Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tach not working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brooks944
.I had some electrical issues and a local 914world member came by and got me straightened out, this is a great community! The car runs fine, but I do have one new issue now in that my tach isn't working. I suspect how the coil is hooked up is the issue. A picture is attached, and here is a description of how it's connected now:
-two black wires tied together with a single connector to negative
-single black wire connected to negative
-white wire connected to positive
-green wire connected to positive

Looking at some other related posts,mine look off, for example I've seen references that the green and white are be on negative. Do I just need to switch all these from one side to the other? Is that why the tach isn't working (it was before changing the coil)?

Thanks,
Rick
Click to view attachment
TheCabinetmaker
Large black wire-+ side of coil.
Black with purple - side of coil.
Green- condenser
jim_hoyland
If the tach is not working and it is on the - side of the coil, try checking the continuity between the end at the tach and the end by the coil. It's possible that the tach wire met an untimely meltdown.
Dave_Darling
First: How confident are you that you know which connector on the coil is (+) and which is (-)? They're the same shape and size, after all, so they can be switched.

Second: The wires should be-
Black wire, possibly with a red stripe. Has +12V when the key is on, provides power to the coil. Goes to the (+) coil terminal. Sometimes the red (if present) can fade.
Green wire. Carries the signal from the points, comes from the condenser. Goes the the coil (-) terminal.
White wire (1.8 liter L-jet only). Carries the points signal to the fuel injection so it knows when to open the injectors. Goes to the FI's ECU (or "brain box"). Connects to the (-) terminal.
Black wire with a purple stripe. Thinner than the above wire. Carries the tach signal from the points. Connects to the (-) terminal.

I don't recall seeing any doubled-up black wires attaching to the coil.

It's possible that someone has monkeyed with the wiring on your car, so the color codes may not be correct. Either inspect to make sure the wires go where they should, or use an ohmmeter to check continuity to make sure they are going where they should be going.

--DD
jim_hoyland
The doubled black wire at the coil + is correct; incoming from the 12 pin relay at the relay board, and an outgoing over to the dual relay. Typical of the L-Jet set up... smile.gif
brooks944
Thanks this is very helpful. I can see the + and - on the coil so am confident of that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.