Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: itty bitty battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
With temps hitting the 40's off and on, car season is fast approaching here in north west WI. Yellow car needs a new battery for this season. Anyone use those little mini batteries? What did you think, where did you get yours, where did you mount it, and would you use one again?
machina
some guys run those little tractor batteries with good results.

i don't have an alternator so I have a big optima.
ArtechnikA
Hawker Genesis 26Ah (x2, it's an early 911). started fine on 1 until temps hit 5F when it got sluggish, so i re-installed the other one (but my engine is fading on compression a bit...) 1000CCA. totally sealed.

i got mine here - good prices, good service.

Surplus-EV
ottox914
Any photos of the install? Did you mount it in the factory location? Also, to clarify, this battery will be needing to do service in a street/auto cross car, with an alternator, so it will need to take a charge and put out plenty at night for headlights/heater/radio on the ride home.
drew365
I use the Odyssey battery. It's the same battery as the Genesis/Hawker. It's about half the size of a normal battery. Has worked fine for me but I don't drive the teener in cold weather.
drew365
I mounted it in the rear trunk. I made a holder for it so that if I needed to I could mount a standard battery in its place.
URY914
I use a lawn mower battery w/o an alternator but my car is a little different than most. biggrin.gif

Don't try this on a street car. sad.gif

Paul
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (drew365 @ Mar 9 2005, 10:02 AM)
I use the Odyssey battery. It's the same battery as the Genesis/Hawker.

that may be the same as "a" Hawker battery, but it's not the same as mine ...

G26EP Deep Cycle Battery 23 Pounds 6.25" x 6.5" x 5"
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (ottox914 @ Mar 9 2005, 09:49 AM)
Any photos of the install? Did you mount it in the factory location? Also, to clarify, this battery will be needing to do service in a street/auto cross car, with an alternator, so it will need to take a charge and put out plenty at night for headlights/heater/radio on the ride home.

here ya go.

yes - stock location, with some "filler" because it's significantly smaller than the original 36Ah battery. street 911, driven every day, headlights, alternator, heater, the works. i added the second battery because there's a weird temperature range in which my car needs a few tries to start (the MFI is providing enrichment it does not really need...) a stock 914 should not need need quite as much "ooomph" as a 911E.

started on the first turn after having parked for more than a week over vacation.

with the second battery, it has started instantly at 5F.
ArtechnikA
damn, forgot the stupic photo -- here ya go ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.