Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cell phone / Smartphone mount for Porsche 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
johannes
THIS ITEM IS NO MORE AVAILABLE. NEW DESIGN IS AVAILABLE HERE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDaeY1dAp0M

I just finished and tested the first prototype of the 3D printed cell phone / smartphone mount. The mount replaces the ashtray.

This is available as a kit. You will have to order the 3D parts directly from the printer. The 3D printing is made with Polyamide. Its a white, very fine, granular powder. The result is a strong, somewhat flexible material that can take impacts and resist pressure while being bent. The surface has a sandy, granular look, and is slightly porous. The material can be painted.

To complete the kit you will also have to source or order
4x M4x12 screws and nuts
1x M4x15 screw
2x 5x70mm rubberbands
2x small pieces of 10x3mm rubber windows seal
(see ordering post below)

- Fits most phones from the small I-Phone to the large Galaxy from 6 to 8 cm wide (2.3/8 to 3.1/4)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

johannes

Click to view attachment

1 - Ordering the 3D printed kit
You will order the 3d printed kit directely from the printer
Price is 23.32 Euros + shipping (VAT may apply when shipping in some countries)
CLICK HERE to order the 3d printed kit from i.materialise

Click to view attachment

2 - Ordering the ancillary parts kit
You will order the ancillary parts from me.
You will need a 2,5mm Allen wrench to assemble the kit. If you don't own this tool I can provide it (option available below).

From 11/20/2015 screws and nuts are ony available in black

johannes
ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS

1- With a small plier, cut and remove all the parts that are shown in red.
Wear safety goggles as parts will jump all over the place.
2- Use a cutter to remove all the excess material.
3- Clean the parts as powder may stick on the surface and in the holes.
You can paint the parts but be carefull to not put too much paint on contact surface of the moving parts.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

4- Assemble the parts as shown using 4x m4x12 and 1x m4x15 screws and nuts. Tight the screws gently. Overtighting will bend the parts and damage the plastic thread in the ball joint.
5- Glue the black joints
6- wrap a rubberband as shown on the pictures. A second rubberband is provided as a spare. The two rubberbands can be monted together if clamping force is not enough to maintain small phones.
IMPORTANT: One of the clamps always travels free, the other has to be set up to fit the size of the phone then tightened with the screw.
Click to view attachment
Harpo
Very interested. Thanks for doing this

David

cary
QUOTE(Harpo @ Oct 25 2015, 04:59 AM) *

Very interested. Thanks for doing this

David

Ditto ...............
I'll be in for a couple.
Steve
Interested also
Bossman
December seems so far away!
Steve
Just in time for Christmas!! Now everyone knows what to get me!! Lol
johannes
QUOTE(Bossman @ Oct 25 2015, 07:20 PM) *

December seems so far away!

I may sell a few working prototypes sooner... stay tuned ...

johannes
Some more news

I made some refinements on the design and sent the file for a fourth (I hope final) prototype. I also added two small hooks that will prevent the mount of slipping out of the dashboard. That's something I experienced when testing on long trips on roads with a rough surface.
Price is around 20 Euros + shipping for the 3D printed part alone.
The kit with the ancillary parts will be around 5 Euros (worldwide shipping included).
sb914
I'm in for one with hardware ,thanks
76-914
+1 here, as well.
MrHyde
I'm in for one with the hardware if you can ship it to Canada.
johannes
QUOTE(MrHyde @ Oct 26 2015, 08:46 AM) *

I'm in for one with the hardware if you can ship it to Canada.

This will be shipped worldwide. I checked prices and it seems https://i.materialise.com/ has the best price for the part.

wes
I like it and want one as a kit! thanks
zipedadoo
One for me please....smile.gif
Chris Pincetich
w00t.gif beerchug.gif
db9146
Looks good to me!!
914-300Hemi
Count me in for one. Looks pretty cool.
Eric_Shea
Consider cord storage for a charger application.

If using an iPhone as a GPS device for any longer period of time, it will need to be plugged in. Having a place to stash the extra cord length from the lighter to the ash tray would be a premium. It keeps the cord from dangling around and getting in the way of the shifter etc.
ben*james
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 27 2015, 07:08 AM) *

If using an iPhone as a GPS device for any longer period of time, it will need to be plugged in. Having a place to stash the extra cord length from the lighter to the ash tray would be a premium. It keeps the cord from dangling around and getting in the way of the shifter etc.

+1

driving.gif

PThompson509
Also very interested!
dflesburg
if you can do that, it shouldn't take you any time to make one into a cup holder that holds my coffee cup for Saturday am cars and coffee cruise ins....

clapeza
Instead of having to source it out to a local third-party printing service, have you considered selling the 3D model file, and people could print their own?

There's a Kickstarter campaign going on now that the creator has made a bunch of 3D printable pieces for use in playing Dungeons & Dragons that let you print and build your own dungeons.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/167980...-gaming-terrain

(No affiliation, but I am a backer!)

