Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine cuts out after warmed up @60 - 70 mph
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
p914
My engine started to cut out intermittently on me while driving down the highway about 15 minutes of driving. The engine gets warmed up and then I get this cutting out. Almost wants to die out but I jockey the gas a bit and it continues to run. It doesn't do it at low speeds yet, just higher cruising speeds so far. It's done this the past couple times I drove it. At first I thought maybe some dirt or debris in the fuel line, but then figured it should happen all the time if that was the case. It's about time to adjust the valves again, but it never did that before a valve adjustment.

Anybody want to throw some possibilities out here?
thanks
scotty914
cht loose or going bad. for the loose part as the head expands the cht can get looser. either way buy a new on and put it in with a little anti seize, then you can crank it down prtty well, with out the anti seize you cant crank it down and hope to get it out later
p914
Whats cht?
mudfoot76
Cylinder Head Temperature sending unit
p914
Ahh, Thank you I'll check it out.
ArtechnikA
also check your connections to the coil.
p914
My Electronic Ignition bypasses the coil. Thanks.
bd1308
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Mar 9 2005, 11:26 AM)
cht loose or going bad. for the loose part as the head expands the cht can get looser. either way buy a new on and put it in with a little anti seize, then you can crank it down prtty well, with out the anti seize you cant crank it down and hope to get it out later

yeah thats what happened to my spark plugs.....not a problem anymore tho with the anti-seize
bondo
QUOTE (p914 @ Mar 9 2005, 12:02 PM)
My Electronic Ignition bypasses the coil. Thanks.

What? howzatwork? How does it generate a spark without a coil?
p914
jacobs I.C.E Pak uses it's own torque coil.
Mike D.
Take one of those telescopeing magnet on a stick things and put it down in gas tank. If you pull out rust chunks, problem found. the flakes of rust can cover the screen over the pick up and starve the engine in high rpms.
jwalters
QUOTE (p914 @ Mar 9 2005, 03:14 PM)
jacobs I.C.E Pak uses it's own torque coil.

What are your opinions on that ignition ???

I agree it sounds like CHT area to look at--
p914
QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 9 2005, 01:29 PM)
QUOTE (p914 @ Mar 9 2005, 03:14 PM)
jacobs I.C.E Pak  uses it's own torque coil.

What are your opinions on that ignition ???

The I.C.E pak has been very good. i got it refurbed direct from Jacobs for $100 about 2 1/2 years ago. I had a problem with a slight hiccup before installing it and the Pak smoothed out the hiccup and the engine ran much better.

I checked out the connection on the torquer coil and it seemed a bit loose so I tightened that up. I also had a plug in part of the old smog system that seemed a bit loose and replaced it. Off to road test in a while.

I thought about something in the fuel system but it seems like I would get bad flow all the time if there was something in it. I may end up sticking a magstik down there anyway to see what may be lying in wait huh.gif
Joe Bob
Sounds fuel related to me.....filters, crud in the tank, pump going kaput can result in decreased fuel pressure at high rpms....
TravisNeff
I'll second/third fourth that about the gas tank. Take a flashlight and peer down in there and give your fenders a wiggle. If there is crap in there (and ANY crap in there if FI) take it to a radiator shop to have them clean it out - about $80-100 bucks. Had similar problems to what you describe and this fixed it.
p914
I replaced the fuel pump a couple years ago so it should be oK. Just started to rain a little so I'll have to wait to test drive after tightening the wire to the torquer coil and replugging the smog thingy.

I should check out the fuel cell anyway to make sure it's clean in there and see what I got. It hasn't been a problem in the past. My car has verrrrrry little rust at all. No seriously,, dry.gif Verrrry little if any at all. The guy I bought it from actually had the whole bottom undercoated. There are only 1-2 small paint bubbles by the rear tail light.. He had the car in a garage for 7 years restoring it before he decided to sell.
p914
Light rain stopped and I got out on the test drive. No more cuttin out smilie_pokal.gif
Whether it was the torquer coil wire or the smog plug........the world may never know and I ain't gonna mess wit it lol2.gif

I think it was probably the wire. it was pretty loose.

Thanks to all who shared their ideas. Always great to have lots of input. party.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.