Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB: Version 2 914 Ashtray Cupholder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rnellums
I have finished the beta testing of the second iteration of Ray and I's initial Ashtray Cupholder design.

Click to view attachment

This design is VERY robust, slips into the stock ashtray slot, and supports most drink sizes (I'm still working on a viable attachment for coke cans).

Each cupholder is built from welded waterjet-cut stainless and has a closed-slot design that locks the cupholder into the ashtray slot.

I have been using mine in my 914 for eight months or so now and love being able to slide it open and pop in my drink at the drive through. I'm currently using my "stock" look version, which looks completely stock when closed.

I'm starting off making three versions, described as follows:

Plain $85 Shipped

This version has a flat stainless steel front that can be polished, painted, or covered in the material of your choosing. The flat face extends just to the edge of the dashpad

914 $85 Shipped
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This version is identical to the plain version, but has "914" cut into the front plate. The front plate can be polished, painted, or covered in the material of your choosing. The flat face extends just to the edge of the dashpad. On my first build of this design I only painted the outer face, resulting in the 914 emblem shining through.

Stock $75 Shipped
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This version looks completely stock when pushed back into the dashpad because it re-uses the stock ashtray front (through 73 ashtray front only).

Due to the use of the thicker ashtray front this version requires that the stock ashtray mount be modified.

To perform the modification follow the steps below:

1: Remove the ashtray holder by removing the two screws under the dash and pushing the mount rearward into the dash.
Click to view attachment

2: Use a file to remove 0.5" of rail starting from the back of the ashtray mount on both sides.
Click to view attachment

3: Reinstall
Click to view attachment

rnellums
I'm also still looking into less expensive material options (like Acrylic or Delrin), and potentially some more fashionable and lighter ones (Carbon Fiber anyone?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.