Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windsheild installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
freezing14
I am getting to the point whre the windsheild is going in,, called around to some glass shop and they think they are wizzard of some sort because of the price they charge and the BS they say to get your business,,, so i decided to do it myself using the butyl tape, i found a place who sell it but they have a couple of size 3/8, 5/16 square round etc,, what is the best one to use

thanks guys pray.gif
riverman
When you find out and actually put your windsheild in, do a little "How To" thread or put it in your blog. I'd like to see how it's done.
aircooledboy
If you have removed all the old seal from the frame, 3/8 round. Only if you have a layer of old butyl left from the removal using a hot knife (unlikely), then 5/16

beerchug.gif And don't forget the primer.
Steve Thacker
Please do not use Butyl tape to install your windshield. Much has changed in the way of safety since the 70's. A windshield is more likely to pop out in an impact with Butyl than with the new glass adhesives on the market, thus increasing your risk for injury. I just had a new windshield put in and the installer would not do it with Butyl tape. The problem is Butyl never really dries and is prone to releasing two bonded objects. Look on google for windshield installation sealants.
aircooledboy
Well, thats partly true. A proper buytl installation is never going to "pop out". The problem with buytl is that it has no meaningful structural integrity. In a average car, the rigidity of the windshield to the frame created by a modern urethane is a necessary part of the structural design of the car in a roll over. That is much less of an issue in a car with a roll bar built into its design like a 914. In a perfect world, a urethane installation is best. Unfortunately, a urethane installation is also not realistic for the inexperienced do-it-yourselfer. Personally, I don't have concerns about the windshield in my teeners which are both buytl installs, because it seems to me if I am in a roll over, and the Targa bar doesn't save me, the windshield strength ain't gonna either. confused24.gif
Steve Thacker
The urethane installation was a no brainer in IMHO. The installer used a special glass primer on a 1/2 inch portion of the glass, let it dry. Then he pulled out a tube and stuck it in a chaulking gun and then proceeded to apply it directly to the inside of the new windshield over that same 1/2 inch black primer. He had already cleaned up the inside of metal on the frame and applied the same primer. He used two suction cups and popped in the windshield. Tapped it slightly in and then squared it away in the metal frame. Then used a razorblade to clean off the excess inside. To me it seemed much simpler than screwing with Butyl and it won't come loose via extreme heat or cold.
freezing14
ok and what is that primer for ,, i urethane the back window and did not use primer ,,, is it going to fall out,, I was gonna get a guy to do it but they all charge too much otherwise i was going to, the car has been completely cleaned and disassembled , so there is no old windsheild to remove or anything to clean and he charge 130$,,,,,WTF, may be i can buy an other tube of urethane, but what is that primer for???
McMark
I'm in the Butyl camp as well. Worked fine for 30, can work fine for 30 more.
davep
The original factory install used a heated wire caulking. Even factory replacement kits did not have that. I have a few of those. You need to have the spacer blocks to ensure the correct depth of the glass into the frame. Otherwise, your trim will not fit correctly.
TheCabinetmaker
I vote on the side of urethane. I 've installed 7 windshields and reinstalled 5 back windows with urethane. No leaks ever. I've used butyl three times on windshields. One of them leaked. Btw, I use the same urethane they use on skyscrapers. Guud stuff!!!!
Steve Thacker
QUOTE (freezing14 @ Mar 9 2005, 04:41 PM)
ok and what is that primer for ,, i urethane the back window and did not use primer ,,, is it going to fall out,, I was gonna get a guy to do it but they all charge too much otherwise i was going to, the car has been completely cleaned and disassembled , so there is no old windsheild to remove or anything to clean and he charge 130$,,,,,WTF, may be i can buy an other tube of urethane, but what is that primer for???

If you primer the surfaces you just get a little stronger bond. If you cleaned the metal on the rear window real good, then I don't think it will fall out in your lifetime. The guy that came to my house and put in the windshield only charged me $50. He did a beautiful job. There are a few freelance installers out there who turn an extra buck on the weekends for themselves. He even fixed a chip on the Mrs car for $25.00. Can't even see where it was repaired!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.