Just an idea.
johannes
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Oct 27 2015, 06:08 AM) *

I found a way to include a cord holder in the same volume, so it won't increase price.
Here is a picture. There are holes everywere so you can tight the cord in the mount. There is space under the 914 dashboard so the cord can enter and exit the mount from below.

Click to view attachment
johannes
QUOTE(clapeza @ Oct 27 2015, 10:12 AM) *

Instead of having to source it out to a local third-party printing service, have you considered selling the 3D model file, and people could print their own?

I found i-materialise has by far the best price on the internet for this printing technique. It is not ABS printed (with a wire) but with laser from a powder. These are very expensive machines and this is not the kind you can have home or at your library. ABS (wire) is not precise enough for this design that has 0,2mm details.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ItiCbYFvI

GregAmy
Subscribing...CLEVER! Excellent mount for the iPhone, as I use it for GPS and for accurate speedo info...tired of it falling out of the ashtray...
1972 914 2.0
This is a good thing you're doing. I've just been sticking mine in the actual ashtray laugh.gif
I'll be in for one or two kits.
johannes
I just ordered the 3D print with the cord storage. I should receive it within 10 working days. There is no price increase with this feature, we are still around 20 Euros + shipping for the 3D printed kit alone.

Click to view attachment
johannes

The kit is now available. Read post 2 on the first page of the thread.

IPB Image
Kansas 914
Order placed!

Steve
Order placed!! Thanks!!
Harpo
Ordered mine. Thanks
76-914
The order form would not recognize the USA phone format. I keep getting a "Phone number format not recognized"??
johannes
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 11 2015, 07:32 AM) *

The order form would not recognize the USA phone format. I keep getting a "Phone number format not recognized"??

As i-materialise is in Belgium, you may have to add 001 before your number (USA prefix)

Exemple

001 212 439 XX XX

malcolm2
very cool.
76-914
Done. Thx for doing this, Johannes. Our phones have become a very large part of our lives and your product will allow us to update our 914's as well. beerchug.gif
rgolia
Just ordered mine....thank you much for this... beer3.gif
KELTY360
Ordered 1 + kit with black screws. Great looking item. Thanks Johannes!
johannes
Started to ship the ancillary parts ... Still missing the black M4 nuts that I should receive next week...

Click to view attachment
Kansas 914
WOW! Fast shipping to the US. I just received my ashtray mount. Now to assemble and paint.

Thanks again!
Steve
I also got mine today. Just waiting for the screw kit to assemble it.
76-914
Hah! I received the screw kit but not the holder kit. dry.gif
JoeD
Super cool! I ordered the kit and it's supposed to be delivered UPS Monday; assuming that the hardware is on it's way, too. Now if only my car wasn't on jack stands... biggrin.gif
karmann
Will these be available in black in the near future?
johannes
QUOTE(karmann @ Nov 21 2015, 11:42 AM) *

Will these be available in black in the near future?

The Polyamide is white and this is the only color available. But it is paintable.
I tryed dyed polyamide, but the kit is too compact an lots of surfaces are not dyed correctely. Juctions are white anyway and need touchup. It also increases parts size and it assembles very badly.
johannes
Information about ancillaries.
There next to no demand for white screws and my stock is out.
So I decided, white screws will not be offered as an option anymore.

johannes
QUOTE(Steve @ Nov 20 2015, 04:50 PM) *

I also got mine today. Just waiting for the screw kit to assemble it.

All ancillaries have been shipped now. You should receive them very soon. Paint will be dry ... smoke.gif
76-914
OK, what am I missing? The grip range is too large for my Iphone which is ~58mm. Do I need my phone in some case to fit? 2nd, it's floppy and I dont want to over tighten that little bolt. Not sure wh it has mch threads eith. Seems like the long one would be a tapered screw like a sheet rock screw. confused24.gif Is it just me???????
johannes
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 23 2015, 08:33 PM) *

OK, what am I missing? The grip range is too large for my Iphone which is ~58mm. Do I need my phone in some case to fit? 2nd, it's floppy and I dont want to over tighten that little bolt. Not sure wh it has mch threads eith. Seems like the long one would be a tapered screw like a sheet rock screw. confused24.gif Is it just me???????

The phone support was designed for minimum 60mm so you are a bit under. One of the clamps is free and the other has to be ajusted and tightened.
You can put your phone in a case, this would be the easiest way to fix the issue.
The clamps have a rake and if your phone is very thin, you can glue a 3 to 5mm rubber or foam on the surface that will receive the back of your phone. THis will push the phone towards the clamps.
You can shorten the main part about 1mm each side with a file and gain 2mm clamp travel

If the ball join with main frame assembly is floppy you better disassemble and put some glue on the surface before re assembling. This is not intended to be disassembled in the future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.