Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: NOS Passenger Suspension Console - WITHDRAWN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
GregAmy
Item no longer for sale, placed in the loft as a potential future spare.

What is this, and what is it worth? My street and race cars are certified-Foley rust-free (or already repaired) so I won't be using it. And I owe Chris money toward the race car build....wink.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
BeatNavy
Here's a new one from RD for reference: Suspension Console.
VWTortuga336
Is that driver or passenger side?
SirAndy
QUOTE(VWTortuga336 @ Nov 3 2015, 03:32 PM) *
Is that driver or passenger side?

Passenger side since it has the MPS mount on it ...
shades.gif
GregAmy
Thank you for the references.

If this interests anyone, feel free to PM.

GA
VWTortuga336
I'm interested. Just sent you a PM.
mbseto
PM sent- if first deal doesn't work out.
stevegm
PM sent.

Dumb question - I am assuming you don't need the MPS mount on a 6? Do you just take the mount off?
mepstein
Not trying to piss on the sellers sale but didn't the repro have the "wrinkle" and the original did not.
stevegm
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2015, 10:57 AM) *

Not trying to piss on the sellers sale but didn't the repro have the "wrinkle" and the original did not.

"Wrinkle?" Not familiar. Do tell. Please.
mepstein
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 11 2015, 11:03 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 11 2015, 10:57 AM) *

"Wrinkle?" Not familiar. Do tell. Please.

Lower right on the part. Has no effect on anything and I could very well be wrong.
rgalla9146
Not to be too picky but......
NOS is a big stretch if it is not an original equipment part.
stevegm
Are you guys thinking this is a repro part, like RD? Rather than NOS.
mepstein
QUOTE(stevegm @ Nov 11 2015, 08:13 PM) *

Are you guys thinking this is a repro part, like RD? Rather than NOS.

Pete at RD would be the best person to ask.
rgalla9146
This was never available as a separate part, it could be had but only attached to a whole rail assembly.There were pictures of an OE assembly on this site recently.
Luke M is looking for one.
Yes, the part for sale is aftermarket.
Just as with aftermarket flares, there were some stamping "wrinkles".
At the time it was far better than harvesting a "good" one from a wreck.
Ask me how I know.
GregAmy
Been watching this with popcorn[1].gif

After some cursory checks, I think the above is mostly correct: this is possibly an aftermarket part. I checked in the OE part fiche (well, PDF) and it does appear to be a part of a larger sub-assembly. I can't find the diagram online for the 1974, but here's the 1976:

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

Rear frame parts, right? Go to page 190 of the PDF and you can see the diagram. It actually was available separate from the frame rail, but the diagram shows the OE parts illustrates some kind of longitudinal bracing.

So what do I have here? Where did it come from? Sure this isn't an NOS part? Looks like a NOS part; same exact primer, same basic construction quality as some other NOS parts I have. But no parts sticker (and I was a parts manager for a VWPoA dealer in the 80s, so I'm familiar with what this stuff looked like*). This came with the car as a spare bit; neither my street nor race car has an immediate need for this repair panel. And since it's available aftermarket I don't need to hoard it.

GA

* Fun story: when Porsche cleaved its parts network from VWoA -- 1984-ish? -- VW sent a complete warehouses inventory list of all Porsche parts in stock. They were trying to get dealers to buy the inventory, I'm guessing so it would make the split easier (no shipping of parts to Reno, etc). Everything was going for fire sale prices (everything must go!!) I spent some time going through that list to see what might be there.

In addition to the standard stuff, one thing that caught my eye was a compete engine assembly number that I did not recognize... so I looked it up. It was a complete, top to bottom with external accessories engine assembly for the 4-cam 356. Yes, the Carrera/904 engine. Here was a factory new old stock engine, complete with shrouds, everything...and I don't remember the exact number, but it was for something stoooopid cheap like $2500.

I literally ran to the dealer principal's office with this information, imploring him to let me buy that engine now!!! How that thing wasn't already scabbed was beyond me, but the parts system said it was still there in the warehouse.

And he wouldn't do it.

I begged to him the significance of it, its value both historical and financial, and how it could be turned over immediately for stooopid money, but he wouldn't budge, telling me if it was such a killer deal I should buy it...but I was still in university, no way I had that kinda coin. He wouldn't even front me the money as a loan. I had to let it go.

To this very day I wonder who got that engine. Nemesis!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.