Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to look for in a PPI?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
What are the things that you look for when doing a PPI? Here are the things on my list:

Battery Tray
Hell Hole
Longs
Shelf by Firewall (under brain and relay box) for rust
Headlight buckets.
Trunks
pedal cluster

Anything that you can add to the list would be helpful. I am looking at a car this weekend and want to make sure I check all the important (expensive) stuff.

Thanks!
scotty914
floor pans, hoses in engine bay ( tells how well car has been taken care of ), cowl rust ( pia to fix ) front trunk seal channel for rust ( also pia to fix ), wear on pedals ( gives a good idea of real mileage ), up under rear fenders for rust around door handles and sail panel

thats my addition
ChrisReale
Look at the wear on the rotors. Tells how much/hard the car has been driven. Rusty rotors means it hasn't been driven in a while, possibly due to the fact that the brakes are out of adjustment.... wink.gif

Also check the door gaps. Should be even. Should'nt be able to put your fingers between them like you can on mine sad.gif
teenrookie
I am looking for a teener too and made a 3 page check list in Excel. I can email it to you if you like.

I would still recomend a pro PPI after it passes yours.

My list has sorted many cars though, where I realized I did not need to invest the money for a good PPI.
skline
I would add a compression and leak down test among others.
KaptKaos
QUOTE (teenrookie @ Mar 8 2005, 11:28 PM)
I am looking for a teener too and made a 3 page check list in Excel. I can email it to you if you like.

My list has sorted many cars though, where I realized I did not need to invest the money for a good PPI.

Please do send me your spreadsheet. You can send it to Joeg AT myrealbox DOT com. Thanks!
KaptKaos
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 9 2005, 12:02 AM)

Scott,

I have a compression tester and can do that. I haven't done a leakdown test before, so I may be calling you. biggrin.gif

I am not looking at a very expensive 914, so I am not certain that I will need to go through all of this. However, I sure don't want to get stuck with a car that is just a parts car.

Rusty
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 9 2005, 03:02 AM)

Yep. I second that one. biggrin.gif

Oh... and check to make sure there isn't a pair of vice grips clamping the (rear) rubber brake line closed... only to be told - "The rear brakes might not work, but the front brakes work pretty good, so it's okay to drive."

Be afraid. blink.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
anthony
Leakdown requires another special tool. Really, measuring leakdown is a diagnostic tool to help you find problems. You don't need to do it unless the compression check shows a problem but then if there is low compression on one cylinder you are probably walking away from that car anyway.
KaptKaos
QUOTE (teenrookie @ Mar 8 2005, 11:28 PM)

Got your email, but there was no attachments. Can you please resend?
dlee1967
I always like to check the rear suspension ears for cracking and the fuel lines. Check the trunk hinges for damage and ppor repair. Also take an explosion proof flashlight (Like Pelican) and look to the bottom of the fuel tank for rust. My 2 cents....DLee
riverman
Duct tape.
mikester
Also pay attention to the bottom corners of the windshield. Watter runs down into the cracks of the trim and can cause rust there that is a pain to fix. Well...all rust is a pain to fix.

Everything else I have thought of so far has been mentioned...
KaptKaos
QUOTE (mikester @ Mar 9 2005, 10:01 PM)
Also pay attention to the bottom corners of the windshield. Watter runs down into the cracks of the trim and can cause rust there that is a pain to fix. Well...all rust is a pain to fix.

Everything else I have thought of so far has been mentioned...

Lurker
mikester
sticks and stones...
kermit
PPI? Leak down test?

Did all that, bought my 914, less than a hundred miles later - dropped a valve guide. Full rebuild, a few "performance" upgrades while I'm at it, months of hogging our garage, making the wife park outside for a few months, spent more money and I paid for the car, almost get a divorce... the life of a 914 enthusiast.

Farkin' great isn't it - wouldn't do it any other way!
ejm
Check the numbers..the VIN stamped in the body should match on the tags in the front trunk, windshield and door jamb. The body # on the Karmann tag should match the rear trunk. I know of one '72 with the front clip from a '71, still has the tag to prove it. And before trading paper check that the VIN on the title/registration matches that on the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.