Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Window Re-gluing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
how do i do this? what's the risk of my cracking/breaking the rear window? any risk of death? what do i use? does anyone have pictures? I am just SOOOO sick of the rubbing creaking sounds coming from (i think ) the rear window. ar15.gif
double-a
i just replaced mine. of all the things i tried, and there were many, i found the most useful tool to be a good stiff putty knife. just press it into the seam between window and seal, work it around the perimiter, and eventually you'll coax the old seal to let go.

~a
bd1308
so i guess i dont need any Kung Fu skills huh? i'll give that a whirl coming up soon.....LOL my dad told me just to put a lot of silicone cauking in there.....i replied with a head shake and a no dad.....
TravisNeff
go to an auto paint store and pickup some butyl tape, comes in a rope wrapped up like a ciminimuium roll. Remove the seat belt upper anchors, the vinyl trim pieces behind it and the upper targa vinyl trim piece, maybe the backapd. Watch for that upper targa piece, there's screws in the front and down below. Remove teh old window, scrape out all the goo. Clean up and lay your butyl tape in there. Make a full circle and where it meets again you can smoosh the two ends together. Put in the rear window (and use the rubber spacer blocks with the butyl kit, or reuse if you still have yours - at the bottom of the window). Put something against the window to hold some pressure on it and leave it where it is warm (hairdryer may come in handy. reassemble and your done!
scotty b
I dpray a little carb cleaner around the seam and then got at it with a putty knife. The carb cleaner seems to help soften it a LITTLE bit, but you will still need to work the knife pretty good.
Rand
I'm going with Travis' method soon.
My rear window was rattling a bit now and then. For a temporary hack/fix, I used a hot glue gun to force a dob into the gap around the edge here and there. It's been perfectly solid and quiet ever since, and will get me by until I get around to pulling it out and redoing it right. Hot glue dobs come out easily with a pocket knife later.
TravisNeff
I siliconed my first 914's window in the rear, stupid me. did stop the rattles and leaks. But then I later cut up the car after a rear ender and the window would not come out, it did after I busted it though... Never again.
bd1308
glad you told me that one. Butyl tape huh? I'll get me some soon. After spring break of course
Rough_Rider
agree.gif Travis is spot on, thats exactly what i did & am doing again tonight with a lexan window.

If its not already been said use a hot air blower on low to soften up the butyl.

1 final thing, its dead easy to remove the window to engine cover seal while window is out.
Series9
I have never had a 914 that retained its rear window satisfactorily, so I went with a Lexan window for this assembly.

Screw it in and you're done.
TravisNeff
Joe, where's the chicken wire? I'll bring you some at WCC just in case blink.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 9 2005, 02:10 PM)
did stop the rattles and leaks. But then I later cut up the car after a rear ender and the window would not come out

huh.gif

Isn't that the preferred thing to have happen? No leaks, no rattles, and won't come out? confused24.gif
Elliot_Cannon
When you get the glass out, try driving the car without it. It is like really LOUD.
cheers, Elliot
Brando
I used the silicon method too.. all rattles/leaks went away. Took the time while i had everything out to add a lot more padding to the firewall as well. Quieted things up a bit biggrin.gif
Series9
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Mar 9 2005, 04:14 PM)
Joe, where's the chicken wire? I'll bring you some at WCC just in case blink.gif

What the hell are you talking about chicken boy? huh.gif
mightyohm
Are you sure it's the window squeeking and not the targa top?

Jenny
agree.gif That's what I was thinking. Glass rattles, targa top flexing squeaks. At least that's been my experience. Speaking of... how do you get your targa top to stop talking? Mine's driving me nuts! wacko.gif

Jen
SpecialK
A light dusting of talc on the seals may help the squeeking some........or even better, bigger speaker's and a 400w amp! rock_band.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 9 2005, 11:43 PM)
A light dusting of talc on the seals may help the squeeking some........or even better, bigger speaker's and a 400w amp! rock_band.gif

see i TRIED that but you all tore it to pieces dry.gif
redshift
Not the talc idea, Johnny Rocket..

rolleyes.gif

M
McMark
Get a Sammy seal to stop the squeaking. And some Engman frame kits. wink.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Mar 9 2005, 10:03 PM)
QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 9 2005, 11:43 PM)

see i TRIED that but you all tore it to pieces dry.gif

Wasn't me bashin' ya on that one brother......I'm all about LOUD (as long as it ain't CW! barf.gif ) , and a 8" solobaric can cure valve lash noise if you're not into adjusting them. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Try This...

Rear Window Install Thread
SGB
The talc powder idea works well. The point of origen for my squeeks ar15.gif were the two little rubber blocks that are part of the rear latch assembly on the roof panal itself, not the long seal.
bd1308
i should just make some neoprene things that stick on top of those seals....i love neoprene....well neoprene camera straps.
Jenny
QUOTE (McMark @ Mar 9 2005, 11:49 PM)
Get a Sammy seal to stop the squeaking. And some Engman frame kits. wink.gif

I have a sammy seal. (Thanks Sammy wub.gif )

The squeaking didn't start until after I spanked an Audi A4 with my car. That'll teach her. dry.gif

Jen
TravisNeff
Shea is the MAN!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.