Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Well I went through all my spare 914/4 tachometers none of them work with the mallory trigger.
So I plugged in a cheap Sunpro and bingo it worked even with out the mallory tach adapter coil.

So now I want a tach to go in te original hole. and any suggestions for the blinker and brights indicator lights.
Looking at Autometer 5" black face. Dang they are proud of them things.
Aaron Cox
it wont work even with the tach adapter?

hmmmm
Joe Ricard
Yup tried 3 of them. all wouldn't work. Sunpro cheapy worked striaght off the work bench.
Joe Ricard
OK got the Autometer 5" black face with shift light. Very cool works great fits in the stock center hole with about eight wraps of electrical tape instead of rubber ring.
Autozone 114.95 took 20 minutes to install mostof that was trying to convince the stock rubber ring to fit. no tach adapter. Gotta take it to work Thrusday just cause driving.gif
tommy914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Aaron Cox
thats a bunch for just a tach!

good deal.

could I borrow your tach adapter? see if it works with any of my tachs? if so ill buy it, if not, i send it back to you? wink.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (tommy914 @ Mar 9 2005, 05:34 PM)

It's dark out. would be a crappy pic.

Aaron so does your tach work? If not then I doubt that it will even with an adapter. Don't know why other they are old technology and don't get a strong enough or correct wave form signal.
It might be alot but I just couldn't go cheap by getting a 2 3/4" tach that would have been so lame.

The shift light come with a night cover. Because that sucker is BRIGHT.
Aaron Cox
joe,

i have yet to wire it up. its mounted. i put the dizzy in this weekend, then i wire up the box. then ill find out my tach wont work sad.gif
Joe Ricard
yup, that's about how it goes. if it don't work then it will be 3 for 3 in the club.

Wonder what Trekkor did with his MSD. however he has a 6 now, maybe different?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 9 2005, 07:31 PM)
yup, that's about how it goes. if it don't work then it will be 3 for 3 in the club.

I guess people dont have problems once they hook up the MSD tach adpater.....

which leads me to believe that something is different in the tach outputs of MSD and Mallory boxes dry.gif
and that blows. im not gonna pay noho speedo 125 to make my tach work..... dry.gif

Guy T..... calling your electrical engineering degree.....

what do we need to make these tachs work?

what does the tach see with stock ignition?
what does it see with the CDI - a square wave at 20 percent duty cycle....

help.....
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 9 2005, 06:34 PM)
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Mar 9 2005, 07:31 PM)

I guess people dont have problems once they hook up the MSD tach adpater.....

which leads me to believe that something is different in the tach outputs of MSD and Mallory boxes dry.gif
and that blows. im not gonna pay noho speedo 125 to make my tach work..... dry.gif

Guy T..... calling your electrical engineering degree.....

what does the tach see with stock ignition?
what does it see with the CDI - a square wave at 20 percent duty cycle....

help.....

125.00 ?!?!?!? Dang that is steep. wonder if they are putting in new guts...and bump icon_bump.gif because we are on page 2 already.
MSD looks like something even I could build from parts out of radio shack.
machina
QUOTE (tommy914 @ Mar 9 2005, 08:34 PM)

Here's mine.

Drops right in. I tried using the stock rubber ring but it was too big so I put a strip of foam tape to cushion it and hold it in place.

I would like to try swapping the guts into my old tach but that task is low down on my list.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 9 2005, 08:34 PM)

im not gonna pay noho speedo 125 to make my tach work..... dry.gif

Aaron,

My tach works fine with my hyfire & unilite dizzy. No adaptor used. I'm also running a mallory promaster coil but that should not matter.

My car is a '75... seems like I read somewhere about '74s and up having a different tach? I bet DD would know.

Maybe you could borrow one from someone and see if that would work for you. Could be a lot cheaper than 125 bucks.
BIGKAT_83
Try a newer tach with the single turn signal lite and the black needle button. They have different circuit boards from the early tachs.

I used a Autometer tach and mounted it with the stock rubber ring by using some vasoline on the rubber and then the tach slipped right in and has been in place for a year. I've got to say that the autometer is a BIG improvement over the 30 year old Porsche tach.

Bob drunk.gif
Aaron Cox
ok. so heres my new plan. im gonna take one of my many 74+ tachs, see if it works.... if it does. i will transplant the mechanism to my early gauge housing and face (dual blinkers) or put my 912 tach face on (different redline)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.