Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting Into 1st Gear While Stopped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
My car shifts very good through the gears except I must shift into 1st gear before coming to a complete stop at a red light. If I don't put it in 1st before coming to a complete stop; it is extremely difficult to get it in 1st gear. I will just start out it in 2nd which slid in very easily.
Is there an adjustment I can make or maybe something else.
I have been driving in this condition for several years, but I'm afraid something is wrong and I will have a problem later.
Thanks for your help and suggestions. Mike
brant
1st / reverse slider is shot.
An expensive part
rgolia
Have you tried first putting it in second and then first. I have done this since the car was new. It makes it much easier to get in first gear at a stop.
Bruce Hinds
agree.gif It's common on older trannies, selecting another gear before first slows things down inside and allows selecting first much easier. I usually use 3rd, but I don't think it matters.
dflesburg
sometimes the cone screw on the linkage falls out and the rod rotates.

so there are adjustments there.

There is a bushing in the rear that can fall out, so look there,

Sometimes the clutch cable can stretch, nice ones can be purchased now days, I have one.

Sometimes the nuts on said clutch cable need tightened a bit.

All of these things and more can make a difference.

These are the things I can think of off the top of my head.
Porschef
Mine is similar but occurs intermittently, sometimes sliding into first easily, other times I to select a higher gear (usually 3rd), and other times have to just let the clutch up a hair. Only bushing that has any real play is the one in the tranny console, I plan on turning a delrin bushing for that in hopes that it cures the issue.

I know the slider is good, had the tranny worked over by Doc. beer.gif

If that doesn't work I may have to go for Chris' upgrade.
era vulgaris
I don't think your slider is shot. My trans is rebuilt with ~12000 miles on it, I have all new bushings, and the upgraded shift linkage from Tangerine Racing, and I have this problem too. But it doesn't happen every time, maybe 40-50% of the time. I've read that the new slider bands can be tight, which can cause this.

What rpm does your car idle at? A high idle can make it more difficult to get into 1st.

As others have said, engaging another gear before shifting into 1st makes things easier.
stugray
Try tightening the clutch cable first.

Once the cables stretch, you need to put a spacer behind the nuts to get enough adjustment to take out the slack.
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Oct 27 2015, 07:54 AM) *

I don't think your slider is shot. My trans is rebuilt with ~12000 miles on it, I have all new bushings, and the upgraded shift linkage from Tangerine Racing, and I have this problem too. But it doesn't happen every time, maybe 40-50% of the time. I've read that the new slider bands can be tight, which can cause this.

What rpm does your car idle at? A high idle can make it more difficult to get into 1st.

As others have said, engaging another gear before shifting into 1st makes things easier.

I'm not sure the OP mentioned that trans was rebuilt. If its was rebuilt with new bands and slides, you're probably spot on.I tend to think that the engagement slider and related parts need to be replaced after all the other things are addressed. .02
BeatNavy
I can add to this that I'm pretty much in the same situation as Era Vulgaris - refreshed tranny last spring, new bushings everywhere, and Racer Chris' side shift adjuster (and bearing at firewall). This happens to me about 30% of the time, and it's slightly annoying. I move it into second, or scoot the car slightly, or, if there's a car behind me waiting to go, take off in 2nd gear if needed. On the other hand, most of the time it goes right in no problem. I need to go back and see if the good Dr. Evil put in a new 1st Gear Slider or just inspected and used the one I had. I'm hoping that Era is right and that's just initially tight.

My bet right now in my case is that it's clutch cable or clutch-cable related. I put a new one on from 914Rubber earlier this year, and it may have stretched some and/or the nuts have come loose at the adjustment point. I tightened it up a few weeks ago and it seemed to help. Add to this that if I really push down hard on the clutch pedal it does seem to help reduce when that happens. That would also suggest maybe clutch pedal bearing wearing out or the clutch tube is getting ready to break itself off at one of the mount points in the tunnel (again).
era vulgaris
QUOTE(396 @ Oct 27 2015, 12:05 PM) *

I'm not sure the OP mentioned that trans was rebuilt. If its was rebuilt with new bands and slides, you're probably spot on.I tend to think that the engagement slider and related parts need to be replaced after all the other things are addressed. .02

No, I know he didn't mention a rebuilt trans. Not sure what the OP's level of experience is with these cars, or with older cars in general, but I was just relaying that even when these trans are new and shiny with all new linkage and bushings they still can have this issue.

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Oct 27 2015, 12:57 PM) *

I move it into second, or scoot the car slightly, or, if there's a car behind me waiting to go, take off in 2nd gear if needed.

Yeah I do the same thing. I usually try and keep an eye on the stop lights, and when the cross street light turns yellow, I go for 1st. If it doesn't work I go for 2nd, scoot the car up a few inches, and then usually it'll go right into 1st. If I can't see the cross street light, I just take off in 2nd if 1st doesn't work.

The one thing you definitely don't want to do is shift into 1st as you're coming to a stop and sit through stoplights with the clutch pedal depressed. That'll put premature wear on your thrust washers, and once those wear out, it's time to spend $$$$.
Jeffs9146
Put a 3.0L in it and you won't need 1st gear!! piratenanner.gif idea.gif blink.gif
euro911
QUOTE(stugray @ Oct 27 2015, 08:22 AM) *
Try tightening the clutch cable first.

Once the cables stretch, you need to put a spacer behind the nuts to get enough adjustment to take out the slack.
agree.gif

I'd check all the components in the chain too: bushings, cone screws tight, etc. It's always a good idea to carry a couple of extra cone screws, as well as a clutch cable with a clevis block and nuts in your mobile bag of tricks shades.gif
xperu
I just need to get under the car and look around. The transmission is the only thing on the car I haven't touched except the linkage and bushings; they are all new.
New meaning I replaced everything on the car except opening up the transmission.
Sense I built out from the original 1.8 to a 2.0 about 6 years ago, I have put just over 1000 miles on the car " I have been working out of town". Might just need some adjustments or like some say "it is what it is". Thanks Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.