Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 Alternators
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I need to change the alternator on the 2.4 /6. There's a way to update the alternator to internally regulated vs externally regulated.

Any advice on which way to go?

Also, is there a replacement brand, or good place to buy one?
Cairo94507
My 3.2 came with a Paris Rhone, so I stayed with that. I believe it is internally regulated. One less thing to have to deal with. Prices on alternators, new and rebuilt are crazy - $250 to about $1K. It is not a real complicated piece of equipment.

I was warned off the Bosch rebuilt as being problematic with poor quality control.

I would have preferred finding a local shop to do the rebuild but could not find one that was reliable. I got a reply from one Pelican member but he would would not reply back to me when I asked exactly what they did during a rebuild.

I was concerned someone would just clean and paint one and send it to me. If it was going in a 911 (easy to get to) not a real problem. But in a 914, kind of a pain in the butt to deal with.

As it was, the first Paris Rhone I got from Pelican, which was direct shipped from the supplier, was damaged and had to be replaced. Pelican was terrific to work with, but I was disappointed it was direct shipped and they never saw the part first. The damage was obvious- yet it was shipped anyway. It did not appear to have been shipping damage as the box it came in was still perfect.
Rack
I'm new on this forum, but have been lurking for some time now. I'm not sure if this will help much, but you might consider spending a little money on a hand built alternator from a company in the high end car audio business. Mechman and Singer Alternator are 2 names that come to mind.

I have a Honda that would eat up alternators, lasting only a year or so before they went bad. Lifetime warranty doesn't mean much when you still have to replace them constantly. I ended up spending the extra money and getting a custom alternator built for me. I've got a completely stock 2000 Honda Accord with no need for an exotic electric system, but I got tired of problems with supposedly "brand new" alternators. These companies specialize in high output models, but they will build one with stock output if you desire. An added bonus is that these companies can powder coat with any color you would like, if that's your thing. I'm not sure if they can help with a Porsche application, but it's worth a little internet research regardless.

As I said, I'm new to this forum. My brother has 2 914's, one of which he has offered to let me have to play with. Neither one running, but either one is a perfect candidate to build up into whatever I want it to be. I'm here looking at all factors I'd be dealing with if I take on a project like this.

If alternators aren't a big problem with the porsche 6, then this is wasted info. I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Rod
Krieger
Are later model 911 alternator internally regulated?
t collins
My 2.4 came with an internal regulated Paris Rhone alt ... no complaints
Click to view attachment
Scott S
I went with an externally regulated one. I have no data at all stating that the internally regulated ones are better or worse, I just figured that if I ever did have a problem, it was far easier to replace the external one verses having to pull the fan shroud, fan, etc, etc to get to the internally regulated one.

That being said, I have never had an issue with the internally regulated one in my 911.
914itis
I just went thru this last week , in my case I had to remove and replace my alternator twice . (See my thread) . At the end it was not the voltage regulator , it was the alternator . The first shop didn't pick that up.

The external regulator was very helpful for diagnostic and had it been the VR, it would be a 10 minutes job vers over 10 hours all together.

The alternator is a pita to put back .

The Last alternator shop I went to did the whole rebuilt for $90.00 , that includes replace diodes, shaft and complete disassemble and cleanup, tested my VR's .

If someone needs to have one rebuild I will be more than happy to help out.
porschetub
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 27 2015, 02:44 AM) *

I need to change the alternator on the 2.4 /6. There's a way to update the alternator to internally regulated vs externally regulated.

Any advice on which way to go?

Also, is there a replacement brand, or good place to buy one?

If you have a Bosch go to one go to an approved service centre and get an exchange unit,these are pretty much as new when you buy them.
IMO externally regulated is best in the 914 for maintenance,in a 911 its not so important.
However you will find the later internally regulated ones will most likely be higher output which may suit you better.
GeorgeRud
I'd suggest keeping an external voltage regulator on a -6 as it's a much harder job to swap out an alternator on a -6 than it is on a 911 due to the engine orientation.

As for having a local shop rebuild one rather than getting a rebuilt Bosch, etc., I think it's a toss up. A friend of mine that has a respected Porsche repair shop only uses the purchased rebuilt units because of their two year warrantee, but the rebuilding process should be the same as long as the shop is not substituting some cheap Chinese made components internally.
SLITS
Porsche issued a TSB on changing from an external to internal regulated alternator. It shows which wires are not needed, etc. You should be able to find it online.

The only problem I am aware of with an internally regulated alternator is that the regulator sits very close to the case and can go into an overheated condition where it will show no charge (alt warning lamp comes on). On a 911 or /6 it is a problem because that is an indication of a loss of the alternator belt ... no cooling of the engine (causes severe sphincter muscle contractions).
EdwardBlume
Thanks Gents.

The bird board talks about IRs running hotter, and ERs being easier to maintain. Its an engine pull either way for the 914/6.

I'd really just like to pull it, fix it, and put it back in the way I found it.

I also need to send the distributor out for matching the carbs and change the temp sender.

Maybe weld the /6 mount in compared to the bolt in....

All it takes is time and money.

Thanks again,
R
Mark Henry
I was also going to say that most on the bird are now changing to external regulators due to heat issues. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are in there I'd wire it for an external.
I will be staying with an external reg on my build.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 27 2015, 09:50 AM) *

I was also going to say that most on the bird are now changing to external regulators due to heat issues. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are in there I'd wire it for an external.
I will be staying with an external reg on my build.

Thanks. 2.4s are external. Not sure what I'll find once I get in there though...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.