Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: removing the old a-arm bushings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
just burn them out? any other tricks? will one bottle be enough? al blose hooked me up with a nice pair that i'm going to elephantise. thanks al.

k
skline
I have always heard burn them out. I have to remove my rear bushins soon to install the roller bearings and the ones I installed before were the urethane weltmiester. They went in tight so I know they will be a bear to get out. Let me know how you do it and how it went.
Aaron Cox
uh... i used channel locks to pull the bushings out aktion035.gif
fiid
I used mapp gas, an hammer and the interior tube (heat that first and then tap it out), then use it to help beating the other bits out.
SpecialK
If I recall correctly (big "if"), I stuck my A-arm in the vise, heated the outer part evenly with a Mapp torch "just" enough to make it release it's deathgrip on the rubber bushing, and slit what was left of the bushing down the middle and peeled it off. Stinky job, open the garage doors during the process or your wife will kick your ass! spank.gif
ablose58
Hey Kev, burn baby burn, blowtorch.gif blowtorch.gif blowtorch.gif happy11.gif
ChrisFoley
Put the end bracket in a vise and heat it (the metal part) up just until the exposed part of the rubber ignites. The a-arm will pull out of the bracket easily at that point. It really doesn't take much heat.
Then you can cut the rubber off the a-arm.
Gint
The last set I did, the fronts burned out easily. The rears did not. I had to use a press to get them out.
Eric_Shea
Heat until you see a whisp of smoke. I never understand why people always say how bad of a job this is. Use a MAPP or even a regular propane torch. Once you see them just begin to smoke you should be able to stick a long screwdriver in the outer adjuster cover and twist it off. Once those are off, take a utility knife and slice the bushing.

I labored over this for 1 month before i finally dug into my first set. Once I did... it took 5 minutes. One of the easier things you can do on a teener.

Gint, heat helps when pressing out the rears as well but you definately need a press to do it right...
rhodyguy
you had me going with the "rears" for a momment eric. "rear" control arms i think dry.gif .

k
Eric_Shea
Oh yeah... well you had me going yesterday biggrin.gif

Front A-arms. Rear Control arms.

Yes... I was talking about the bushings in the rear control arm.
rhodyguy
with the torsion bars out, i can see what looks like a piece of pipe when looking down the adj housing. is this the actual end of the a-arm or the outer section of the 2 pieces that sandwich the bushing? is it safe to drive the control arm out by hitting on it with a drift? thanks guys.

k
rhodyguy
got em'. copius ammount of pb blatster down the bushings this time. a piece of 1"galvanized pipe and a few raps with a 3lb pig maul. didn't even have one fall on my toes when they came out. off to the hardware store for a torch. i should have these at the blasters this afternoon. forward, into the past.

k

rhodyguy
too easy. biggrin.gif

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.