Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine shelf
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spunone
Ok half the engine shelf is rusted out whats the besy way to remove the rest of it grinding wheel saw or what .I have the new one just don't want to make a bigger mess than ness.Another ? what do you use to coat the floors with after I've removed all the sealer crap and wire brushed the rust out? Thanks again in advance
skline
I would coat the floor with POR15 or something along those lines. I was lucky and didnt need to do that on mine but if I did, I would find some new tar paper (Dynamat) and lay it down again when I was done with the POR15. As for the engine shelf, I would use a body saw, available at Harbor Freight. Cuts small and fast. That is what I need to do when I pull the engine for paint.
riverman
The best way (leaves the least damage) is to remove the paint so you can see the spot welds and then drill or cut out the spot welds. Once all the spot welds are removed the shelf should just fall off. This method can be a PITA though because there are alot of spot weld.

If your not overly concerned with the after appearance, you can cut off the shelf with a cut-off wheel or sawzall and then grind the welded on lip down flush with a grinder. Using this method, you will end up with grinder marks on whatever the shelf was attached to, but it will be faster.
watsonrx13
I repaired the hell hole, and replaced the engine shelf and suspension ear last year, here's my site that shows the complete process.

I removed the engine shelf by carefully drilling out the spot-welds. I just drilled out the holes on the suspension ear since I was replacing it. I also cleaned up the rust and removed the factory body filler and the sound-proofing on the floors, but I didn't replace with anything, I like the 'pure' metal look.

Good luck and take your time...

BTW, post some before pics, it helps us understand your question....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.