Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for a Car Mechanic for Porsche 914 (URGENT)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschelover60
This is my first forum post here and I'm looking for a car mechanic for my porsche 914 that I urgently need. I'm located in Los Angeles area. Please call me Debbie @ (626) 241-0428 if you know any reputable mechanic to fix my car. Don't email me or text me. Please call me tomorrow October 28. My car is currently in a shop for three weeks and I need to repair my car ASAP!

Alex@ Precision Porsche Marina Del Ray. Worked many years under a famous Porsche wrencher ( sorry can't remember the person name as he's passed a few years ago ).
He knows air cool / 914s
Maltese Falcon
This post has a certain ring to it....might ring a bell of a similar thread of a year/ or so ago idea.gif
7TPorsh
Any idea what is wrong with the car?
76-914
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Oct 27 2015, 10:41 PM) *

This post has a certain ring to it....might ring a bell of a similar thread of a year/ or so ago idea.gif

I know the one your talking about, Marty. Should we send Ron to investigate? shades.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 28 2015, 07:28 AM) *

I know the one your talking about, Marty. Should we send Ron to investigate? shades.gif

How about Velocity's "Garage Squad" ? huh.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 28 2015, 07:28 AM) *

bootyshake.gif
Montreal914
About a year ago, I met Debby while driving in the neighborhood. A couple of weeks ago, she contacted me because her car was broken down. I suggested her to post here and maybe she could find help.

From the limited explanation, it seems like engine knock (rod bearing?). The engine is apparently a 2.7l/4 blink.gif built by her ex husband who is a mechanic.

My understanding is that she has limited resources. I did ask Bruce Stone if he knew of local LA shops and he thought of Leamon in Tujunga. I pm'd Leamon and explained him what I knew about the story. Last I heard (a week or so ago), he was going to contact her.

I guess most of us do our own mechanical work and are not familiar with too many local shop.

I did tell her that if she needed a high performance engine to be rebuilt it would cost serious money. I suggested that she might be better off finding a used engine and swap it, then again you don't know what you will get and who would do it and carry this liability...

It's a bit of a sad story but one can wonder where she did get her maintenance done all of these years. huh.gif Our little cars do need attention once in a while.

That's what I know of the story...

Blue6
The last time they posted asking for help, I recommended Nardi Porsche in Whittier. Been ther for over 40 years. Sergio works on air cooled, always has 914's in there, and has always treated me fair...
jor
This thread could help: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=262508&hl=

It lists a bunch of SoCal shops, all of which were good, reputable, and recommended places.
Blue6
Called and spoke with Debbie, re; this thread. Seems like a nice lady. Original owner of a 1971. Years ago her mechanic ex-hubby built a fancy a$$ large 4, with carbs. All she knows is it started making noise, and over time progressively got louder until it finally died, (NFD). She was told by someone that her "cylinders were slipping."
She recently found TLG auto in North Hollywood, and says she's thinking about having it towed there. Anybody have any info on that establishment?

Leamon, if you see this could you give her a call? She is just looking for direction from a real mechanic biggrin.gif . She has limited funds to throw at it, but she says not $10-$12 thousand she's been quoted for a new engine. I told her I have a trailer, and could help by towing it for her.
The reason she is having people post for her is that she has cancer in one of her eyes and cannot look a any electronic screens...
jor
My 914 is currently at TLG (in pieces, before rust repairs and paint). I certainly recommend their work (Tony handles 356s, Marco the 914s, Steve the more modern Porsches, and they all handle 911s). They are communicative and honest and do good work. They are priced fairly, but not necessarily inexpensively.

Leamon has helped me with my 914. He's an all-around great guy who knows 914s like few others. He might be more gentle -- and will be priced more accessibly -- if there's something seriously wrong in that 2.7 liter T4.
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Oct 28 2015, 03:20 PM) *

. She has limited funds to throw at it, but she says not $10-$12 thousand she's been quoted for a new engine.

All the above shops are good. But in the end if owner has limited $, I would go to Leamond as 1) hes close to Pasadena 2) 914 repairs is not his main job.
The rest of the shops make a living off it, so their labor will not be free and or competitive as Leamond's.
Good luck.
injunmort
this again?
Heeltoe914
Thanks everyone for the recommendation & referrals. Always looking for a new project even though I'm picky about the ones I take. I did talk to Debbie she seems like a nice lady and she has had her car for a long time. From the information I got it does sound like she's going to be in need of a motor. I asked her if she had the original 1.7 that came out and it is nowhere to be found. So at this point either finding a good used motor which I recommend to her considering her budget, Or going through a complete rebuild but she's expecting it to be done in 2 weeks which is not realistic. Anyway she's having it taken to a shop tomorrow in Van Nuys I will be in touch with her to see what they tell her. Than I will make recommendations on whether or not she should proceed or pull the car from there. Thanks again everyone.
Blue6
Thanks Leamon, your the man! Don't want to dump this in your lap, but she sounds like she needs guidance. Dave
jor
"Carma" means being rewarded for good deeds through an amazing collection of Porsches. Wow, Leamon, that photo is awesome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.