Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 gt's and 2 tone bumpers..... Why?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
Can anyone tell me why some 914 gt's have 2 tone bumpers? Is it just to be noticed on the track? Was it some kind of rule for their class or something?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (jasons @ Mar 9 2005, 02:16 PM)
Can anyone tell me why some 914 gt's have 2 tone bumpers? Is it just to be noticed on the track?

yes.

especially for team running multiple, otherwise identically prepared cars. lets the crew know which one is screaming down pit lane. in-car radios were virtually unknown in the early '70's, especially in Europe.
URY914
When a team has several cars which are painted alike the bumpers are painted different to tell them apart. Even tho the numbers are different.

Even the 936's and 956 that the factory ran at LeMans were different in some way beside the numbers.

Paul
TimT
agree.gif werd, what those two fellas said
william harris
They look cool! cool_shades.gif
lapuwali
You see these small differences in paint schemes in nearly every racing series were there are multi-car teams. In F1, they'll use different colored noses or airboxes, for example. Even when you have radios, the visual confirmation can be quite useful. Numbers are often nearly invisible at speed, even if you make them fairly big.
SirAndy
QUOTE (jasons @ Mar 9 2005, 11:16 AM)
Can anyone tell me why some 914 gt's have 2 tone bumpers? Is it just to be noticed on the track? Was it some kind of rule for their class or something?

so the english drivers knew which side the steering wheel was going to be when they ran up to the car ...

cool.gif Andy
Jeroen
those tricks are still applied today (even in F1)
The Audi LeMans cars had it too (different detail colors - red, yellow or black IIRC)
seanery
you see it quite frequently on mirrors nowadays, especially in salloon, uh I mean touring cars.
xitspd
Because it looks cool!
jasons
QUOTE (xitspd @ Mar 9 2005, 07:42 PM)
Because it looks cool!

agree.gif
redshift
You are all wrong...

It's because a 914 looks the same from both ends, so you can tell which way the car is entering the pits.

smile.gif

M
michel richard
QUOTE (jasons @ Mar 9 2005, 11:16 AM)
2 tone bumpers?

Those are racing bumpers, I don't think they're that heavy . . . Oh, errr, wait.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.