Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil filter after rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Well, I am at the point where I would like to put the oil filter on and was wondering if I should fill it with oil first? Seems like I read that somewhere.
JoeSharp
Allan are you going to bring the motor to with oil pressure already up? It took me 15 minutes of cranking to bring up the oil pressure. I don't know if it matters (filling the filter). It just seemed like it took forever.
Joe
Aaron Cox
even at oil changes, i fill the filter up before installing. enures me that the engine will have oil at startup...
JoeSharp
On a new motor I don't put the plugs in till it has pressure.
Joe
Allan
I think I'll just wait then until the start up. Thanks guys.
Aaron Cox
what is left to do on the motor pops?
SirAndy
QUOTE (Headrage @ Mar 9 2005, 05:36 PM)
and was wondering if I should fill it with oil first?

yes, yes and yes ...

beerchug.gif Andy
Allan
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 9 2005, 06:09 PM)
what is left to do on the motor pops?

Top sheet metal, plenumn and intake runners. Not much really.
Dave_Darling
Definitely pre-fill the filter with oil!!

If you didn't pack some sort of assembly lube (I hear some have used Vaseline??) into the oil pump before you installed it, then it's a pretty decent idea to take a turkey baster and squirt clean oil into the oil pickup tube inside the oil sump. I've found that I can get oil pressure pretty quickly if there's a little bit of oil in the pickup tube.

--DD
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Mar 9 2005, 07:38 PM)
Definitely pre-fill the filter with oil!!

If you didn't pack some sort of assembly lube (I hear some have used Vaseline??) into the oil pump before you installed it, then it's a pretty decent idea to take a turkey baster and squirt clean oil into the oil pickup tube inside the oil sump. I've found that I can get oil pressure pretty quickly if there's a little bit of oil in the pickup tube.

--DD

yup. i have used vaseline while packing a pump. cool.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Mar 9 2005, 06:43 PM)
yup. i have used vaseline while packing a pump. cool.gif

do you remember his name? idea.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 9 2005, 09:38 PM)
yup. i have used vaseline while packing a pump.  B)

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif chairfall.gif barf.gif
Aaron Cox
OH.....you SUCK laugh.gif lol2.gif barf.gif barf.gif pray.gif
bondo
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Mar 9 2005, 08:38 PM)
yup. i have used vaseline while packing a pump.  B)

Oh man, I laughed till it hurt! I can't think of a smiley that does this one justice.
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif
skline
Yes, Wait till you come down for the startup party, I will explain why you should not put oil in the filter.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 9 2005, 09:57 PM)
Yes, Wait till you come down for the startup party, I will explain why you should not put oil in the filter.

blink.gif

contrary to popular belief.....????
you cant say that and walk away.... ohmy.gif
Rhodes71/914
I've been told by some mechanics that it doesn't make a difference whether you fill the filter or not. confused24.gif
skline
I have reasons and I dont want to start any bashing here but I have a legitimate, and from a reliable source reason to not fill the oil filter in a NEW engine. Only in person will I tell you. smile.gif
SpecialK
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 10 2005, 12:21 AM)
I have reasons and I dont want to start any bashing here but I have a legitimate, and from a reliable source reason to not fill the oil filter in a NEW engine. Only in person will I tell you. smile.gif

Okay.....not you got me freakin' out Scott! hide.gif

I'm "poppin' the cherry" on the 2.0L for my '73 this spring, and I was planning on filling my oil filter prior to cranking it over. Have anything with cold oil the filter and the high revs required when breaking the cam in? confused24.gif
JoeSharp
Break-in starts when you slide the cylenders on. Every time you turn the motor it rubs parts. Your pre-lube should take care of all motion in the motor until it builds compression. If you fill your motor with oil and let is sit it will delute your per-lube. So don't put oil in the motor untill your ready to start it ( that is not to say that filling the oil filter is wrong) It could save you a minute before you go to the panic. I heard so much stuff going on in my start-up that I could not belive it. My goal was to do the 20 minutes or blow-up the new motor, and I got through. The first thing I did was run for the stephascope. Jumping through my ass I listened everywhere. Lots of ticking (loud ticking), but thank God no KNOCKING. The longer it ran the quiter it became.
I'm really looking forward to this just to whacth the peoples faces. Good Luck Allan.
biggrin.gif Joe
Allan
Okay, no oil at all until the 2nd. I will be brining enough for the first fill and an oil change. 20 - 50 non-detergent.
nebreitling
QUOTE (skline @ Mar 10 2005, 12:21 AM)

well then, could you pm me with your reasoning? i'm starting up a new motor this weekend and i'd like to know what's up...

n
ArtechnikA
it's prety much impossible on a 911/914.6, since the filter is horizontal.
and it doesn't matter anyway, since the oil tank feeds the pressure pump and the filter is just the last stop before the tank on the scavenge side ...
bondo
I have a theory. Since the filter is after the oil pump, any oil in there will have to be immediately pushed into the engine. With a fresh rebuild the pump has to be primed, and any work it has to do wile priming itself will make it harder to prime. (like pushing oil through the engine) If you have an empty filter, it can just squirt oil into it while it's priming, which would be less work. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. smile.gif

If this theory is right, then an even better solution would be to leave the filter off, and crank until you start making a mess, THEN screw on a filled filter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.