Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rookie ? Need Help !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beakster
I just got my New 914 home late last nite .. Sorry guys for the Dumb ??? But because the guy had a back PORSCHE tail light lens installed .. I don't see that there is a trunk lock release button to open the back trunk .. So now how do I get the back trunk open and were would this now be ?? Thanks confused24.gif
76-914
Somewhere & probably under the dash, is a button that you push to release the trunk. The key needs to be in the on position. Don't leave it in the on position for more than 5-10 seconds. We don't have an ACS position on our cars switch. You will hear it "thump" when you depress the button. Some times they stick so you will need someone to push down on the lid when you push that button. beerchug.gif
jor
Frequently, it's a power release controlled by a press-button on the drivers side edge at the top of the engine compartment. If you press that button while pushing down lightly on the trunk, it should release.

Also, there should be a small hole in the center of the rear reflector, where you could insert a thin pin or awl to release the mechanism in case of battery failure.
Beakster
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 26 2015, 10:34 AM) *

Somewhere & probably under the dash, is a button that you push to release the trunk. The key needs to be in the on position. Don't leave it in the on position for more than 5-10 seconds. We don't have an ACS position on our cars switch. You will hear it "thump" when you depress the button. Some times they stick so you will need someone to push down on the lid when you push that button. beerchug.gif

Thanks I will look there .. I spent 2 hours looking thru the engine compartment to try to find something..
Beakster
I haven't had any luck trying to find this button and still haven't been able to open the back trunk .. any other ideas how to get it open ?? confused24.gif
GaroldShaffer
I have seen buttons mounted in the glove box also. There has to be either a button to push OR might have pull knob hidden somewhere. I would expect it to be within arms reach of the drivers seat.

Can you ask the person you bought it from?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Beakster @ Nov 2 2015, 09:08 AM) *
any other ideas how to get it open ?? confused24.gif

There's always the hard way:

- Get a friend with a flashlight
- Get a ratchet with several extensions, long enough to reach the back of the car from the engine compartment
- Open the engine lid
- Look for the two white/yellowish plastic cups in the wall between the engine compartment and the trunk
- Push them into the trunk
- Have your friend shine the flashlight through the passenger hole and onto the lock mechanism in the back
- Put a 10mm socket on an extension (use a swivel if you have one) and slide it through the drivers side hole, adding extensions until you can reach the lock
- Put the ratchet on the end and undo the two 10mm bolts

bye1.gif
rhodyguy
Look around under the trunk floor below where the latch is located. You might find a odd wire that serves as a manual release. The electric button is probably somewhere. You'll know it when you see it. It might be red.
rjames
The PO for my car installed it on the fuse box. It could be anywhere. After you get tired of looking, use Sir Andy's method- At some point even if you find the trunk release button you'll need to know the manual method for when the thing fails.
Mike D.
Uh...You could try asking the previous owner...?
relentless
Asking the PO would be smart. My car had some linkage from the solenoid to the lock, so going in from the plastic cups as per above you could try to just push down on the linkage to release the catch.

I actually made a metal rod, bent to catch that latch from the back. HTH
Cairo94507
So.....you never looked in the trunk before you bought it? Or maybe it was already open. Keep looking you will find the button hidden somewhere. I can't stand those panels but that's me. welcome.png
injunmort
mine had a button mounted next to the fuse box but I don't know why because there is no latch, just lift it open
Ansbacher
My switch is what looks like the left license plate light. It is actually a rubber boot that houses a switch inside that when pressed upward activates the solenoid release inside the trunk and the trunk pops open. I believe its a pretty common kit people use with the light panels. See if you have this.

Ansbacher
eyesright
I found the button on mine mounted under the center of the steering column. Its a small button...and half the time it clicked but the trunk didn't open...not enough voltage. If that happens to you have someone press down on the trunk - easy does it - and then lift when the catch clicks open.

Then make sure there's a small hole in case things don't work in the future as was mentioned above...after you make sure there is plenty of voltage...or drill a hole big enough to re-install the release button regardless how it looks...or throw the reflector away and fill in the holes when you repaint...

Good luck, welcome to 914World, and be sure to pick up the jack stands that came with it.
76-914
Look inside the engine compartment, drivers side. You should have a wire harness passing thru over the wheel well on it's way to the trunk. If the switch is in the cabin you should see an aftermarket wire coming from the trunk and going back to the cabin. Or, look for a wire that looks out of place and trace it.
76-914
Look inside the engine compartment, drivers side. You should have a wire harness passing thru over the wheel well on it's way to the trunk. If the switch is in the cabin you should see an aftermarket wire coming from the trunk and going back to the cabin. Or, look for a wire that looks out of place and trace it.
Tbrown4x4
I've seen a small rod behind the rear valence attached to the trunk latch as well.
pvollma
QUOTE(eyesright @ Nov 2 2015, 08:01 PM) *

...or drill a hole big enough to re-install the release button regardless how it looks

Mine came with the electrical release, and always required a second person to push down on the trunk lid. I did away with the electrical release and replaced it with the regular locking button:
Click to view attachment
jor
QUOTE(76-914 @ Nov 2 2015, 06:08 PM) *

Following this thread, it's obvious that this aftermarket add-on can be done in nearly infinite ways. The only thing that's consistent is that it has to be wired from either the engine or passenger compartments to the trunk. For that reason, 76-914's advice seems like your best bet. The actual button could be anything from the tiny, low-volt affair mentioned above to the rubber-boot-covered half-inch cone projecting from the upper edge of the engine compartment found in my car (being removed during metal/paint, by the way). Actually, there's one other consistency: that annoying "press lightly on the trunk as you press the button" thing. Good luck finding the wire and getting into the trunk.

I bet there's something good in there. Capone's gold? Why else seal it off so well?
Beakster
beerchug.gif Thanks Guys for your all your advice ... I was able to locate an odd wire and put power to it and the trunk opened ... cheer.gif
altitude411
Well? Wut did you find?

Drugs, money or reality... RUST

welcome.png
altitude411
dp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.