Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Megasquirt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Does anybody have one of these that I could buy....I'd like to *eventually* get one for my 1.7, but I don't really know how to build one.....
Mueller
you can buy pre-built units, some off of eBay and others from the megasquirt forum......

I recommend building it, you'll learn more and it's not that difficult.......
lapuwali
Agreed. There are VERY thorough instructions on the Megasquirt site on how to assemble one. If you can wait 2-3 months, then wait. There's a major rev of the board coming out probably around summertime (3.0), which will include a great many improvements (like the ability to do ignition w/o having to hack up the board). One of the best things about MS is the online support available. It's got much better documentation and manuals than many commerical products.

All you need in the way of tools is a soldering iron, solder, and a pair of small diagonal cutters (small, as many of the leads are close together on the board).

Absolutely buy the "stimulator" along with the MS itself. It simulates being hooked up to an engine, and greatly helps testing the board as you assemble it. Building the stimulator will also give you some practice time assembling a board before you tackle the MS board itself.

bd1308
i saw pre-assembled things on ebay for 399--which is alot better than Kit Carlson's 1000 FI system biggrin.gif I will wait then.....
lapuwali
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 9 2005, 02:16 PM)
i saw pre-assembled things on ebay for 399--which is alot better than Kit Carlson's 1000 FI system biggrin.gif I will wait then.....

You can actually do a lot better than $399. There are at least two people who advertise on msefi.com in the products section that offer pre-assembled ECUs for under $250.

The 3.0 unit may very well be more expensive. It has more parts, and the pre-assemblers will probably charge more for them. Still way under what any fully commercial unit will run, though. The Kit Carlson setup is more like $1400, not $1000.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.