Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got CarbonFiber??? I do !!! :)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mueller
Oh so pretty smile.gif

front lid: 16 pounds
Mueller
no making fun of my disco shirt smile.gif

rear lid: 15 pounds
bernbomb914
Are you happy with the quality?

Bernie
Mueller
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Mar 9 2005, 11:44 AM)
Are you happy with the quality?

Bernie

yes...there are a few tiny scratches that I think will come off with some buffing, I cannot feel them with my finger nail, so it's just from the shipping and shouldn't be a big deal to remove.....

now I just have to contact them about how to take care of them and do the clear coat......now I need a CF engine lid wacko.gif
Joe Ricard
Twice as light. once for the car and once for the wallet laugh.gif
URY914
They even make the driver look thinner! biggrin.gif

Like the mirrors at the fun house.

Paul
bondo
Has anyone figured out if these will work with the stock latches only? (no pins)
Hi_Fi_Guy
Very sharp and oh so sexy.
McMark
I see you shipped them to work. wink.gif Oh, and nice disco shirt. lol2.gif
Rand
Those are sweet. wub.gif
Has anyone seen a carbon fiber front hood withOUT the headlight cutouts? When mine goes on a diet, the popup headlights/motors are outta there.
ConeDodger
Mueller,
What do the stock lids weigh? How much do these things cost?
RR
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Mar 9 2005, 12:48 PM)
Mueller,
What do the stock lids weigh? How much do these things cost?
RR

Yeah! What he said!

Weight differences Please!

Good to hear you're Good again Mike clap.gif

Sc
joea9146
Looks Good.... Can u show a picture of the Backside
mack914
Look great!!!! Can't wait to get mine. wub.gif wub.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (URY914 @ Mar 9 2005, 12:26 PM)
They even make the driver look thinner! biggrin.gif

Like the mirrors at the fun house.

Paul

no, that's the South Beach Diet (and me sticking to it) that is making me look thinner smile.gif

mattillac
let me be the first to say, i hate you mad.gif just kidding. those look sweet aktion035.gif *insert jealous smiley here*
sjhowitson
They look B E A U T FUL...Does getty design have a web site? I would like to look at a hood without headlight cutouts boldblue.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (sjhowitson @ Mar 9 2005, 02:36 PM)
They look B E A U T FUL...Does getty design have a web site? I would like to look at a hood without headlight cutouts boldblue.gif

AFAIK, Getty does not make a front hood sans the headlight covers sad.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (Hi_Fi_Guy @ Mar 9 2005, 08:32 PM)
Very sharp and oh so sexy.

what? the shirt?
laugh.gif
Kevin@ojai.net
Does any one else think that is heavy? What type of bracing do they have in the back & how much? How many layers of carbon is it? It seems like you could get away with 2 or 3 layers of really light weight fiber and have an X shape nomex core on the inside and it would be more then strong enough and weight almost nothing.

-Kevin
Mueller
QUOTE (Kevin@ojai.net @ Mar 9 2005, 02:46 PM)
Does any one else think that is heavy? What type of bracing do they have in the back & how much? How many layers of carbon is it? It seems like you could get away with 2 or 3 layers of really light weight fiber and have an X shape nomex core on the inside and it would be more then strong enough and weight almost nothing.

-Kevin

the backsides look just like the factory lids, bracing and all.....these are the "street" version which are a tad bit thicker, yes they could be made thinner and lighter, but they feel very stout and I feel no flexing at all when I pick them up and shake them.....

Getty does make a "race" version that is lighter

horizontally-opposed
Mike,

Those look awesome!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

My question: will the weave show through paint (as on Ferrari F50s et al) if one were to paint them body color?

pete
Mueller
QUOTE (horizontally-opposed @ Mar 9 2005, 03:57 PM)
Mike,

Those look awesome!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

My question: will the weave show through paint (as on Ferrari F50s et al) if one were to paint them body color?

pete

I cannot feel the weave, so I've have to say no, you it will not show thru the paint.....

the lids have an optical illusion to them, the weave looks like it's under a 5" deep clear coating, very cool...now to get them home and on the car without the wife noticing (and pay off the credit card bill before she sees it wacko.gif )

Marv's3.6six
The lids use the stock latches and do not flex at 100 mph.

You cannot use your springs on front or rear.

The fit is excellent, however they are slightly smaller than stock and have a larger gap all around.

Mine has small scratches also, no big deal.

mack914
After seeing Mike's CFs and for all you newbees out there. You can still be part of the 914club group buy through Getty. Call Neal at 951-686-4386. Either front or back CF lids are $499. Buy both and shipping is $100 anywhere. biggrin.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
Mueller
The lids use the stock latches and do not flex at 100 mph

as long as I still have my anemic 1.8, I don't think I have to worry about reaching speeds high enough to cause flexing smile.gif
Brando
does he make fenders or flares yet?

