Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone who already has turbo anything
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
biggrin.gif Hey guys! Those of you--if any--that have or have had a turbo something with a distributor--I need help with routing my vacuum lines to the advance and retard can--I know there has to be check valves in the system-from what I do remember, I could be wrong---where do they go in relation to the signal pick up points on the manifold / turbo. And where are those vacuum fittings for the signal located? i.e. : on the turbo inlet / or outlet / or manifold / or a combination of the two?.............................
john rogers
If I remember correctly, the vac advance on our 1987 930 connects just below the throttle butterfly. By the time boost is in the distributor is on mechanical advance.
jwalters
Thanks for the input!

So your saying that all the vac advance is taken out of the equation--and just the mechanical--seems good logic--your dizzy can had only one vac connection?
airsix
I'm only piping in to let you know I'm not ignoring your request. I'm using my ECU to control advance/retard, so I don't have any helpful info for you. Sorry.

-Ben M.
jwalters
Thanks--which one are you running--ecu
scotty b
Not to go totally off in another dir. But what did you find out at work? March or Aug?
jwalters
dry.gif Looks like I won't know until I know---nobody knows---I did get my VA benefits results--just made the 20% mark-- dry.gif I think it should have been more--but now my schooling is set at least. So going back to school and taking it "EASY" for awhile is THE thing..20 yrs turning wrenches has taken its toll on my bod--I see all the other "old" mechanics, and do not want to get THAT bad..they are broken down, all sorts of ailments from working way too hard and exposed to way too many toxins w/o proper PPE.

They actually did tell me that since I signed a contract with them already for until Sept. That worse comes to worse I will be there, but my pay may be interrupted for 1-3 months-- due to somebody else's gross incompetence dry.gif

mad.gif

What can u do-- dry.gif

At least I know I have done my bit for king and country--and did it well and did not complain and made rank and kept my nose clean...now it is time to goooooooooo

MecGen
Hey J
20 yrs turning wrenches

Hobby or ?
Been turning the sockets for 24 years...I'm fuckedup,
strong like a bull but poisoned....
Good luck with it
Cheers
Joe

beerchug.gif
jwalters
biggrin.gif Hi joe--no, military aviation---last 5 on Dassault Falcon jets---they are like those honda ads you used to see, you know, " We make it simple" yet there is nothing even remotely simple about that pig. It is a hell for stout airframe, but u pay for it when wrenching on it. We actually have to make sure we have a "small" guy on station, use your imagination for that one....

Same here as you, I am 5'11' and 205 and when I go to the gym I throw weights like candy compared to the "muscle monsters" there, yeah they can lift say 300 lbs for 4 reps, but I can do 200 lbs for 30 easily,,,always get stares, you sure do get strong when u do it for a living. biggrin.gif But my back and elbows are in bad shape and I need to nurse them with an airconditioned office with a view from now on.
Andyrew
What kind of a car is this? I'll tell dad to respond... lol
jwalters
My '72 1.7L

biggrin.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 9 2005, 05:16 PM)
My '72 1.7L

biggrin.gif

for less than $200, you go digital and throw the factory dizzy away.....megasquirt or go with a mallory CDI box with built in boost retard...
jwalters
I have not seen the mallory one--I saw the MSD one, and the cheapest I could find it was 650 bucks--waaaay outta my price range--

Do you know what the best prices for the mallory is going for??
andys
QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 9 2005, 01:57 PM)
biggrin.gif Hey guys! Those of you--if any--that have or have had a turbo something with a distributor--I need help with routing my vacuum lines to the advance and retard can--I know there has to be check valves in the system-from what I do remember, I could be wrong---where do they go in relation to the signal pick up points on the manifold / turbo. And where are those vacuum fittings for the signal located? i.e. : on the turbo inlet / or outlet / or manifold / or a combination of the two?.............................

The short answer is that you can probably run from the boosted side (on the intake manifold) to the vacumm advance pot without issue. In effect you're removing timing (retarding) by the amount built into the vacuum advance pot. This is good when under boost conditions, but it all depends on how much timing is built into the distributor's mechanical advance, and how much boost you're running. If you happen to have a Delco distributor, then locate a pressure retard pot from a '65 Corvair Corsa. It will retard the timing by 8 degrees only under boosted conditions; does nothing under vacuum. I've run turbo cars both ways, and they can be made to work as long as you get the total advance and boosted advance (timing) right for your application. That's the general idea, from my experience.

Andy
jwalters
biggrin.gif Kool beans--thanks
airsix
QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 9 2005, 02:53 PM)
Thanks--which one are you running--ecu

I'm running a MIC3 from PerfectPower. They retired that model a few years ago, but have new models that do more. Mine does what I need. Mueller is right - look into megasquit with ignition control. What are you doing for fuel? Injection? Draw through carb?

-Ben M.
Mueller
Draw through carb?
.....I believe he is going to use carbs which to me is a step backwards, especially if he plans on trying to turn this into a kit for your average person to buy/install.........carbs can and do work, but they are not the optimal device now that affordable alternatives are everywhere smash.gif
jwalters
affordable to those who can afford it-- I have duals already--not plunking down coin on things I cannot afford--if a single 40 can produce 205 hp, dual 40's can produce more, they look cool, and run very well. I would have to purchase everything to put FI back on this car--just ain't going to happen, specially since I am losing my job and going to school full time, not that I would not like to do it, I would very much--maybe in a few years when I start making money like most of you guys laugh.gif
andys
QUOTE (andys @ Mar 9 2005, 04:28 PM)
QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 9 2005, 01:57 PM)
biggrin.gif  Hey guys!  Those of you--if any--that have or have had a turbo something with a distributor--I need help with routing my vacuum lines to the advance and retard can--I know there has to be check valves in the system-from what I do remember, I could be wrong---where do they go in relation to the signal pick up points on the manifold / turbo. And where are those vacuum fittings for the signal located? i.e. : on the turbo inlet / or outlet / or manifold / or a combination of the two?.............................

The short answer is that you can probably run from the boosted side (on the intake manifold) to the vacumm advance pot without issue. In effect you're removing timing (retarding) by the amount built into the vacuum advance pot. This is good when under boost conditions, but it all depends on how much timing is built into the distributor's mechanical advance, and how much boost you're running. If you happen to have a Delco distributor, then locate a pressure retard pot from a '65 Corvair Corsa. It will retard the timing by 8 degrees only under boosted conditions; does nothing under vacuum. I've run turbo cars both ways, and they can be made to work as long as you get the total advance and boosted advance (timing) right for your application. That's the general idea, from my experience.

Andy

Guess I shoulda taken off my 'Merican hat........By your question I wrongly assumed this was a general turbo question aimed at a 'Merican car. As for a P-car turbo specific question, I'll defer that to the folks here.....though I did have a 914 turbo back in the day when.......

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.