Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco Plate O-Ring Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
Finally got around to installing my new oil temp sensor for my new VDO oil temp gauge. Knowing that I was to disassemble the taco plate, I purchased everything I needed to reassemble it, hopefully leak free - O-Ring, paper gasket, and crush washers for the two bolts. Install went fine, gauge worked good, but in the morning I had a nice big oil spot beneath the taco plate. So, drained the oil again and removed the plate, inspected and tightened the sensor against its crush washer, carefully reassembled everything, and yes, hand-tight only on the two plate bolts. Looked good until morning- another oil spot on the cardboard. Ugh, getting perturbed. Drained it again, disassembled everything, but this time I realized the replacement O-ring sent to me was considerably larger than my original. I had noticed that is was very finicky to position and seat properly. Luckily, I had not thrown out my original O-ring, which was still in very good condition, so reinstalled everything using that. Now, no leaks! I purchased the O-ring in question from the company that uses a "bird" as their logo. Has anyone else run into these oversized items?

Ansbacher
914Sixer
I am finding that the quality control of lots of items are not in specifications of the originals. I found the new trans front seal are smaller and will go in farther than they should. The engine block front and rear crankshaft seals are the same way. Even the oil tube O rings seem to vary now.
draganc
I had the same problem and have documented it in my link:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=113674&hl=
76-914
Yep. Finally sealed it with Locktite 518. Has held for 3yr's so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.