If so, how would you attach them? Bolts? Rivets? Resin?
Scott Carlberg
While there's NO question the Carbon Fiber would be WAY cooler,
Sheridan's Fiberglass Front Hood weighs the same:
http://ultimate914.com/MOTORSPORTS_WE/Price_Listx.html

Nice pickup Mike.
Randal
Getty does make a "race" version that is lighter

This is what I am getting....

In talking with Neal at Getty, he had some ideas, about how to put a panel in for the headlight areas. Sounded like it would work, but I leave it for him to describe.

Mueller
QUOTE (Scott Carlberg @ Mar 9 2005, 06:12 PM)
While there's NO question the Carbon Fiber would be WAY cooler,
Sheridan's Fiberglass Front Hood weighs the same:
http://ultimate914.com/MOTORSPORTS_WE/Price_Listx.html

Nice pickup Mike.

Sheridan's is listed as a skin, to me, a skin is not a bolt on item with the underside frame/brackets like the Getty Design lids I bought...I could be wrong smile.gif

Jeroen
QUOTE (mack914 @ Mar 10 2005, 01:47 AM)
Buy both and shipping is $100 anywhere. biggrin.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

Issat a promise? laugh.gif
mack914
OK, anywhere in the US. If you want to get technical DA. bootyshake.gif
Jeroen
Figures... just my luck biggrin.gif
Might give Neal a call anyway and check how bad shipping is...
Mueller
pictures of the underside of the lids:

Mueller
and.....
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 9 2005, 08:56 PM)
and.....

schweet! smilie_pokal.gif

does he make the rear lid with a integrated duck-tail ????
wub.gif Andy
914Timo
They look beautiful wub.gif Inside and outside wub.gif wub.gif

Somebody asked something about the weight and said they are heavy. I wonder if they are *REAL* carbon fiber, or are they glass fiber with carbon fiber top layer ??
McMark
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tempted to pull out the credit card and order. Those are so nice. Funny thing is that it's the underside pics that really light me up. 100% stock replacement is gut!
SpecialK
QUOTE (914Timo @ Mar 9 2005, 11:20 PM)
They look beautiful wub.gif Inside and outside wub.gif wub.gif

Somebody asked something about the weight and said they are heavy. I wonder if they are *REAL* carbon fiber, or are they glass fiber with carbon fiber top layer ??

Only one way to tell..............take it to the bandsaw! wink.gif

What color are you going to paint them? rolleyes.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (Marv's3.2six @ Mar 9 2005, 04:23 PM)
The lids use the stock latches and do not flex at 100 mph.

You cannot use your springs on front or rear.

The fit is excellent, however they are slightly smaller than stock and have a larger gap all around.

Mine has small scratches also, no big deal.

If you can't use your springs with the lids would Camp914's hood 'struts' be ok?

can you really tell the difference between gaps with stock lid and the CF ones?
Kevin@ojai.net
Looks like they just attached some metal bracing to the back. Is that correct?

-Kevin
Rand
If you can't use your springs with the lids would Camp914's hood 'struts' be ok?

Definitely adaptable to hood struts. Has anyone been through this who could talk about how they fastened the ends to the CF lid?
Mueller
QUOTE (Kevin@ojai.net @ Mar 15 2005, 04:59 PM)
Looks like they just attached some metal bracing to the back. Is that correct?

-Kevin

nope, the brace on both are plastic, 'glass or carbon fiber with metal inserts for the threads...........

I'm using thin walled aluminum tubing to hold the lids up....
Qarl
Put the pneumatic struts to the braces... not to the lids!

user posted image
Mueller
QUOTE (Qarl @ Mar 15 2005, 05:12 PM)
Put the pneumatic struts to the braces... not to the lids!

user posted image

I thought about that, but you are still putting stress on the lids when you close the hoods...I'm sure it can be done, it's just findind springs/shocks that are not too strong...
ewdysar
Using the Camp914 front hood shocks, the strut is actually helping hold the hood closed when in the down position. When I hit the release, my metal hood doesn't come up hardly at all, I have to lift it to get my fingers to the safety release. This may actually be better than no strut or spring (and I could be totally wrong here).

I really want a new front hood, but I'm trying to keep my priorities....

Eric
Mueller
I really want a new front hood, but I'm trying to keep my priorities....
...minor detail...I need new brakes on all 4 corners, my interior is totally shot, my paint job looks like he//...the list goes on and on, but hey, I've got cool carbonfiber lids to look at when the car is sitting in the garage collecting dust biggrin.gif
Randal
I just received my shipment.

I asked and Getty Design made these parts lighter than Mike's, as they are going on my car, which isn't driven on the road.

I really can't say enough about these parts. Mike's pictures looked great, but when you see them for real you'll know what the word "Quality" is meant to describe.

Getty Design moves to the top of my favorite vendor list!
Series9
Neal called me yesterday for payment. I told him I needed them shipped by April 1st.

They went out today. It's really nice to have things go as planned.

Pictures will follow.
carr914
Getty ROCKS. I ordered alot of 911 C/F along with my 914 hood and this stuff is pretty bitchin. Neal was great to work with and their C/F pricing and quality blows everybody elses F/G away.
T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.