Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Carb questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1973Porsche
Hi all, I have a 73 914 with dual weber 34 ict's. The carbs are currently leaking gas and now I'm debating on what to do. I could have them rebuilt, buy new 34's from redline(they're a trustworthy site right?) or buy a different set of carbs. I eventually want to swap to a 2.0 liter so I'd like to have a good carb that would work with my 1.7 now and my new liter in the future if I decide to swap. I know some of you may say swap back to the old FI system but I don't want to do that at this point. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
r_towle
Send them to ThePaintedMan on here.
He can rebuild them for you.
1973Porsche
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 29 2015, 08:27 PM) *

Send them to ThePaintedMan on here.
He can rebuild them for you.

Thanks I messaged him!
porschetub
QUOTE(1973Porsche @ Oct 30 2015, 02:25 PM) *

Hi all, I have a 73 914 with dual weber 34 ict's. The carbs are currently leaking gas and now I'm debating on what to do. I could have them rebuilt, buy new 34's from redline(they're a trustworthy site right?) or buy a different set of carbs. I eventually want to swap to a 2.0 liter so I'd like to have a good carb that would work with my 1.7 now and my new liter in the future if I decide to swap. I know some of you may say swap back to the old FI system but I don't want to do that at this point. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

How and where are they leaking ?,these carbs are normally very reliable as I have run them on 2 motors,what fuel pressure are you running and what type of pump ??.
At the end of the day they will never be a match for stock FI or twin throat Webers or Dellorto's but set-up right they run pretty well.
I see Kaddyshack are doing maxed out Kadron/Solex's ,IMO they would go well ,the T1 guys get good power with them,would work well on a T4 motor as well.
1973Porsche
QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 29 2015, 09:29 PM) *

How and where are they leaking ?,these carbs are normally very reliable as I have run them on 2 motors,what fuel pressure are you running and what type of pump ??.
At the end of the day they will never be a match for stock FI or twin throat Webers or Dellorto's but set-up right they run pretty well.
I see Kaddyshack are doing maxed out Kadron/Solex's ,IMO they would go well ,the T1 guys get good power with them,would work well on a T4 motor as well.

I wouldn't mind going back to FI but at this point I think it be crazy complicated to go back. And here's a crappy picture showing where it's leaking from.IPB Image
stugray
They are leaking from the Accel pumps.

Those are really simple to fix with the rebuild kit.
You could even do it without even removing the carbs from the car.

I have extra accel pump diaphragms I could send you for free, but there are two different kinds (assuming same as 40 IDF) and you wont know which one you need until you try to replace them.
porschetub
QUOTE(1973Porsche @ Oct 30 2015, 05:07 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Oct 29 2015, 09:29 PM) *

I wouldn't mind going back to FI but at this point I think it be crazy complicated to go back. And here's a crappy picture showing where it's leaking from.IPB Image

Pull the carbs and give them a good clean,firstly check for wear in the spindles.
If they pass that test order and fit kits to them,make sure the float levels are to spec and you are feeding them with the right fuel pressure ,3 psi worked for me.
On one of my type 1 engines I ran the stock mechanical pump and had no issues.
Check aircooled.net they have some good tech advise on carbs.
Mark Henry
I personally don't like them and they are too small for anything but a stock 1600 T1 beetle engine.

Sell them (thesamba) and get a pair of clean Italian Weber IDF's.
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Oct 31 2015, 08:38 AM) *

I personally don't like them and they are too small for anything but a stock 1600 T1 beetle engine.

Sell them (thesamba) and get a pair of clean Italian Weber IDF's.

Yea you are right there but if that's all he has confused24.gif ,my 1.7 T4 went good but go to any bigger motor and you have a venturie issue,shame Weber never made them removable....27mm is a piddly size.
However they are reliable and make good torque but will never be a performance carb.
If I was stuck with single throats I would go for the Kadrons as they can be tuned for 2.0 easily.
1973Porsche
Think I'm just going to have them rebuilt for right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.