fog lights... not sure yet.

I do see the 4 lights on the hood for one of the previous pictures.... I like the look.
shades.gif

Agree-

aktion035.gif

IMO.......if you're going to do 4 lights it might look better with 2 lights on the hood and 2 lights in the bumper.

Cal
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Oct 23 2015, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Oct 23 2015, 05:32 PM) *

EXACTLY what I needed...

Yep--like the look, but I do not want to modify lower fender original fog lights.

I thought of adding brackets and getting the OSCAR Cibie lights to put them near the fog lights... not sure yet.

I do see the 4 lights on the hood for one of the previous pictures.... I like the look.
shades.gif

Agree-

aktion035.gif

That's nice.....but you're going to need a wide body to handle those headlights.....
rgalla9146
Aren't they reproduced ?
I found a good set that are waiting for the right car.
After I bought them I'm pretty they became available as repros.
Maybe five years ago ?
R8CERX
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Oct 23 2015, 06:20 PM) *

Aren't they reproduced ?
I found a good set that are waiting for the right car.
After I bought them I'm pretty they became available as repros.
Maybe five years ago ?

I do like the wide BODY shown above .. but I digress...

Regarding reproduction and originals-- both are expensive.....

still, love the looks and you only live once! headbang.gif

..then again, I think I am on my third round on this earth.... keep repeating the class as I don't seem to learn!

screwy.gif
boxsterfan
Do those lights help with aerodynamics or looks?
Cal
Sierra Madre sells the repro versions and they're very accurate....but not cheap. They also sell the cool covers

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Acces...930-p24220.html?

They also look great with a little road rash....
pete000
I have been on the fence installing these for years. I think they look great when the mail lamps are in the popped up position, but not so great when the main lamps are in the down position.

I have an extra hood and will probably mount them up some day...

I agree they look best on the GT body.
R8CERX
QUOTE(Cal @ Oct 23 2015, 07:09 PM) *

Sierra Madre sells the repro versions and they're very accurate....but not cheap. They also sell the cool covers

Yep--not cheap; reproduction or original, cost some good pennies!

The covers also are not cheap, but they look good as well with them.

As soon as I get my stuff together, will post pictures!

I think even with the narrow body, will look great... then again, does anyone have an ugly child? biggrin.gif

One more check to request electrical support--any advise to add relays, how to cable it (stick the wires to the underside of the hood), switches, etc... where shall I connect to? extra battery?
confused24.gif
Cal
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Oct 24 2015, 02:05 AM) *

QUOTE(Cal @ Oct 23 2015, 07:09 PM) *

Yep--not cheap; reproduction or original, cost some good pennies!

The covers also are not cheap, but they look good as well with them.

As soon as I get my stuff together, will post pictures!

I think even with the narrow body, will look great... then again, does anyone have an ugly child? biggrin.gif

One more check to request electrical support--any advise to add relays, how to cable it (stick the wires to the underside of the hood), switches, etc... where shall I connect to? extra battery?
confused24.gif

This might help....

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...ht=Cibie+lights

....also, Pelicanparts has them for $595.00/per
jimkelly
I like this look and mounting style
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(R8CERX @ Oct 23 2015, 09:49 AM) *

Local area pickup would be ideal--willing to drive for a couple of hours from Murrieta/Temecula driving.gif

How about Bruce Stone? He has a lot of parts.

If you're going for bumper-mounted lights, you can get an extra bumper as well. Same idea.

As for electrical, I would suggest going with new and functional over copying exactly what the various racing teams did over the years. Run a new heavy-gauge wire from the battery up to the front trunk. Put a fuse on that wire close to the battery. Use that wire to power relays that power the lights, and use your switches to control the relays.

--DD
vw505
Does anyone make the bumper mounting bracket like the one rennenmetal made?
R8CERX
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Oct 24 2015, 08:38 AM) *

QUOTE(R8CERX @ Oct 23 2015, 09:49 AM) *

How about Bruce Stone? He has a lot of parts.

If you're going for bumper-mounted lights, you can get an extra bumper as well. Same idea.

As for electrical, I would suggest going with new and functional over copying exactly what the various racing teams did over the years. Run a new heavy-gauge wire from the battery up to the front trunk. Put a fuse on that wire close to the battery. Use that wire to power relays that power the lights, and use your switches to control the relays.

--DD

GRacias!!!

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.