Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big fuel smell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeemerSteve
After putting a few gallons of fuel in the other day I went out to drive and noticed the fuel smell inside my trunk has gotten worse....so out with the tank! Anything for me to watch out for while taking it out?

Thanks in advance.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Oct 31 2015, 12:45 PM) *

Perfect....tanks for that!! I actually have an extra tank that will be put in its place. I'm still learning about 914's even if I owned one over 30 years ago.
altitude411
Yep, that's what makes this site so fantastic. Help when we can and learn when we can't. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
Swapping tanks may or may not be your issue. See if you can find the obvious leaks either near the filler neck, or underneath.

Then again, if the whole tank is rusty, change it.

Lastly, don't forget that gas fumes and open flames don't mix. Proceed with caution.
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(RobW @ Nov 1 2015, 05:25 AM) *

Swapping tanks may or may not be your issue. See if you can find the obvious leaks either near the filler neck, or underneath.

Then again, if the whole tank is rusty, change it.

Lastly, don't forget that gas fumes and open flames don't mix. Proceed with caution.

Will do!! Also, my garage just has an electric water heater instead of gas....much safer too!
Thanks!
GaroldShaffer
It could be just as simple as the gasket on your gas cap is hard and doesn't seal very well anymore. 914rubber sells new gaskets.
boxstr
Four bolts removes the front hoOd, makes it a lot easier to access the front.
Craig at CAMP
porschetub
QUOTE(boxstr @ Nov 2 2015, 06:57 PM) *

Four bolts removes the front hoOd, makes it a lot easier to access the front.
Craig at CAMP

Had my tank out 3 times never removed the hood,I agree with checking the filler gasket mine was mush,the 914rubber one is a perfect fit.
Might pay to check the condition of the evap tank hoses,they tend to dry out and split also.
jmalone
The fuel lines from the tank to the tunnel are a possible culprit the original fabric covered hose degrades and seeps( especially with ethanol fuel.) Tangerine Racing has many of the parts ,tank strainer, fuel filter, fuel hose, the correct hose clamps and the upgraded (and fire preventing) stainless steel fuel line kit. You should also consider having the tank "boiled out at your local radiator shop.

Have fun! smile.gif
BeemerSteve
QUOTE(jmalone @ Nov 2 2015, 11:10 AM) *

The fuel lines from the tank to the tunnel are a possible culprit the original fabric covered hose degrades and seeps( especially with ethanol fuel.) Tangerine Racing has many of the parts ,tank strainer, fuel filter, fuel hose, the correct hose clamps and the upgraded (and fire preventing) stainless steel fuel line kit. You should also consider having the tank "boiled out at your local radiator shop.

Have fun! smile.gif

What size are the fuel lines from the tank to the tunnel? I have not yet pulled the tank so I'm getting parts ready before I do. I had a spare tank out of the body I bought that had zero rust in it but still sent it out to be cleaned and sealed from the rad shop in town.
Thanks all!!
Rotary'14
You might be interested in some tunnel lines,,
www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=110158

-Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.