Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery Tenders are they all the same?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
The racecar is stored at the in-laws for the winter so thinking about a battery tender. In the "non-winter" months I would just start the car up once a week or so and let it run (or drive a drive the block a few times) and all is good. Car is now 20+ minutes away so thinking a battery tender would be a good idea.

Any recommendations or are they all pretty much the same? confused24.gif
Bruce Hinds
no, all battery tenders are not the same, some won't charge, only keep up, some will over charge and so on. you'll pay for what you get, just read the material.

As for starting and running the car to charge the battery - that my work, but you'll be doing the engine a real dis-service!
1- starting a cold engine causes the most wear.
2- you must run it long it long enough to get the engine good and warm so it burns off the moisture that's accumulated from condensation. Everytime you run it to heat it up, on the cool down it draws in outside air(and moisture) as it cools. That water vapor settles on the internal engine parts.

Pickle the engine if you're going to leave it for the winter and take the battery home.
DBCooper
This is an especially important subject with motorcycles since they're typically not used in the cold/winter months. And something curious that I've never understood is that little MC batteries cost about the same as big automotive batteries, so it makes sense to take care of them. I use the Optimate chargers, models 3 and 4, and they're excellent. The better digital chargers cost more but they monitor the battery and will cycle through charge rates and types, depending on what the battery needs. The good ones even have pulsing "de-sulphuring" cycles that can actually recover a failing battery, even gel and AGM's. Here, a sampling of reviews: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-battery/

GeorgeRud
I've just stuck with the Battery Tender brand as they seem do OK and seem to support the old car hobby. I believe they do use the charge/discharge type of cycle so they don't continually keep charging and boil out the batteries.

Optima also makes some battery chargers/maintainers that should work well with their batteries, but I've never used one of theirs.
MJHanna
Look at CETK they are both a battery charger and a tender. A lot of their models will charge a AMG type of battery ( which requires a different charging voltage than a standard).
URY914
I have a CTEK after much research on several forums.
jim_hoyland
CTEK had a number of models and price points; what models are recommended ?
PlaysWithCars
I started out with cheap HF tenders and boiled a battery; ruined the battery and made a mess of the car. Switched to Battery Minder (not Tender) which has a desulfation mode. I've been using it for 10ish years and have had zero problems on standard lead acid, AGM, and deep cycle boat batteries. I rotated around to each on about a monthly basis when they're not in use.
porschetub
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Nov 1 2015, 03:54 PM) *

I started out with cheap HF tenders and boiled a battery; ruined the battery and made a mess of the car. Switched to Battery Minder (not Tender) which has a desulfation mode. I've been using it for 10ish years and have had zero problems on standard lead acid, AGM, and deep cycle boat batteries. I rotated around to each on about a monthly basis when they're not in use.

Yea ,cheap battery chargers a really just that,I lost 2 batteries for that reason but have the issue of a lot of cars ...some not used much.
Have a smart charger and its very good ,I can do the cars,scooter and the kids go-kart,great chargers but they won't lift a really dead battery,someone tell me why????.

cary
I have Tender Jr's on everything. Cars, lawn mowers and 4 wheelers. After first NAPA one died in year 2. I've used the Jr's every since. I have a big box and a trickle charger to bring them back from the dead.

somd914
I have a CTEK Multi 7002 and a Battery Tender Jr.

The CTEK has more capabilities such as de-sulfication mode which has helped re-condition a weak battery and will also charge a dead battery, but the unit is about 2.5 times the cost of a Battery Tender Jr.

Both seem to work fine with keeping a good battery topped off.
thelogo
This was recommend from members here

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/943...EJsTv-QH0mZKQBQ

Has worked great and I like the price too

Shout out to the cheap s o b

I have no idea what the difference is from a , charger to a trickle'e r or a maintainer is

But this one has been solid for me .. but to be honest , fossil fuel and combustion has always been a lot more easily understood and reliable for me then batteries and electronic s . 1 battery to start the car is as complex as I need

So if electric cars are the future , I might be buying a racing green triumph motorcycle soon

But another topic for another thread

""

Baseball is a red-blooded sport for red-blooded men. It's no pink tea, and mollycoddles had better stay out. It's a struggle for supremacy, a survival of the fittest."

driving-girl.gif
GaroldShaffer
Thanks guys I will be looking at a CTEK or Tender Jr. I think either one will work best for me.
Porschef
Garold, I've been using this for a couple years now, works great.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(Porschef @ Nov 1 2015, 09:25 AM) *

Garold, I've been using this for a couple years now, works great.

Click to view attachment

Dude....spend the 75 cents and put a cover on that outlet! smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.