Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: So the customer says:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
Went by my old stomping grounds yesterday and hung out with my former boss.
shot the sheet, had lunch,and talked business stuff when he pulls this out.
mattillac
barf.gif
scotty b
One of his/our long time customers seaid he was going down I-95 when the engine made a strange sound and started running kind of rough
scotty b
He pulled into a rest stop, took a leak and kept going, " eventually it smoothed out but never seemed to have full power" laugh.gif
bondo
OWIE! Where's the piston that goes with that?!?!
TimT
that hurts, heres some more car-nage

TimT
Wowsers

TimT
Th inhumanity of it all!

TravisNeff
happy11.gif

that valve guide will resemble the owners sphincty when he puckers up over the bill on the repair

Rand
OMG... "it eventually smoothed out..." wacko.gif
That's painful. Sounds like one of those guys who would believe it if you told him it had a faulty piston return spring. Or perhaps the problem was from overheating due to a bad muffler bearing.

laugh.gif
jwalters
Not bad, not bad--it can be fixed! laugh.gif

Guy brings his Datsun 210 into our shop, says for the last year it has been kinda weird, but it got him around and left it till now---

When I got the head pulled, the exhaust valve was turned 90 degrees to where it should have been, sans stem, and was embedded about 1/3 inch into the combustion chamber, kinda like a dagger, it looked like one. And this guy just kept driving it.....

I actually thought of locating a Datsun A12 motor for a swap--my brother and best friend both had Datsun 110 cars with these in them--1200 cc's of pure fury--They weighed like 1100 lbs-I remember the engine plate saying it was rated for 110 HP DIN---the engine weighed like 85 lbs---could rev that beasty to 8 grand with a stock valvetrain and everything else--man if only I could find one of them--- idea.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 9 2005, 02:07 PM)
OWIE! Where's the piston that goes with that?!?!

sad.gif piston?? what do you mean by piston? There was not one of these "pistons" that you speak of. Tim, is that a race engine that was running at about 13,000? rolleyes.gif
Steve Thacker
F.U.B.A.R blink.gif

TimT
That was a supercup engine, datalogs showed nothing over 8000rpm.The bits were sent to a metalurgist. He found nothing wrong with the crank.. the crank just "broke"

BTW the owner of the engine was going to sue us because of the failure. He was the one who hired a metalurgist, and a Master engine builder to look at our work ( this engine builder guy rebuilds F1 engines etc)

Both the metalurgist, and F1 engine builder say we built the engine right ( which we knew already). Just one of those wierd things.. the crank just broke.

scotty b
idea.gif How bad was the block? doesn't look "destroyed" from the pics
TimT
Block was toast... the rod on the broken throw sawed through the oil journal.. The only thing we saved from that engine were the heads and cam towers ( along with all the intake and external stuff)
TimT
ok just finished dinner... sea scallops and linguine biggrin.gif

some more car-nage

SLITS
Would you like to place a bet on some unusual harmonics being generated?
TimT
We think the rod end failed or the piston siezed in the bore then the rod pulled out of the piston ohmy.gif the rod flailed around and broke the bottom of the cylinder..
TimT
I can hardly look LOL

Brando
Nice!

I hope the DAO mounts that on the wall as a trophy.
MattR
Some JB Weld and it will be like new

biggrin.gif
jd74914
QUOTE (Brando @ Mar 9 2005, 05:23 PM)
Nice!

I hope the DAO mounts that on the wall as a trophy.

agree.gif I have a sick mind like that and that's what I would do happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
yup...

thats one toasted JE piston ohmy.gif
TimT
I hope you guys dont get the wrong idea about our engine building skills... LOL

I just take pics of the most catastrophic failures

We have lots of very strong reliable engines out there...our latest is a four cam twin turbo sequentially injected supercup engine.... the dyno awaits beer.gif

Our test bed engine currently puts 660 RWHP down on the dyno.. at 1.0 bar. This engine runs at up to 1.4 bar....

Unfortunatley we get to much slip when over 1 bar on the dyno...
scotty b
sad.gif Is there something wrong with me that I would rather look at these distruction pics than a brand new set of nikies ot J.E.'s? I too have a destruction collection biggrin.gif
TC/914
" Is there something wrong with me that I would rather look at these distruction pics than a brand new set of nikies ot J.E.'s? I too have a destruction collection"

I worked at a shop that did 914s, and some late model VW buses. We had a wonderful "wall of shame" just inside the shop on the backside of the office wall. All of the best stuff was mounted and tagged like a museum. It was terrific!

Never anything as high-end as your stuff, but sometimes just as catastrophic.

It eventually smoothed right out, huh?

TC
aircooledboy
Hey!!!! I had a crank just like that once!!!!! laugh.gif w00t.gif

Ya know where it is now? In my wood shop being fitted to a plaque so I can hang it on the wall. laugh.gif lol2.gif chairfall.gif

True statement.

beerchug.gif monkeydance.gif happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.