Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
max72914
Hi guys, I am a high schooler, and I just got my 914 back from the shop a couple weeks ago. I have been driving almost every day, and it has been great besides this issue. I walked back to the lot, and my friends who all park together were standing in a group around my car. I thought they were checkimg it out, but instead they were looking at the lake of fluid that spilled. I know for sure it wasn't gas, and it wasnt oil, but it had an oil like color and consistency to it. I figured id just get it home as i live only a couple miles away. So, i started driving, and everything was fine, until i pulled up to a four way intersection, yielding to turn left. I went into neutral, then put it into first(or so i thought) and it stalled. I am good at stick, so i knew it wasnt me. So i tried again, and again. Then i got out and got a few college dudes to push my car so the school bus and 20 cars behind me could move. So, that brings me to now, waiting for a friend to tow me home. My best guess is that it is leaking transmission fluid. It smells really bad too. And it is really hard to shift, and i cant even really get into first, it just makes me go straight into 3rd. . What do you guys think? Thanks
Max
whitetwinturbo
Swepco trans fluid does smell........

Never a good idea to drive any vehicle whereby any fluid is exiting.....
76-914
Find it and fix it. IOW's crawl beneath, clean off the oil until you can trace the leak to it's origin. You did check the engine oil and it was full, right? Only one other item contains oil. The trans will probably have to come out. Did the gearbox sound like marbles in the case before it seized? Valve cover gaskets can blow out also.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(max72914 @ Oct 29 2015, 03:24 PM) *

Hi guys, I am a high schooler, and I just got my 914 back from the shop a couple weeks ago. I have been driving almost every day, and it has been great besides this issue. I walked back to the lot, and my friends who all park together were standing in a group around my car. I thought they were checkimg it out, but instead they were looking at the lake of fluid that spilled. I know for sure it wasn't gas, and it wasnt oil, but it had an oil like color and consistency to it. I figured id just get it home as i live only a couple miles away. So, i started driving, and everything was fine, until i pulled up to a four way intersection, yielding to turn left. I went into neutral, then put it into first(or so i thought) and it stalled. I am good at stick, so i knew it wasnt me. So i tried again, and again. Then i got out and got a few college dudes to push my car so the school bus and 20 cars behind me could move. So, that brings me to now, waiting for a friend to tow me home. My best guess is that it is leaking transmission fluid. It smells really bad too. And it is really hard to shift, and i cant even really get into first, it just makes me go straight into 3rd. . What do you guys think? Thanks
Max

I see you live in Bellingham.....give me a shout with a PM.

Steve
injunmort
debby needs parts and now a push
max72914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Oct 29 2015, 03:54 PM) *

Find it and fix it. IOW's crawl beneath, clean off the oil until you can trace the leak to it's origin. You did check the engine oil and it was full, right? Only one other item contains oil. The trans will probably have to come out. Did the gearbox sound like marbles in the case before it seized? Valve cover gaskets can blow out also.

Yeah i checked the engine oil, and it was fine, i just changed the oil a couple days ago also. Thanks for the advice, max
colingreene
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.