Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: speedo screamin like a banshee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
arsprod
Over about 20mph my speedometer is screaming like a wild banshee and unless I'm in hyperdrive and don't know it saying I'm going 120-150 mph. Disconnecting the cable (which I just replaced) makes it stop.

Are these speedos user serviceable or do I need to send to someone for repair?
ConeDodger
Cable?

That is the service item. I'd be blink.gif if it was the gauge itself...
arsprod
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 2 2015, 12:35 PM) *

Cable?

That is the service item. I'd be blink.gif if it was the gauge itself...

Nope, replaced cable and still there.
jor
QUOTE(arsprod @ Nov 2 2015, 09:46 AM) *

Over about 20mph my speedometer is screaming like a wild banshee and unless I'm in hyperdrive and don't know it saying I'm going 120-150 mph. Disconnecting the cable (which I just replaced) makes it stop.

Stop driving between 120 and 150 mph?
porschetub
QUOTE(arsprod @ Nov 3 2015, 05:46 AM) *

The speedo head isn't too hard to work on ,gears are availiable from several vendors or ebay.
However getting the bezel off can be a real mission,its not so much getting it off it's doing so without destroying it.
There is a guide on Pelican detailing the procedure,I have done 3 gauges now and it tests your skills.
Your only option is to get a good used one or farm it out to a shop to repair if you don't feel happy doing it yourself.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(jor @ Nov 2 2015, 01:48 PM) *

av-943.gif lol-2.gif
arsprod
QUOTE(jor @ Nov 2 2015, 12:48 PM) *

It's a porsche, it s'posed to go fast?!
arsprod
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 2 2015, 12:56 PM) *

QUOTE(arsprod @ Nov 3 2015, 05:46 AM) *

The speedo head isn't too hard to work on ,gears are availiable from several vendors or ebay.
However getting the bezel off can be a real mission,its not so much getting it off it's doing so without destroying it.
There is a guide on Pelican detailing the procedure,I have done 3 gauges now and it tests your skills.
Your only option is to get a good used one or farm it out to a shop to repair if you don't feel happy doing it yourself.

holy frijoles, those little gears are expensive! there's a guy on ebay from Manassas, VA advertising rebuild/repair for $85. Anyone know who he is?
barebrad
Contact timothy_nd28 on here as member. He provides a service of adding LED lighting to the gauges, but he is also very good at rebuilding the internals. I've used him and can't say enough good things about him...
jimkelly
if you hook your guage to the cable but not have speedo installed, but have cable less kinked, does speedo still make noise?

i found a kinked ( aka: too tight a radius ) cable can cause speedo noise. at least that is what i think. i have not installed a new cable to verify.
r_towle
North Hollywood speedo
orthobiz
QUOTE(barebrad @ Nov 2 2015, 04:33 PM) *

Contact timothy_nd28 on here as member. He provides a service of adding LED lighting to the gauges, but he is also very good at rebuilding the internals. I've used him and can't say enough good things about him...

+1. Tim is a standup craftsman and a valuable member of 914world.

Paul
arsprod
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Nov 2 2015, 10:20 PM) *

QUOTE(barebrad @ Nov 2 2015, 04:33 PM) *

+1. Tim is a standup craftsman and a valuable member of 914world.

Paul

Emailed him, thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.